New Puppy Broken Leg :(

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 15 week old Golden Retriever was playing with me Friday night and fell over backwards like he's done many times in the past. When he got up he was screaming in pain and his ankle or hock as they call it in the dog world was pointing like 90 degrees to the outside of him.

We immediately took him to my Vets recommended Emergency Clinic and $796 dollars later (1 hour) they took X-Rays and put his leg in a cast stating I should see a surgeon right way for a consultation to see if surgery was needed.

I sat there for 20 minutes looking at the X-Rays and could not see a break to me it looked like he dislocated his ankle. When we first left for the Emergency Clinic his ankle was still pointed almost 90 degrees in the air but during the 30 minute drive his ankle by itself went back into normal position. The only think I noticed in the X-Rays was where the leg and the ankle sockets come together looked slightly mis-aligned.

Looking around on the Net appears that Surgery is around $2500!

Mac

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Poor puppy! When large-breed dogs mature, their weight can wreak havoc on their joints, but it's more unusual for it to affect puppies. I'm glad nothing actually got broken, but give him a big kiss from me anyway. :kiss:

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love dogs and I'm sorry to hear about your puppy. My dog hurt her back last year and she was nearly paralyzed from the mid-back down. Very sad. Thankfully, she's like 98% recovered and is back to her crazy running self.

Just be glad you didn't have a horse with a broken leg. Apparently, the only treatment for that in horses is a bullet to the head. :mecry:

warlord

Enlightened
From how you described the events it doesn't sound like it could be a fracture. It sounds like you've said, a dislocation.

Most breaks at this age are of the greenstick variety, which is like trying to snap a green twig. It bends and cracks but doesn't break. These types of fractures are usually hairline and not visible to the untrained on x-ray but, they would not cause a appendage to stick out at odd angles.

I hope your pup is feeling better and I hope you get some good news.

Dawg

Enlightened
Thoughts, prayers and all around good vibes to you and your pup......keep us posted. I hope it was a dislocation. The little buggers are quite flexible when that young.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bring him in to the Surgeon for a consultation at 2pm today. Thanks for the comment guys.

Here he is when we first got him (15lbs)

P1010211_E-vi.jpg

In under 2 months (35.5 lbs)

P1010798-vi.jpg

Leg Xray

KCXray-vi.jpg

Crop of the problem area

KCXray_Crop-vi.jpg

Last edited:

houtex

Enlightened
My pup broke his leg once also at 12 weeks old. Seems like he spent forever in a cast. vet prescribed a calcium supplement. He's 10 yrs old now. Not a problem since. It was called Sure Grow. Good luck with that pup. By the way here's a pic of dogs
allmydogs026.jpg

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mac,

Sorry to heard about your pup! That's horrible news. I hope he gets fixed up soon for you. That's a tough age for them to get hurt too, because all they want to do is play and they don't want to rest and let it heal up.

I tried to look at the x-ray you provided and I agree, its pretty hard to see any obvious fractures (that's good). But its hard to tell without looking directly at the actual x-ray.

Definitely let us know how you make out.... and good luck!

MSax

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm droping him off in the morning on the way to work. There going to put him under and try to reset the ankle joint. There is a chance they may have to open his leg up to do it.

Friday Emergency visit cost me $796 for X-Rays and for them to put on a temporary cast. Tommorrow's visit is going to be around $600 if they do not have to open him up......:(

Mac

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm droping him off in the morning on the way to work. There going to put him under and try to reset the ankle joint. There is a chance they may have to open his leg up to do it.

Friday Emergency visit cost me $796 for X-Rays and for them to put on a temorary cast. Tommorrow's visit is going to be around $600 if they do not have to open him up......:(

Mac

:eek:

Here's hoping they don't have to open him up.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
How's the puppy doing?

He's doing well. I was told they just re-aligned the bone and then put a splint on him. The tuff part is he has be inactive for 3 weeks. I have to go back on monday to have the spint removed.

The only thing that worries me is that since the break / fracture was at the growth plate there is a possibility that the leg may stop growing or can grow crooked at that end of his leg. He has to have X-Rays once a month until he is around 8 months old.

Mac

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hope he is feeling better Mac, always hard to see the babies in pain.

Thanks......He's feeling fine and thats a problem. He wants to walk around the house and outside. As soon as I brought him home yesterday he gave me a little attitude when I would'nt let him get up :)

Mac

Last edited:

jayhackett03

Enlightened
i'm hoping to get this guy in a week or so...but someone else has him on reserve now, hopefully i'll get him. just thought i'd share.

MO105.10651360-1-x.jpg