The Worlds 1st LED moving light

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I'd venture to guess they copied Color Kinetics (or at least made a good mimic of them) to make these lights. I do like the appearance of them when compared to the Color Kinetics C-75 lights though - more "finished" looking and less "industrial" in appearance than the C-75s, and the extra lenses they include might give them a hair more versatility than the CK lights have.

Wonder if these have rows of DIP switches and external control inputs like the CK C-series lights have.

papasan

Enlightened
DMX controlled lights all have dip-switches (all the ones i've seen at least). they are digital and you need to number each instrument so that the controller knows which is which. the dip switches number the unit so that when the controller says 'light #5 tilt 45 degrees' only light #5 moves.

btw, 35W is waaaay too small for industrial lighting.

lightnix

Enlightened
I have immense respect for Color Kinetics and the way they are bringing LED technology to the world. I would certainly have no hesitation in describing them as leaders in the field. However, I would also say that in many ways I regard Chromacore® as a new name for an old trick. Varying the mark/space ratio to control brightness is something that thyristor dimmers have been doing since the 1960s and although the application of this idea to LEDs relies on more on persistance of vision than thermal inertia to create the dimming effect, it cannot be regarded as a totally original idea. Again, no disrespect to CK intended, they are working very hard and deserve to do well.

I know that 35W is too low for industrial lighting. The Droplet is a very small unit, designed more for indoor / display use. It is in many ways a test bed for the ideas and larger / other instruments are, I'm told, in the pipeline.

Other contenders in the field are the Pulsar Chromarange. Their Chromabank battens are starting to appear everywhere over here. Also striding along are James Thomas Engineering (previously best known for their aluminium trussing) with the Pixelrange line of fixtures. Another UK company whos name has been bandied about recently is NJO Technology, although their site has been "under construction" for some months and I have no real info on them. Back in Holland again there's Lagotronics and their Lagoled system, although the site is being rebuilt at the moment.

Hope this all serves to add to the knowledge base.