Gift light for my daughter the cop...

Canardly

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to give a good light to my daughter who works the night shift for a local police dept. Price is not much of an issue, and I'd like to know she's heading into situations with an excellent view of things when the sun goes down. What recommendations does everyone have? Many thanks.

maxa beam

Banned
If you want absolute safe-of-mind, get a Surefire. It won't shoot rockets out it's bezel, but it's the best light manufacturer I know of.

She's an officer, so she'll be working in drastically different situations and will need to pair it with a firearms from time to time. And you said price isn't an issue..
I'd get a Surefire Optimus. Why?
It's a SUREFIRE, man. That means waterproof to one atmosphere, bulletproof ruggedness, reliability(Their main customer is the military, after all.), performance... Everything. Ask any given member here what the best brand of flashlight is and nine out of ten will tell you "Surefire".
Oh, yes. The Optimus. Almost forgot. It has a maximum of a scorching 200 LUMENS, more than any of the mentioned lights. Surefire is pretty much the only company that uses an integrating sphere to measure lumen output. Other manufacturers measure torch lumens, while Surefire measures out-the-front lumens. A 100 lumen Surefire is usually brighter than a 150 lumen other-brand. The leds are sorted, making sure you won't get a fluke. It has one LED of unknown make, but whatever it is, it must be pretty efficient. The Optimus has 11 settings..
1: Off.
2: SOS
3: 2 Lumens.
4: 4 Lumens.
5: 8 Lumens.
6: 15 Lumens.
7: 30 Lumens.
8: 60 Lumens.
9: 120 Lumens.
10: 200 Lumens.
11: Strobe.
The lowest, 2 lumens, runs for 100 hours. Judging from the runtime of Surefire's combatlights, which also run on two 123s, the Optimus' highest setting will be available for a long time.
It also has a Military-Spec Type 3 Hard-Anodize coating. It's a beautiful black coating of aluminum oxide, a substance up there with diamond and other precious gems. It's chemically grown onto the surface, so don't worry about paint chipping! Very few manufacturers provide mil-spec anodize.

It also has a stepped-down body and rubber grip. It's called combatgrip, and provides an amazingly secure grip.
That may be a little hard to picture, or maybe I'm just relieving your eyes with some eyecandy of this beautiful flashlight. Either way, have a picture.
policestuff_2001_208899501

The Optimus also has a fuel guage led. It glows green when the battery is full, orange when medium, red when low. I haven't thought of this, but that could also serve as a locater if you dropped the flashlight.
Oh, that's not all. It has a magnetic selector ring for cycling through the modes, and if you don't feel like doing that and need maximum power RIGHT THEN, press the MaxBlast tailcap.
OH, and some more features.
The Optimus also has an adjustable focus beam and a total internal reflector, meaning it gathers almost ALL of the light from the LED, while reflectors gather less. But, anyways, variable focus. It focuses the beam into either a pleasing wall of light(Indoor use, maybe.), or a sharp, piercing beam for throwing lots of lumen very far. And ask any member of the forums if the Surefire L4 is an amazing wall-of-light illumination tool, or if the L1 is an amazing thrower, and most, or all, will say yes. The beams on Surefires are some of my favorite. (The L4 in particular.)
It works by having a rippled "plate" over the total internal reflector, which moves further or closer to the TIR, redistributing the energy of the light. It, theoretically, would work great, with minimal light loss. Other focusable flashlights, like maglites, move the reflector further away from the beam, or closer to it, and reflectors have only one focal point. This means the beam becomes ridden with rings, holes, and imperfections, meaning less light if transmitted, meaning less visibility.
The body is made of aircraft-grade aluminum, an alloy extremely tough and resilient, and it transfers heat very well, not that LEDS produce alot of heat (not NEARLY as much as incandescents.). Oh, it uses a Lexan window, which is scratch, and shock resistant, with anti-reflective coatings on each side, meaning almost all of the light is transmitter to the target. It costs 289 USD and comes with 20 lithium primary Surefire batteries, my favorite brand. That's enough to last a VERY long time, as the Optimus takes 2 batteries.
I'm sure I missed a bunch of features, but that's all I can remember off the top of my head. You can guess that I spend alot of my time salivating at it. The only possible downside to this light I can ever think of: It doesn't use rechargeables, but they're extremely volatile and, unless you get protected ones, can die very, very soon if you overuse them. Protected rechargeables are expensive, and plus you need an expensive charger.. This stuff's enough to buy alot of Surefire Lithium 123s, which are 1.75 USD.

Woah, I just now realized I just created a wall of text describing a 6.5 inch, 6.5 gram flashlight. Oh well, it benefits the person asking the question, and it makes me tingly recounting the features of this amazing tool in detail.

You can also gather how reliable Surefire is when I'm recommending a light not even out yet.

There's another model called the Invictus coming out later, which is the same light, except very slightly longer, and it has no variable-focus ability.
The upside?
It has..

400 LUMENS.
That seems merely like a number..
Go ask about the Surefire M6, a 500 lumen incandescent, and you'll know why it's so amazing. I would gladly shell out 400+ dollars for a 400 lumen Every Day Carry light. I'll probably get both. If I could pick one? Optimus. 200 Lumens is blindingly bright, which is why it has multiple modes. When I got my first multi-level I thought "I'll be using this on high all the time.", untill I actually SAW it.
http://www.batteryjunction.com/sf-ua2.html

It's coming out any day now.

maxa beam

Banned
There are a lot of new ,very bright led lights,if you could specify a size and battery preference,I'm sure a lot of info will be posted.
I might suggest looking at Electro lumens lights. Very bright and well made.
She's an officer, so I'm guessing he wants EDC size. As I said, Optimus all the way!

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only 1 real choice for me (if I was buying for my officer daughter). SureFire 6P w/ a Malkoff M60. Nothing but the best! FWIW my 0.02

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

If you want to get something in the smaller size, I recommend getting the Novatac 120P ($120) or Novatac 120T ($100). I prefer the 120P since you could program 4 levels of output (including strobe and SOS). However, some people don't want to deal with the programming feature, which is quite simple to use, so you could get her the 120T. Both 120P and 120T has a maximum output of 120 Lumens. Sticking with the small size genre, you could also get her the Surefire E1B ($110). It has dual-output of 80 and 5 lumens.

For larger size, you could get her the Surefire E2DL ($136). Right now, you could only buy the single output version with 120 lumens. The dual-output (120lumens / 5 lumens) is scheduled to release soon. As others have recommended, you could get her a Surefire that takes a P60 drop, such as Surefire 6P, Surefire 6PD, Surefire C2, Surefire G2, etc and buy an LED dropin from Gene Malkoff. Malkoff's drop in are $60 each and you get to choose M60 (240 lumens), M60L (140 lumens), and M60LL (80 Lumens) ... of course the higher the output, the lower the runtime.

Good luck in your search. You're a great dad!

gilly

Enlightened
I am a Law Enforcement Officer myself and have a Surefire U2 that I carry with me on duty. Although a design that is a few years old, it is still an effective light. You can get one for around $250. As mentioned above, the new Surefire UA2 Optimus will be THE light once it comes out. It will replace the U2 in the Surefire lineup. Cost between the two is really not much, so I would probably go with the Optimus.

If these prices are too high - and for many they are - there are a few other lights that would serve her well. One is the Fenix TK10, which I recently recommended to some of my fellow officers. They are unwilling to spend the $$ for a Surefire, but were willing to shell out the $75 or so for the Fenix. All are happy with their lights so far. Simpler than the U2 or UA2, it has only two levels. Fenix-store.com backs all Fenix lights by a lifetime guarantee which is a significant bonus!

Another model which would serve her well would be the Wolf Eyes Sniper. Very bright although only one mode.

See link:

http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-139-99-126-127-6445

Advantage of going with the U2/UA2 is that she could use the lower settings and it will run all night. Some of the other lights mentioned (Surefire 6P with Malkoff, Surefire G2L, Wolfeyes Sniper) only have one mode. Very bright, but will drop off after a few hours to dwindling output. Also, many tasks would not require massive amounts of light and it makes sense to have the lower output available. The U2/UA2 will run for days on low. The Fenix TK10 is advertised at 10 hours on it's lower setting.

Good luck with your decision!

Last edited:

Ninjaz7

Enlightened
Only 1 real choice for me (if I was buying for my officer daughter). SureFire 6P w/ a Malkoff M60. Nothing but the best! FWIW my 0.02
If it we my Daughter...Best handheld spotter imo...definately blind or incopasitate somene if needed...Also a Novatac 120t come to mind,it's one of my compact favorites,even comes with a tactical strobe...gl.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm also very fond of my Malkoff, but I'd recommend putting it into a Surefire Z2 host - these are widely used by police, and your daughter may have trained with them.

E2DL and E1B are good choices, if you want smaller or smallest, and both are available now. Surefire A2 is also worth considering, if you don't want an LED lamp, but like the idea of a light with low and high that's easy to use.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
too many suggestions to even count..but ina very small voice so as not to get trampled on....

i second the Fenix Tk10

And maxa beam, you might notice that the as excited as you are, neither the Optimus nor the Invictus is out yet...

I will also recommend maybe a Surefire C2 + LED drop-in, and Malkoff drop-ins are among the best... :D

Crenshaw

Last edited:

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a LEO I would recommend the U2A Optimus or the SF Z2 with a Malkoff dropin for belt carry and a SF E2D/ E2L as a backup( 1 is none and 2 is one). If you want a rechargable light incandesant light for her go with the SF 9AN Commander/ or if you go with a rechargeable led go with the Pelican 7060 LAPD light. I personally have a SF Z2 with a Malkoff droping and a SF E2L as a back upon my person. In my patrol bag is my Pelican 7060. Just a thought but you might want to check with her Sgt or someone in her chain of command first before you buy her a light. Some departments have specific regulations about the type/size of lights that officers can carry. I mean it wouldn't be good if you spend alot of money on a light and she can't carry it on duty.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
She's an officer, so I'm guessing he wants EDC size. As I said, Optimus all the way!

Let's set aside for a moment that you keep spamming the same exact post about the Optimus, every chance you get. :rolleyes:

The light is for an LEO. The last thing an LEO needs is a brand new, unproven, (and in this case, not even released to the public yet) light.

Something with a track-record for reliability is best. A Surefire 6PL or G2L is a good choice, along with a suitable Surefire or aftermarket holster. I love my Surefire L4, but it's only good if a floody beam is desired. L5 is not a bad choice either. Bigger than an L4, but still proven technology that comes with a grip-ring for handgun use.

Meltdown

Enlightened
for law enforcement I'd recommend the First-Light "Liberator" hands down.
it's the only decent light that you can use while also keeping the use of both hands. Can be used while driving, climbing a ladder, putting on a tournequet, shooting a handgun, rifle, shotgun, typing on the laptop etc etc.