How much does SF packaging add to the cost?

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
I just bought a G2-YL and the box is glossy and big. Lots of color photos. More glossy papers inside. It doesn't look inexpensive. It smells expensive in nice sort of way.

Any reason why SF couldn't offer plastic bag packaging just like they do with their accessories? I realize it might not be alot but I'm curious.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I think ALL of the SureFire flashlights come like this - not just the G2. I think it's one way they show they make & sell quality flashlights. I don't know why they don't just sell them in plastic bags, but I'd guess it's that whole quality thing. I don't know how much the "fancy" box adds to the cost of a SureFire flashlight, but it can't be more than a buck or so.

Patrick Hayes

Newly Enlightened
My G2 came in the fancy box. My E1sg I bought last month came in a much simpler plastic clam shell. The kind you cut open and throw away. I have to say I was disapointed as I like to keep the light in the box when not in use.
Patrick

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Having a close friend in the printing industry, he informs me that this type of high end packaging is considerably expensive for any manufacturer. Quite frankly, I didn't think it was all that expensive either. But it does follow the line of diminishing costs over time (more production, same packaging).

In my opinion, it does seem to add somewhat to the gloss and shine of a quality product. Sort of like the cases that come with a Colt or HK USP, etc... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Jim

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jim

The last G2s that I bought had no box but were in sealed plastic bags with the batteries isolated in one end. The whole package weighed a fraction of the older boxed method.

Marty

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Wow, that's interesting... perhaps they realized a cheaper package would help them with their new pricing structure on the G2's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Personally, my dazzlement has faded with the shiny packaging - I just want the goods. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

By the way, sorry for the off topic part, but ever notice how everything is packaged nowadays in that clear plastic that you have to cut with a scissors - producing ultra sharp edges as you try to pry apart the plastic to get to the goods? Man, that's my number one pet peeve. I'd like to strangle the inventor of that packaging scheme! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

-Jim

Size15's

Flashaholic
I like the boxes - more than the old boxes with the black finish that tended to get on my hands (although the understated matt-black box with silver sleave looks more classy then high gloss full colour. I guess that for most people new to SureFire, having many of their features and information printed on the box is of education use. Also, many of the boxes show photos of the range of models and accessories.

The new packaging works on several levels I suppose.

Al

artar

Enlightened
We used the same quality of glossy box and printing for our software-boxes (size is 3 times bigger than the box of the SF E2) and we paid about 5 € per box at an order of 5000 boxes.

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Now I've gotta get my hands on that Consumer Reports issue... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif I've got my mind focused on packaging now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here's my 12 year old SureFire 6 packaging versus the new SureFire packaging below:

fc82fe65.jpg

Come to think of it... I still have a lot of those SureFire boxes hanging around, and Al does bring up a good point: I can't help but always look at those little pictures featuring the SureFire lineup. It's like a mini-catalog. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Jim

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd equate those SF lineup pics on the side of the box with a dealer enticing the junky. I just got a G2 and not only is it great itself, but now that the b90's seem to be fixed I sure took a long look at that glossy pic of the 9AN on the side of the box. Mmmmmmm. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif