Help on opinions on my first "real" light

chew socks

Newly Enlightened
I recently decided that i like flashlights, and since I just came into the possession of some birthday money, i would like to buy myself a new light. Right now there are 4 lights that i am considering. I'm new to CPF, but i've been here for the past 3 days reading reviews and you guys have been a lot of help narrowing it down to these 4.

Fenix P2D---nice and small but still bright:thumbsup:
Fenix P3D--- really Bright:thumbsup:
Fenix L2D---i have a lot of rechargeable AA's:rolleyes:, but its longer that the P2D

PS: I was also thinking of getting a Glo Toob lithium and i was wondering if anyone had an opinion on them and their usefulness.:naughty:

PPS:I like smileys:bumpit:

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
to Chew_Socks --

Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:

Gotta' warn you . . . .

One of our Favorite Sayings is: Buy Both !

:broke:
_

maxa beam

Banned
I recently decided that i like flashlights, and since I just came into the possession of some birthday money, i would like to buy myself a new light. Right now there are 4 lights that i am considering. I'm new to CPF, but i've been here for the past 3 days reading reviews and you guys have been a lot of help narrowing it down to these 4.

Fenix P2D---nice and small but still bright:thumbsup:
Fenix P3D--- really Bright:thumbsup:
Fenix L2D---i have a lot of rechargeable AA's:rolleyes:, but its longer that the P2D
Fenix T1----really bright:twothumbs, but kind of expensive....i don't want to spend to much if i'm going to have to invest in CR123a's and RCR123a's, so i probably won't get it unless its REALLY good:thumbsdow

PS: I was also thinking of getting a Glo Toob lithium and i was wondering if anyone had an opinion on them and their usefulness.:naughty:

PSS:I like smileys:bumpit:
I'd go for the L2D.
Glo toobs are extremely reliable, and rugged. I don't know if there's a light even remotely as bulletproof as them.

Last edited:

umc

Enlightened
All good choices.

What will you be using it for and how would you like to carry said light? Also what is your budget?

chew socks

Newly Enlightened
All good choices.

What will you be using it for and how would you like to carry said light? Also what is your budget?

I don't really want to spend more than 60 dollars on the light because if it takes CR123's ill have to buy new batteries

I'll be using it in the mornings most mornings when i pick out my clothes for school, and camping out in the woods and just around the neighborhood....so basically, everywhere. But i don't want it to be big, or a power hog, cause i have a couple that i built that use 20 and 50 watt halogen MR16's that get burning hot, smell funny and consume batteries really fast.

maxa beam

Banned
I don't really want to spend more than 60 dollars on the light because if it takes CR123's ill have to buy new batteries

I'll be using it in the mornings most mornings when i pick out my clothes for school, and camping out in the woods and just around the neighborhood....so basically, everywhere. But i don't want it to be big, or a power hog, cause i have a couple that i built that use 20 and 50 watt halogen MR16's that get burning hot, smell funny and consume batteries really fast.

Don't use CR123 primaries, buy rechargeables.

OCDGearhead

Newly Enlightened
New myself and just picked up a combo pack Fenix P2D premium Q5 + a LD1 body, diffuser for reading etc.., +spare orings & leash&holster for less than $70. Absolutely killer deal. Both lights are very bright, much brighter than you would think possible on such a small, sleek package. Particularly the P2D. I have started carrying it around and it is very handy out here in the sticks. I have on order 4 other compacts from Ultrafire and some other brand I can not recall.
You can not go wrong with any of those lights, but I would really like to try out the P3D Q5. I won't speculate on any other brands as I have no direct experience. But I looked real hard, and still am, at the Jetbeam & Nitecore offerering in the AA size. Outstanding specs and good materials.

My .02

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The L2D accepts the L1D and P2D's bodies, so you have the choice of powering the light with 2AA, 1AA, or 1 CR123.

I'd go for the L2D-CE Q5. 8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8".

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
didnt like the P2D myself, bought one and returned it. the clickie switch was way too sensitive, and its just a bit too short/smooth to operate well (in my hands).

m13a8

Newly Enlightened
I have an L2D right now (non Q5) and it is awesome! I use it for many of the same purposes you have listed, and it performs well ever time! I would recommend the L2D, I think you will enjoy it :)

chew socks

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like the L2D Q5 is the way to go. Maybe later i can get a P3D body so that it will be brighter.

Thanks for everyones help.

PS: Does anyone know if the Q5 has an Orange Peel reflector?

Burgess

Flashaholic
i ALSO love my L2D-CE, even with its "lowly" P4-bin emitter. :grin2:

The "new" L2D-CE Q5 is at least 30% brighter than my P4 model.

At no sacrifice in battery life.

Simply a more-efficient emitter. :kiss:

Bet you'd like it. :)

Or, if you are wanting something smaller,

then go with the L1D-CE. (that's the 1-cell version)

I own 'em both, and LOVE 'em !

:twothumbs

( especially since you already have rechargeable AA's )

_

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
Sounds like the L2D Q5 is the way to go. Maybe later i can get a P3D body so that it will be brighter.

You can't run the l2d head off 2 cr123s because it doesn't have a buck circuit so the voltage will be too high, forcing it into direct drive. there's a thread on it somewhere but the search is down so good luck finding it.
Other than that, the L2d is a great choice!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The L2D won't work with the P3D body.

The highest voltage that the L2D works safely at is 4.2v. The highest voltage that the L2D works properly at, as in all modes work, is 3.2v(?).

The P3D runs at 6v or higher if you use rechargeabe batteries.

The L2D uses a boost circuit(raises voltage) while the P3D uses a buck circuit(lowers voltage).

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF. Yes the L2D Q5 head has orange peel reflector.

It was my first Fenix light and I love and use it every day!!!