123 Mag Lithium

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, I'm pretty sure I want to use a Mag bulb for a 3x123 mod, but I'm stuck here: which one?

The standard white star bulb... is uninspiring, unless overdriven (5 cell on 6, for an immediately relevant example). The Magnum Star looks good, but I'm not sure if it's safe to overdrive.

So, who's got any experience with...

6D Magnum Star
5D Magnum Star, lithium overdrive
5D White Star, lithium overdrive

... and what do you recommend? The goal is a cheapsie I'm not afraid to beat up and won't mourn if it's stolen from my car. That doesn't mean cost before all else, but it's a consideration.

mdocod

Flashaholic
the 5 D xenon might survive, I ran one for a short time on a pair of 17500s, it did burn out after a pretty short life though.

The ROP low might be a better option if you want to be wowed a little more, the stock plastic will handle it if it is not used for extended periods of time, I've run my ROP low on the stock plastics for as much as 5 minutes at a time without it melting. no guarantees though as conditions may vary.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure I need something cooler-running than that, as it's not actually going into a Mag head, but something smaller.

A ROP low will run on 3x123 without risk of a lithium fire?

effulgentOne

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure I need something cooler-running than that, as it's not actually going into a Mag head, but something smaller.

A ROP low will run on 3x123 without risk of a lithium fire?

I've run ROP low on 3x123 with no incident for some time. The current is only around 2 amps, similar to a P91, but YMMV.

Also, FWIW a 4-cell bulb blows very quickly (about 15 min) on 3x123. ;)

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am using a 5-cell Magnum Star Xenon in my 3X123 2C Mag.The bulb has held up so far but I don't use the light extensively.I have also used the standard Mag 5-cell bulb without problems but the Xenon bulb provides a better beam.The only problem I have with the 5-cell bulbs(especially the Xenon)is that many B&M stores don't carry them.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the best bulb you can use is 5 Cells krypton bulb....maybe eaven better that Xenon ( I think standard bulbs can hold overdrive a little better...)

Latest posts