ONLINE NEWS AGENCIES REPORTING MASSIVE EARTHQUAKE IN CHINA

Norm

Retired Administrator
China earthquake.

I hope all our friends in China are safe.

8500 killed in China earthquake

By staff writers
May 13, 2008 01:32am

Article from:
Font size: + -
Send this article: Print Email

THE most devastating earthquake to hit China in more than three decades has killed more than 8533 people in the southwestern province of Sichuan.
The official Xinhua news agency said 5000 people were killed and up to 10,000 injured in Sichuan's Beichuan county alone. About 80 per cent of buildings in Beichuan have collapsed.
About 900 middle school students at Juyuan Middle School were feared buried when their school building in Sichuan's Dujiangyan district collapsed. Fifty students are confirmed dead, Xinhua said.
Buildings at five more schools in Sichuan have collapsed, burying unknown numbers of elementary and middle school children.
Hundreds of people were buried in two collapsed chemical plants in Shifang, Xinhua said.

About 6000 people were evacuated, and more than 80 tonnes of liquid ammonia leaked.
The quake was felt in cities across a swathe of South East Asia including the Thai capital Bangkok, more than 1800km from the epicentre in Sichuan province.

Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao called the quake a "major disaster" and urged calm.

The quake, which hit shortly before 2.30 pm (4.30pm AEST), struck 93km from Chengdu, a city of more than 12 million people, and some 260km from Chongqing and its population of 30 million.

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the heads-up yesterday, by the way.

Oh I was so frustrated last night because due to your post I was flipping TV channels at around 9pm Eastern Standard Time searching but didn't find anything about the China earthquake, though I did see some news about U.S. sports and celebrities. (Blech!) It was reported at the news websites, though. Guess that serves me right for watching the tube anyway.

I guess it took a full day, because only today did the news really start to roll out the news about the China disaster. Looks just awful. Terrible. My prayers to those folks.