Help me find something that will blow me away

moosehcky

Newly Enlightened
So, I bought my first 2 flashlights a month ago, the fenix tk10 and the L2D premium. I like them both but, I want something that will blow me away. I was considering the Surefire Optimus but then realized it isn't out yet. More than anything, I want something with throw.

I would like to spend under $200 and would prefer it be a Surefire, cause I don't have one but I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
Jeremy

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you define "blow you away"?

My L2D Q5 blows me away every time I use it.

Edit - saw you meant throw. Don't have any experience with throw. Would be interesting what situations you find throw most useful in.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, I bought my first 2 flashlights a month ago, the fenix tk10 and the L2D premium. I like them both but, I want something that will blow me away. I was considering the Surefire Optimus but then realized it isn't out yet. More than anything, I want something with throw.

I would like to spend under $200 and would prefer it be a Surefire, cause I don't have one but I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
Jeremy
Claymore? C4 chargers? That will definitely blow the hell out of you. LOL.

Seriously though, I don't think an LED will really impress you if you are used to the output of the TK10 . You need a HID light to really notice a big step up in illumination power.

BJ has the awesome Amondotech Titanium N30 30-watts 3200 lumens for under 140 bucks, that's one heck of a deal. Don't miss out:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/n30-3161.html
:naughty:

Last edited:

Snow

Enlightened
How bout an Amondotech HID? I think the N30 is under $200. That will definitely blow you away.

REDLINEVUE

Newly Enlightened
For around 80 bucks you can have a JetBeam Jet 1 Pro!!! .. I was totally BLOWN away at how much light this thing puts out for a SINGLE AA(long throw with plenty of spill)... not to mention without a deep OP reflector how smooth the beam is too!!! Not to mention that if your hanging around the campsite and just want a little light to illuminate your tent or look for something real quick, its IBS is SUPER useful!!! You'll get EVERYTHING you want with this light.... Throw, quality, versatility and battery affordability!!

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
For around 80 bucks you can have a JetBeam Jet 1 Pro!!! .. I was totally BLOWN away at how much light this thing puts out for a SINGLE AA(long throw with plenty of spill)... not to mention with the deep OP reflector how smooth the beam is too!!! Not to mention that if your hanging around the campsite and just want a little light to illuminate your tent or look for something real quick, its IBS is SUPER useful!!! You'll get EVERYTHING you want with this light.... Throw, quality, versatility and battery affordability!!
Have you not read the OP? The guy already has an L2D and the TK10...

nbp

Flashaholic
I know this is the LED forum, so don't hate me, but maybe you should build yourself a ROP with a smooth or VLOP reflector. Lotsa light, lotsa throw, tough mag body, and all for ~$100. OOH, and you can do like this :twak:. :devil:. I love my ROP :kiss:

REDLINEVUE

Newly Enlightened
Have you not read the OP? The guy already has an L2D and the TK10...

Yeah... I read it... whats your point? Size and battery type wise that light WILL INDEED be VERY IMPRESSIVE... Do you own one?? if so then Im surprised you would even post such a thing :).. with all due respect the L2D (although a good light) doesn't even begin to compare with the Jet 1 Pro.. and the TK10 for its price and battery configuration is just a silly waste of of money (IMO)... so again I stand behind my suggestion of the Jet 1 Pro.. its a great light which fits easily into your pocket or comfortably on a lanyard around your neck and battery for battery IMO is the BEST / Most Impressive light out right now..

Last edited:

merlocka

Enlightened
I know this is the LED forum, but how about a MAG85 variant with one of the big FM reflectors. Probably not possible under $200, but it should be impressive throw.

How about a turbohead SF incan lego setup?

Just some thoughts.

moosehcky

Newly Enlightened
I really do like my 2 Fenix lights. The thing is that I thought they would be brighter. My $25 6 watt 120 Lumen Dorcy is almost as bright as the TK10. The light coming from the TK10 is a lot nicer and obviously the build is far superior but I thought it would be a bit brighter.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah... I read it... whats your point? Size and battery type wise that light WILL INDEED be VERY IMPRESSIVE... Do you own one?? if so then Im surprised you would even post such a thing :).. with all due respect the L2D (although a good light) doesn't even begin to compare with the Jet 1 Pro.. and the TK10 for its price and battery configuration is just a silly waste of of money (IMO)... so again I stand behind my suggestion of the Jet 1 Pro.. its a great light which fits easily into your pocket or comfortably on a lanyard around your neck and battery for battery IMO is the BEST / Most Impressive light out right now..
The poster didn't say a darn thing about battery type, quantity or size. As far as overall output and throw goes, a Jet Beam WILL NOT be even mildly impressive compared to the lights he already own. In this price range, there is not a single LED light that will truly blow him away.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this is the LED forum, but how about a MAG85 variant with one of the big FM reflectors. Probably not possible under $200, but it should be impressive throw.

How about a turbohead SF incan lego setup?

Just some thoughts.
You can have a 100% turn-key HID light, delivering 3200 lumens for a full hour for less the 140 bucks.
So why bother messing with complicated Mods and hard to find parts, to have a bright light that only lasts a few minutes, costs more and need a lot of care (like resting batteries, multi-charges, especial battery holders, adapters, etc...)

REDLINEVUE

Newly Enlightened
The poster didn't say a darn thing about battery type, quantity or size. As far as overall output and throw goes, a Jet Beam WILL NOT be even mildly impressive compared to the lights he already own. In this price range, there is not a single LED light that will truly blow him away.

Yeah... I see your point... but based on the fact that he bothered to designate a price range I "assumed" a budget minded light was in his sights... hence the reason I went AA (most common battery & cheap) so even after the initial purchase cost would remain low (unlike CR123 lights)... but for someone that is "new" to lights as the OP is, I dont think he's ready to spend 3, 4 or 500 hundred bucks yet :) or I would have suggested a Microfire K3500! lol

moosehcky

Newly Enlightened
Yeah... I see your point... but based on the fact that he bothered to designate a price range I "assumed" a budget minded light was in his sights... hence the reason I went AA (most common battery & cheap) so even after the initial purchase cost would remain low (unlike CR123 lights)... but for someone that is "new" to lights as the OP is, I dont think he's ready to spend 3, 4 or 500 hundred bucks yet :) or I would have suggested a Microfire K3500! lol

Wow. That is a sweet flashlight. If anyone wants to donate one to me I have absolutely no objections.

Abumustafa

Enlightened
For around 80 bucks you can have a JetBeam Jet 1 Pro!!! .. I was totally BLOWN away at how much light this thing puts out for a SINGLE AA(long throw with plenty of spill)... not to mention without a deep OP reflector how smooth the beam is too!!! Not to mention that if your hanging around the campsite and just want a little light to illuminate your tent or look for something real quick, its IBS is SUPER useful!!! You'll get EVERYTHING you want with this light.... Throw, quality, versatility and battery affordability!!

I agree 101% with RedLine the older Jet-1 Pro was pushing more than 4000 lux with a 14500 but looking at Selfbuilts Review on the Jetbeam IBS lights he mentions that when the IBS is available in the Jet-1 Pro it should more then double its output so lets say almost 8000 lux with a 14500 it will even blow away the darkness so pound for pound this is the ultimate light you have to agree for its size it cant be beat just my 2 cents :whistle:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like many people have said, you won't get much more overall output than the TK10 without going multi-led, P7, incan hotwire, or HID. But can can get FAR more throw.

My top two recomendations would be the Dereelight DBS for throw alone, or the Tiablo MA6 for an excellent combination of throw and size. Since all these lights are exceptional at most of the rest, the numbers say it all. approx. throw in thousands of lux at 1m:

Fenix L2D Q5: 3
Fenix TK10: 5
Tiablo MA6: 16
Dereelight DBS: 29

Also, when you said your TK10 is about as bright as your "120 lumen" light, do you mean in throw or overall output? Because something's wrong with your TK10 if you mean overall output.

If you aren't impressed with the output from Fenix lights, Surefire is the last place you should go. If you will be blown away by build quality alone, sure. But, it's pretty simple: their lights aren't nearly as bright as any light using current generation LEDs. The Optimus you mentioned is probably going to be a huge leap forward by Surefire, but overall output still won't quite catch up. And how much throw is has will depend on the optic, which obviously hasn't been reviewed yet.

Last edited:

moosehcky

Newly Enlightened
Like many people have said, you won't get much more overall output than the TK10 without going multi-led, P7, incan hotwire, or HID. But can can get FAR more throw.

My top two recomendations would be the Dereelight DBS for throw alone, or the Tiablo MA6 for an excellent combination of throw and size. Since all these lights are exceptional at most of the rest, the numbers say it all. approx. throw in thousands of lux at 1m:

Fenix L2D Q5: 3
Fenix TK10: 5
Tiablo MA6: 16
Dereelight DBS: 29

Also, when you said your TK10 is about as bright as your "120 lumen" light, do you mean in throw or overall output? Because something's wrong with your TK10 if you mean overall output.

If you aren't impressed with the output from Fenix lights, Surefire is the last place you should go. If you will be blown away by build quality alone, sure. But, it's pretty simple: their lights aren't nearly as bright as any light using current generation LEDs. The Optimus you mentioned is probably going to be a huge leap forward by Surefire, but overall output still won't quite catch up. And how much throw is has will depend on the optic, which obviously hasn't been reviewed yet.

Thank you! This is a very helpful post. I will test the TK10 and my dorcy tonight. I am using rechargeable batteries, would that affect the output?