Dereelight CL1H vs. Fenix TK10

ES13Raven

Newly Enlightened
I have an Inova T3 (2007 3x 123a) that I use for the Police Academy. I like that it is small, rugged, tactical, the forward-clicky tail switch and the brightness is decent. I don't like the purple-ish tint, lack of throw and short run time.

So I am thinking about buying my next light, and the Dereelight CL1H and Fenix TK10 both stand out to me. I will be using Tenergy RCR123A 3.0V 900mAh Rechargeables in it.

What are the pros and cons of each? Or any other suggestions?

Please help me decide!!! :thumbsup:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Dereelight will be much easier to upgrade when the newer LEDs come out. It also has the option of OP or smooth reflector. There are also many different drop-ins to pick from(it accepts most P60 style modules). It can also use 18650 batteries but that doesn't factor since you'll be using RCR123s.

The TK10 could be simpler to use(the Dereelight's multimode uses multiple taps of the tailcap). Cheaper then the CL1H.

Output and throw should be similar.

They are both good lights.

cdosrun

Enlightened
ES13,

The Dereelight is designed for single 18650 cells, if you use the "multi-power" modules you will have the ability to run 2xrcr123 but then it only has one brightness level available.

I don't have the Fenix, just the Dereelight and I am very impressed but I would strongly recommend using 18650 cells with it, the runtime would be much longer than with 3V rechargeables.

Andrew

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
as cdosrun suggested, Dereelight doesn't really shine nearly as much without an 18650.

Both lights are great in every aspect. I personally would prefer the Fenix for its amazing efficiency and UI, but if you want multimode you should get the CL1H. Also, the CL1H has the option of a SMO reflector which would put its throw far above the TK10's. Dereelight also wins in upgradeability because it uses a P60 module. Really, this is one of those times that you'll be very pleased no matter which light you pick.

da.gee

Enlightened
If you're going rechargeable you may as well get a set up that will do bigger cells. The light selection is sweet and performance with the bigger cells is fantastic.

Some things I know/believe about the CL1H:
- As a form factor reference, the CL1H is just slightly shorter than an SF 6P, that is to say, not that big. Potentially even pocketable.
- With the SMO reflector it is a formidable throw light.
- It has a great clip IMHO.
- Standard P60 drop-in ability makes it very flexible.
- Extremely easy to change reflectors/modules
- Very good construction

I believe you have quite a choice as far as number of modes with the CL1H as there are several drop-ins available. I do use 18650 batts with mine and get very good performance. I would have no trouble recommending this light. I have two.

I'm sure the TK10 has its positives but I do not own that light.

ES13Raven

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies...

How durable and rugged is the Dereelight? Can it take being dropped several times?

Timdog68

Newly Enlightened

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Both(well three if you include the above Olight) should be able to be dropped multiple times and still work.

I don't think you'll have to be worried there unless you'll be dropping it from a high place.

Fird

Enlightened
::tosses CL1H at the ground several times:: hmm, no damage is evident to me. HAIII finish, buwahaha!

the SM modules do not require you to get into 18650's as you can run your (R)CR123's.

The primary reason I bought it because of the upgradability. Don't like the UI? swap pills, need other voltages? swap pills, want a different beam? swap reflectors, want a one-mode tactical? throw in a Malkoff dropin, want it to look and operate just like like a SF 6p incan? swap modules to incan and insert CR123's..

the Fenix TK10 looks like an incredible light, but it's not a chameleon-do-it-all light, you pretty much have whatever is inside when you get it, and that's all.

you can always do the CPF thing and buy both :broke:

Fird

PS:

ES13,

The Dereelight is designed for single 18650 cells, if you use the "multi-power" modules you will have the ability to run 2xrcr123 but then it only has one brightness level available.

I believe there are a couple of modes available in the SM modules? at least there used to be the 2SM module, which changes modes much like the Fenix. www.dereelight.com/cl1h

Last edited:

g36pilot

Enlightened
I've the CL1H v3.0 2SM. It has two stage output available by twisting the head instead of double tapping the tail cap switch- keeps it simple for me as I leave it on high with the ability to increase runtime with a simple twist for lower output if desired.

This pill is dual power 1x18650 or 2xCR123. I primarily use rechargeables w/spares for normal use and have CR123s available for extended remote locations or disaster preparedness. In a LEO capacity you, your partner, or department may have CR123s available.

I'm using the MOP reflector for more even low to medium range lighting. For LEO use consider the SMO reflector for a longer range hotspot.

http://www.dereelight.com/cl1h.htm

Dereelight's P60 based compatibility and upgradability initially sold me on this light. Observed construction quality, reliability, and usability reinforced that decision. I'm very pleased.

No experience with the TK10.

marc123

Newly Enlightened
Raven,

I am a police officer. I have both lights. I use the TK10 at work and the CL1H at home. I think the the TK10 is a better work light, it is more solid, you can use rechargeable batteries as well as primaries, it is shorter, it comes with a holster, it is more solid and appears more durable. The tactical switch is better and easier to access.

Both are great lights but I think the TK10 is better for policing. I have carried both at work and I have come to this conclusion. The CL1H is brighter.

Please PM me if you need any further info.

Cheers and good luck in your future career.