Novatac 120P battery options? ** Update - Got mine today (May12)

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know there are a million threads on the forum about this light, but I am going to get one if I can find one at a good price. My question is, can some attachment be purchased for it that will allow the use of a 18650 battery? I saw somewhere where an extention was made to attach to the Novatac, but I can not seem to locate the thread and do not remember what battery is accommodated. Any help would be appreciated!

Mike

RustyKnee

Enlightened
Re: Novatac 120P question

I know there are a million threads on the forum about this light, but I am going to get one if I can find one at a good price. My question is, can some attachment be purchased for it that will allow the use of a 18650 battery? I saw somewhere where an extention was made to attach to the Novatac, but I can not seem to locate the thread and do not remember what battery is accommodated. Any help would be appreciated!

Mike

There is a tube at Lighthound that extends for a 17650 Battery. Mine works fine, but other have had issues. Not sure if its pot luck.

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3439

Stu

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is the one I saw thank you! I just pulled the plug and ordered a 120P from Yourcornerstore.com. It was only $120.00!! I think I will just use it the way it comes. I was sort of concerned about the less than 1 hour runtime on full power, but I would rarely need more than 60 lumens. If this light rates lumens like Surefire does, 60 will look like most companies 90 lumen lights.

Mike

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened

You don't even get an hour on full power? Is this true? I need to know before I order one...

Or else... the P3D is on the way.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is the one I saw thank you! I just pulled the plug and ordered a 120P from Yourcornerstore.com. It was only $120.00!! I think I will just use it the way it comes. I was sort of concerned about the less than 1 hour runtime on full power, but I would rarely need more than 60 lumens. If this light rates lumens like Surefire does, 60 will look like most companies 90 lumen lights.

Mike

Thanks for the tip, they [Link] have it at a great price...

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you have a 120P, the runtimes are like this:
120 lumens 30 minutes on high
85 lumens 90 minutes on high

Your eye can barely tell the difference between 120 and 85 lumens. I set mine to 85, and when they say 85, it IS 85 out the front of the light.

I can tell you, the manuel that came with the light was pretty far off, conservatively, on the runtimes. The only one that was spot on was the 30 minutes on 120.
The other settings are close to double what the pamphlet stated.

The 85P, 85T, and 85E are also close to 90 minutes.

As I recall, on the 60 lumen setting, the runtime was about 5 hours before the light would step down.

The only time there is any kind of need to use 120, is when you want a bit more throw. It doesn't seem to make a difference under 100 yards, once you reach that distance, having it at 120 does make a difference, but just slightly.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened

I realize it's apples and oranges, but it's also double the runtimes at each lumen output respectively. My P2D already fills the gap for my EDC and the 120P is looking to be too thick to carry around in my jean pocket everday. As for the P3D, it will serve me well when out on assignments and for annual training with the National Guard.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you have a 120P, the runtimes are like this:
120 lumens 30 minutes on high
85 lumens 90 minutes on high

Your eye can barely tell the difference between 120 and 85 lumens. I set mine to 85, and when they say 85, it IS 85 out the front of the light.

I can tell you, the manuel that came with the light was pretty far off, conservatively, on the runtimes. The only one that was spot on was the 30 minutes on 120.
The other settings are close to double what the pamphlet stated.

The 85P, 85T, and 85E are also close to 90 minutes.

As I recall, on the 60 lumen setting, the runtime was about 5 hours before the light would step down.

The only time there is any kind of need to use 120, is when you want a bit more throw. It doesn't seem to make a difference under 100 yards, once you reach that distance, having it at 120 does make a difference, but just slightly.

Do you use primary or rechargeable batteries?

Mike

Khemist

Newly Enlightened

that site that has the 120P for such a good price, is that for real? almost seems to good....

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast

that site that has the 120P for such a good price, is that for real? almost seems to good....

I sure hope so!!:D I just got a confirmation of my order through my email. Hopefully I will have my light by the middle of next week. They say they ship within 48 hours and I had the light shipped priority mail which is pretty quick! They also advertise that all their merchandise is new and not refurbished :sick2:. I am not concerned about it!

Mike

Khemist

Newly Enlightened

Mike-
Let us know how it goes. I hope you have no problems and enjoy your new light.

HKJ

Flashaholic

I realize it's apples and oranges, but it's also double the runtimes at each lumen output respectively. My P2D already fills the gap for my EDC and the 120P is looking to be too thick to carry around in my jean pocket everday. As for the P3D, it will serve me well when out on assignments and for annual training with the National Guard.

The 120P can do a lot of trick that none of the Fenix lights can do:
  • A lower low.
  • Rechargeable batteries.
  • Slow strobe.
  • Lockout
  • Locator flash
  • Auto turn off
If your need any of these abilities, the 120P might be the answer. But if your just need lots of light, the 120P is overkill.

RustyKnee

Enlightened

are you using published lumens? If so, the Novatc numbers are less optimistic. My 120P is as bright as my P3D on turbo using mark one eye ball....with a nicer beam.

Saying that....I love my Fenix lights.....just not as much as my Novatac :)

Stu

HKJ

Flashaholic

are you using published lumens? If so, the Novatc numbers are less optimistic. My 120P is as bright as my P3D on turbo using mark one eye ball....with a nicer beam.

Comparing my 120P with P3D on turbo, I would say that the P3D is brightest, but not by a very large margin.

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened

The OP asked about the extended tube from LightHound. It is for the 17670 battery but some have found ways to make an 18650 work. With a 17670, you'll get better run times than with a primary.

As for the hit or miss aspect of the tube, I believe they all can be made to work. I have two now; one worked out of the box, the other did not. The spring is the culprit. It fits too snugly inside the tube. Once you iron out that situation (spring manipulation) they all seem to work OK.

I have to warn you, however, that to make it 100% reliable, you must solder a piece onto the tail cap spring as the the battery is just slightly too short when used with the Novatac head instead of the HDS head. Some have used a cutoff and soldered screw head. I used a filed down #6 brass machine screw and nut with no solder.

ETA: If you buy the tube cap, you can store the extension tube with a battery in it. I just cut a piece of cardboard to fit tightly inside the cap to keep the positive battery contact from touching the metal.

Last edited:

piney12

Newly Enlightened

I got a 120P from yourcornerstore.com and it is indeed the real article. I paid $129, though.

piney12