Kaidomain Q5 Cree M*g Drop-in review *updated*

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my KD Cree Q5 Mag drop-in today, so here's my review. :whistle:

WARNING:
Don't buy this drop-in in any of the 4 kits with reflectors (SMO or MOP) and Lenses offered by KD unless they "fix" them. Kit1, Kit2, Kit3, & Kit4. The Q5 drop-in is not compatible with the 8.4mm opening reflector that comes in the kits. You can't focus the beam down to a spot because the LED can't extend far enough into the reflector.

It does however work well with the 15mm opening MOP reflector. It also works great with the KD aspherical lens. :grin2:

Output:
The overall output of the KD Q5 drop-in appears to be the same in either the 2D or 3D configurations (see bounce test shots below). It's quite a bit brighter than the stock Maglite LED upgrades (2 or 3 cell). It is also noticeably brighter than a SSC P4 USX0H modified Maglite LED Upgrade modules (2 or 3 cell). You can also see that in the pictures below.

Installation / Mechanical Fit:
The drop-in is a pretty tight fit in my Pewter 3D mag. It's a very tight fit in my Silver 2D mag. I could barely get it out of the 2D.

In both Mags in order to put it in I had to unscrew the inner portion of the module from the output portion and insert the outer portion of the drop-in into the Mag pushing it in until it was flush with the top of the mag. Then I inserted the smaller portion and pushed it into the Mag's socket bulb socket twisting it back and forth until it would go in far enough to make electrical contact. Once it would light up I pressed it in and threaded it into the outer portion (using pliers to grab and twist it) until it was tight. I originally tried to insert it as one piece in the 3D mag, but it would not light. I suspect this is because the center post has pushed the socket down rather than going into it far enough to make good electrical contact.

Taking it out was basically the reverse. Unscrew the inner portion with pliers and work it out of the socket. Then flip it around and screw it back into the drop-in with the center contact post sticking out. Then grab the post with pliers and work the combined module out.

I would not want to remove and insert this drop-in on any regular basis. It is a tight fit. If I were going to take it in and out I would sand down the module slightly so it was a looser mechanical fit. The good news is that the module isn't going to shake loose or work it's way out if the light bounces around or experiences rough treatment.

White Wall Beamshots:
Here are some white wall beam shots of the two reflectors and the aspherical lens. Keep in mind these pictures are for beam pattern only, not for color or brightness comparisons (exposure and white balance are not constant between them).

Mag 3D w/ KD Q5 Drop-in, KD 8.4mm MOP reflector, & UCL Lens:

Mag 3D w/ KD Q5 Drop-in, KD 15mm MOP reflector, & UCL Lens:

Mag 3D w/ KD Q5 Drop-in, no reflector, KD Aspherical lens:

Kitchen Bounce Test Shots:
As promised, Here are the bounce test shots of the KD Q5 drop-in in both a 2D and 3D Mag as well as some other 2D & 3D Mag drop-ins.

These pictures are in order of brightness. The number in italics next to the description is the average brightness level for the entire picture and reflects overall output from the light.

Mag 2D w/ stock Mag 2 cell drop-in, KD 15mm MOP reflector and UCL lens: 25.3

Mag 3D w/ stock Mag 3 cell drop-in, KD 15mm MOP reflector and UCL lens: 29.0

Mag 2D w/ Mag 2 cell drop-in mod'd to SSC P4 USX0H, KD 15mm MOP reflector and UCL lens: 48.5

Mag 3D w/ Mag 3 cell drop-in mod'd to SSC P4 USX0H, KD 15mm MOP reflector and UCL lens: 53.3

Mag 3D w/ KD Q5 drop-in, KD 15mm MOP reflector and UCL lens: 63.0

Mag 2D w/ KD Q5 drop-in, KD 15mm MOP reflector and UCL lens: 63.2

Mag 2D w/ ROP High, FM 6AA-2D Battery Holder, KD 15mm MOP, and UCL lens: 140.6

Note: The color balance (daylight) and exposure (ISO400, F5.6, 1sec) is consistent for all pictures. All lights were focused to the tightest possible beam.

These shots are comparable to my Kitchen Bounce Test shots here. When comparing keep in mind that they are not all taken on the same day, the camera is not in the 100% identical position (it's close), and visible items in the kitchen have changed and moved.

Last edited:

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Kaidomain Q5 Cree M*g Drop-in review

Updated first post with corrections.

Last edited:

gallonoffuel

Enlightened

I also had the issue with the reflector. i was hoping to make the KD Cree dropin be my super throwing maglite, but without the focus it just kinda floods. so i used an OP reflector and now i have a pretty smooth wall of light. The form factor needs more thought put into it, or a different reflector.

warlord

Enlightened

I wanted to buy the same drop in kit but with the 15mm MOP. KD said they couldn't do it so I lost interest in the kit. That and ernestada's review of the drop in kit helped kill my excitement about it.

I thought briefly about spending more money on a better driver and reflector but I found another direction I'm interesting going. Still, I look forward to seeing your beamshots.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast

Updated first post with white wall beam shots.

Last edited:

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast

Update first post with comments about the fit of the drop-in.

Last edited:

warlord

Enlightened
Well the amount of light put out in the bounce tests look good. There's a nice progression in the amount of light put out by the upgrades. Still it would be nice if KD got their act together and put together a better kit by using the better reflector.

You wouldn't happen to have a Malkoff upgrade for comparison, would you?

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
You wouldn't happen to have a Malkoff upgrade for comparison, would you?
No, I don't have one. Partly I can't bring myself to pay the $75, and partly because I can decide which version to get.

In a 3D I would expect the Malkoff to be brighter since the KD is driving the Q5 at a lower current than the P4 SSC in the Malkoff (~800mA vs 1A). In the 2D I would expect the KD to be brighter (~800mA vs 600mA).

warlord

Enlightened
You know what, I checked ernsanada's review of the KD Q5 drop-ins and he does have meter readings vs the Malkoff's. Should be helpful for comparison sake.

KD's Q5 Maglite Drop In 3D Maglite - 8860 lux @ 1 meter

Maglite 2D Malkolf Drop-In - 10,000 lux @ 1 meter

Maglite 3D Malkolf Drop-In - 12,580 lux @ 1 meter

Maglite 2C Malkoff Drop In - 8980 lux @ 1 meter

I still like seeing your "kitchen bounce" tests a much more than just numbers.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know what, I checked ernsanada's review of the KD Q5 drop-ins and he does have meter readings vs the Malkoff's. Should be helpful for comparison sake.

KD's Q5 Maglite Drop In 3D Maglite - 8860 lux @ 1 meter

Maglite 2D Malkolf Drop-In - 10,000 lux @ 1 meter

Maglite 3D Malkolf Drop-In - 12,580 lux @ 1 meter

Maglite 2C Malkoff Drop In - 8980 lux @ 1 meter

I still like seeing your "kitchen bounce" tests a much more than just numbers.
I think that Lux reading are of somewhat limited value because the hotspot can be different sizes and shapes, and that's not captured in the reading. A laser would have a great reading using that method, but make a crappy flashlight. :green:

warlord

Enlightened
I think that Lux reading are of somewhat limited value because the hotspot can be different sizes and shapes, and that's not captured in the reading. A laser would have a great reading using that method, but make a crappy flashlight. :green:

Yes, I realize that which is why I was hoping you'd have a Malkoff for the ceiling bounce test.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
KD probably revised their dropin or i have a different black mag. On mine the dropin is slightly too small that the it can slide up and down. I had to jam a thin paper to make it sits tight.

Have you tried 4 batteries?

BMF

Enlightened
Thanks for the review and warnings! Nice beam shots in your kitchen.

jag808808

Enlightened
Warlord,

I just did the KD Q5 aspheric and it came out a thrower. I tried the drop in with SMO reflector and it focused only to a point. I could not really get it to flood. After screwing down the head, it pushed the heatsink about a 1/4" below the lip of the mag. With the lens, I can light up the other side of the park. There is a small gap between the head and strike bezel due to the aspheric. I am using a SMO reflector with my lens. It makes my U2 look really really really dim.

I am sure KD will have a P7 drop in soon. They keep fairly up to date with current trend and technology.

kaidomain

Newly Enlightened
No, it's not rated for 4 batteries, and I don't want to risk it. :shrug:

4 cells will go :poof:, don't try it. Yes, the only the 15mm reflector will clear the LED. I will let Jerry know about it.

Anyone care to post a runtime between the KD Q5 drop-in versus other semi-direct-driver/boost dropin? :grin2:

Kai