Best 1XAA light for less than $30-35

Rob223

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys Ive been reading reviews but theres just so many and so many lights with different strong points so I want the BRIGHTEST 1XAA run light that can put out for more than 20 min. Id also consider ones that can convert from 1AA to 2AA. If you could list the brightest few and maybe the best between bright and efficiency. As far as modes Id be happy with Low Med High but doesnt really matter.
Thanks for you help!!!

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore Defender Infinity is probably the brightest 1xAA light running 1.2/1.5v cells.

Toss 1x14500 lithium cells into the mix and the Fenix L1D-CE Q5, JetBeam JET-I MK. I.B.S., and Nitecore are some of the brightest.

Here's a review for the Nitecore as well as the JetBeam, along with 14500 runtime info. There should be more reviews on CPF.

Unfortunately all of these lights are over the $35 budget, without even adding in the cost of 14500 cells and a charger.

In case you're curious, here's a AAA pocket rocket within budget: http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=4499 I have an older version, and it is an absolute output monster running on nimh/alkaline .

Burgess

Flashaholic
Hello Rob223 --

Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:

Take a look at the L.R.I. Photon Proton Pro, for about 50 bucks.

A good vendor is BatteryJunction.com :thumbsup:

Good Luck in your quest for the perfect flashlight !

:candle:
_

Rob223

Newly Enlightened
OK I ask for 30 -35 and you give me what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:poke:
THANKS, NOW I WANT THE NITECORE so since you got me hooked tell me where can I get one without spending $80 on it?
Thanks

Rob223

Newly Enlightened
Boy the Romisen RC-G2 with a Q5 would be perfect ........ if it at least had a low or medium setting. Brightness wise it seems like one of the best for the $ I suppose I could live with only one mode. So theres no deals to be had on the nitecore?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I'd agree with Gunner12 ... the L1T v2 is worth it for a few dollars more (and would be upgradeable to 2AA, etc.). You can see my review of the various Fenix heads here (although I don't have the new L1T v2, it should perform similarly to my L1D Q2 on max):

Fenix Rebel vs Cree: L1D/L1T/P2D OUTPUT, RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS!

For a comparison to other lights, see my main round-up:
Multi-stage 1AA Review - Part III: Runtimes, beamshots & more!.

I'm afraid you won't much of the way of deals on the NDI ... it's very popular.

Rob223

Newly Enlightened
So is the L1d better than the L1t, the L1t according to the web site has %20 more light on high, 120lumens vs. 98lumens is this correct?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It's brighter because of a more efficient LED.

Output put the front for the L1D-CE Q5 is more like 90 lumen then 120 lumen. 1AA can put out enough power.

Buffalohump

Enlightened
Keep an eye out on Marketplace for a Fenix and you'll get a great deal.

I bought my L2D 'used' and it was like brand new, and it was $15 off the price of a new one.

In fact, there was a L1D going last time I checked...

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
So is the L1d better than the L1t, the L1t according to the web site has %20 more light on high, 120lumens vs. 98lumens is this correct?

The L1D is a little bit more versatile, since it has Low/Medium/High/Turbo/SOS/Strobe, while the L1T is only Low/High (more like Medium/Turbo for comparison's sake). The L1T's low mode is like double the output of the L1D's low.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO when people put artificial limits like best XXX light for less than $XX-XX, especially when it's a low amount like $20 or $30, they really do themselves a huge dis-service.

There could be lights that for not much more money that will be 10-20 times better in terms of versatility and function.

For best AA light, the sweet spot in terms of value vs function is around $50 - $70, imho. That's where one should aim for in getting the "best" light.

What I've always found is when I try to buy the cheaper lights a substitute for a better light, I almost always regret it and end up buying the better light down the road, thus wasting my $20 / $30 on the inferior product in the first place.

Just my $.02...

Centropolis

Enlightened
The L1D is a little bit more versatile, since it has Low/Medium/High/Turbo/SOS/Strobe, while the L1T is only Low/High (more like Medium/Turbo for comparison's sake). The L1T's low mode is like double the output of the L1D's low.

+1. I would definitely spend a bit more on the L1D. And in the future, you can get a L2D body and then fit 2 AAs for a brighter beam.

I have the L1D Q5 and it's not very bright but if I put the L2D body on it and use 2 AAs, it's much brighter.

For now, the L1D is pretty good bet. But I am not sure if it is under $35 though.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the MTE Cree Q5 - 5 mulitimode light. It compares favorably with the NDI in appearance and the L1D in functions, but only costs $25 including shipping from Deal Extreme. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10688

There is a current thread regarding this light:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2477685#post2477685

If you are a newbie, the interface may seem a bit complicated at first, because unlike the L1D, it has a memory function that retains the last light mode used. Read the instructions in the above thread and you should not have any problems. It operates on a single AA and is almost the same size and weight as an NDI.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a great SS C3 from DX for $20. It is very bright for a 1 x AA light, > 60 lumens. But the SS C3s seem to be inconsistent quality-wise. Your mileage may vary, very, very much. :(

I also am very pleased with the Fenix L1T v2.0, which will, however, set you back about $42, which is over your $35 limit. But it is a very nice, very bright light, with an additional 'low' mode of about 15 lumens, which will run for about 15 hours.

There is a nice 1 x AA light for $31 from BatteryJunction called the Lumapower LM33. It has two modes, high and low, with about 2.5 hours on high and 17 hours on low for runtime. BUT, the 'high' mode is not anywhere near the 80 lumens the manufacturer specs it for. It does have a very smooth beam, and seems to be a very useful and well built light. But if you are looking for killer brightness in a 1 x AA format, you will probably be disappointed.