Jet Beam Jet Pro 1, Facts?

Frankiarmz

Enlightened
I'd appreciate some honest feedback from anyone who owns this flashlight. I have read it is capable of an output of 280 lumens on one site and 240 lumens on another. What are the real numbers? Can it safely run on a lithium battery and do you think it is worth the money? I like the AA platform but would not mind buying rechargeable lithiums if the flashlight will hold up to the extra power. Thank you.

Yapo

Enlightened
No i dont think the Jet-1 pro is anywhere near 240 lumens.
try looking at some of the reviews on it you will see that the output is about the same as other single AA lights but it has a tighter brighter hotspot. It can run on 14500 lithiums maybe at about 150lumens...just my estimate other's reviews will tell you more about it

Last edited:

Frankiarmz

Enlightened
No i dont think the Jet-1 pro is anywhere near 240 lumens.
try looking at some of the reviews on it you will see that the output is about the same as other single AA lights but it has a tighter brighter hotspot. It can run on 14500 lithiums maybe at about 150lumens...just my estimate other's reviews will tell you more about it

Thanks for the response. I hate to seem annoying with the output questions but there is so much misinformation and it's frustrating. On the Jetbeam site they claim 240 lumens and on Bugoutgear the number is 210. I tend to believe you are closer to the true number which leads me to question the next great light the Surefire Optimus. Will this flashlight arrive with the advertised numbers and features?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Assuming the light you're referring to is the same as "JB-Jet1MK-IBS", I can not recommend this light. I got a couple of these a few days ago and don't care for them at all. I'd take the NDI over this light any day of the week. The Jet-1 is heavier, very very slippery, the amount of pressure required to activate the switch is far too much than should be needed, it has a reverse clicky and the spring(s) are too long to comfortably fit a 14500 cell in there. The Jet-1 has a good concept, but it was implemented poorly in my opinion. To my eyes, maximum output is very similar to the NDI, although I never metered it. The NDI(s) I'll keep around for a bit, but I'll be selling the Jet-1 very soon.

gunga

Flashaholic
I kind of like my Jet 1, mk2, IBS.

I use o-rings for grip, so it;s not so slippery (still is), my spring is not so long so 14500s fit fine, I did a small fix to the switch (added little pad on inside) and it activates fine.

I just like the UI and 3 programmable levels better than the Nitecore, which is 1 level plus max. I'm also not a big fan of the crenulated bezel.

Both good lights, I just like the Jetbeam more.

I assume the OP was about the Jet 1 pro, AA thrower tho. Read selfbuilt's review for more info on that one. Strange efficiency curves on AA make this not so great a light.

FsTop

Enlightened
I like the JetBeam a lot - I ordered a second one for my car.

The stiff clicky is easily solved with a shim under the button, and it works well on AW 14500 with no overheating on High.

gunga

Flashaholic
Take the switch apart (just the plastic retainer ring). Remove the spring and white switch unit.

Some people use a cut piece of credit card (perhaps some double sided tape would help) and attach to the top of the white switch. Now the switch becomes much easier to activate.

I used some left over sticky rubber type stuff myself to build up the switch button a bit. That's all it takes, just something to make the switch "button" taller.

Be careful screwing back in, that plastic retainer is not too tough.

I would have used a metal one with insulating ring like Fenix/NDI but oh well...

JCup

Newly Enlightened
The Jet 1 Pro is a great light. I run Eneloop NiMH's in mine. Bought it at Bugout Gear for $80 back in February.

They have since come out with some confusingly named derivatives with better regulation including a feature that permits a variable setting on the lower levels.

It is very bright overall, and throws a beam that will compare with other lights up to 2 CR123 (Romisen RC-F4, Surfire). I think the original Jet 1 Pro was only available in one big lot - similar to the way the even more pompously named "Defender Infinity" was. i.e., if you ordered while it was on super special pre-order, you got one. Then for months it was unavailable, and you could discuss how much better it it was than anyone elses light, but could not buy one.

I have since paid $30 from Kai Domain for a Jetbeam C-LE V2, which was a better value. This one is also discontinued. It is not nearly as bright on high, but is a good performer overall and has better battery life. It may even be my favorite.

Both these single AA lights have beautiful machining and finishing. I'm sold on the 1 x AA format using Eneloops as totally practical, handy, and strong performers. No more CR123's for me - these will fit in your front pocket with ease. Unless you are doing searchlight tasks, they produce plenty of light. I change batteries every couple of weeks, and either one of them would give me hours of good output on an alkaline (in a pinch) using the lowest setting.

I don't mean to disparage the Nitecore NDI, I might very well have bought one if my buy mode had not been in the long period after the originals shipped when it was in shadowlight (one you couldn't get) mode. I have not handled one.

Looking back, $80 is still a lot, but the Jet 1 Pro is a very strong performer. If you find a good deal on a 1 x AA Jetbeam, get it.

fluke

Enlightened
I like the JetBeam a lot - I ordered a second one for my car.

The stiff clicky is easily solved with a shim under the button, and it works well on AW 14500 with no overheating on High.

I too would like info on this shim and where exactly you place it, as I have a second Jet I Pro (non IBS) on the way.

EDIT: "D'oh" just saw gunga's reply :sssh:

Last edited:

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Sorry to stray slightly offtopic but this is as good a place as any :)

I got a Jet-1 MK IBS today and was overall pretty impressed: the light is relatively inexpensive; nicely made; extremely bright on high even with 1.2V NiMH (I think brighter than the NDI); easily programmed down to a very low low with no visible PWM; and has a nice simple 3 mode UI (with no pesky bezel turning) where strobes etc can be programmed right out of the way. Call me a weirdo but I actually don't mind the switch. This is the only AA light I own that can have a locator beacon a la HDS/Novatac - very useful. I think the IBS is the best and most flexible UI I've yet seen on a AA torch.

My main gripe is the ****house beam quality. Blotchy, ringy and asymmetrical. Everyone making AA torches is trying to innovate with electronics and UI's, why can't someone innovate and produce a blemish free beam of HDS/Novatac quality?

I've made a pledge to myself (which I will probably break) that in my relentless search for the perfect AA torch, I won't buy another one until I read a review praising the flawless beam.

EDIT: OK so I read the Liteflux LF5 review praising the flawless beam :) Anyone know where to get one. Sorry to total thread derailment...

Last edited: