Which AAA in green?

lightemittingdiode

Newly Enlightened
I'm AAA strictly - usually. Easy to find worldwide. And good size/perf ratio.

Per many posts here, really like Fenix's (cost/perf ratio), and the lesser mentioned Peak's.

But why are so many only offered in white (except the Peak's)?

I stick with amber and green.
Amber proven in some studies to be the better of the night preservation. Green for popularity in mil use.
Amber nice for it is closer to keeping original colors not so altered (i.e on papers) while not as blinding to vision at night like white.
Green supposedly more NVD friendly vs red.

Can anyone recommend a AAA torch in green for sub $50.

I see Cree has colored led's, but haven't found a AAA torch.

Thanks for the help.

Rossymeister

Enlightened
Can anyone recommend a AAA torch in green for sub $50.

I cant think of one in stock form at the moment but, Have you considered modifying? The most simple form that i can think of would be to buy a L0D-Q4, and put a piece of green filter behind the flashlight lens. Just my 2 cents.

-Aaron

Last edited:

lightemittingdiode

Newly Enlightened
Thanks.

Ok, if nothing comes up, I'll go the filter route, or just buy a Peak.
Idea of a filter is good in that I could alternate, white, amber, green, red, etc.

Wonder what to use for a filter? Hm, green plastic, green plastic?:thinking:
Hm, amber plastic? etc.

Rossymeister

Enlightened
Thanks.

Ok, if nothing comes up, I'll go the filter route, or just buy a Peak.
Idea of a filter is good in that I could alternate, white, amber, green, red, etc.

Wonder what to use for a filter? Hm, green plastic, green plastic?:thinking:
Hm, amber plastic? etc.

You can get a free sample of optical grade (Motion Picture grade) filters.
Get it from LEE and or Roscoe filters ONline.
The sample packs are free.
The Diffusion can be applied under the lens or on the lens.
It can also be layered between two peices of glass creating a very high quality filter.
Anyway if you go to the online sites of those companies and fill in the request form they will send you Free filter sample packs in which you willfind at least 10 different types of diffusion ranging from very lite to very heavy. Pick the one which works best for you and make a filter for the flashlight.

Oh and if it is heat that yopu are worried about? This filter material is designed to work with very hot tungston and HMI lights rated at 5 and 10 thousand watts. they create a hell of a lot of heat and the filters handle it without burning up the light from either a incandescant or led will not be enough to dammage this filter material.
Give these sample filters a try they are free and you have nothing to loose...
Yaesumofo

Im sure they have colored filters too.

-Aaron

Snow

Enlightened
Peak is having a 25% off Memorial Day sale, so it would be a good time to get a couple Matterhorns with green LEDs.

lightemittingdiode

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys for the continued replies and very fast at that!

I checked both filter sites, but do not see any spot to request samples. Most likely will have to email them.

Peak sale! Nice! Thanks for the heads up. I haven't been to their site in a couple weeks.
I have Peak and pretty happy with them.

I am mostly about single AAA for EDC. I prefer apprx $20 range, so $35-$50 is sort of up there. May grab another Peak though based on the sale.
Also like the $15 price for Fenix's E0 or E1.
Wow, that L0D-Q4 is really 75 lumens peak?! But for almost $50, hm.

Side bar, do any of you guys think any troops in the middle east are carrying Fenix, Peak, etc., for pocket carry, and in which color most preferred?
I say most likely Surefires with green and IR filters (excluding shooting apps) less of the likes of AAA LED pocket torches.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
More likley they are carrying Surefires, as the USAF provides surefires..

Crenshaw

lightemittingdiode

Newly Enlightened
Yup, just noticed the CYAN (which I assume is like a turquoise).
Darn. :(

Looks like maybe a Fenix with filter rig or an ebay Ultrafire.
Or go with amber.

:thinking:

I've been out of the game for some time. Looks like Cree is happening, from what I see all over the place and Luxeon sort of has taken a backburner. I'll have to search here to see just what's so great about Cree led's.