G2L plus batteries, or one KX2?

AlexSchira

Enlightened
I've been EDCing a Proton that's replaced my trusty old E2E, but I'm very tempted to get the new KX2 to start carrying it again with insane battery life on one setting and a solid high beam that probably tops the Proton.
...But for one dollar less, I could get a complete G2L and six extra batteries to fill my spares carrier. Twelve hour runtime, so I'd get a light plus 48 hours worth of light, whether usable or moon-beam. But the E2L could top that on one set of batteries on low.

Do I shoot for the ultimate beater light and a C123 hoard that'll keep me going through an extended outage/emergency, or upgrade the one I have and get a long-running low beam and the high beam? The Proton is amazing, but I'm still assured either Surefire will top it for overall power, and the simple but sometimes preferred on-off mechanism compared to the advanced but still overly complex interface the Proton has.

Do I want another light, or should I just revive the old one?

planex

Newly Enlightened
I would upgrade your E2E with the KX2 head. You basically have two lights in one. A very useful long running low level and a bright high level. An extremely versatile light in a nice compact form factor.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're fairly different lights

E2L: Thin, light, aluminum, good clip, clickie, narrow beam with just enough spill to make it usefull, and throwy despite it's output. The single stage KX2 has flat regulation for nine hours before dropping off for another four or five.

G2L: Thicker, still light, nitrolon (different feel), no clip, twisty, much floodier beam and still a decent thrower. The regulation acts differently, "stepping down" sooner if too much heat builds up. The G2L has more options for upgrading the emitter when new ones come out.

Either light will work well, but there's a good chance that one will work better than the other for you.

bigfoot

Enlightened
KX2. All the way.

I upgraded my old E1L to the new dual-output KX1 and it rocks. It has quickly become one of my favorite lights. I can only imagine the new dual-output KX2 is just as great.

:twothumbs

curlyfry562

Enlightened
Upgrade the E2E, it is much smaller and easier to carry than the G2L, and one thing about the G2L is that 12 hours of run time isn't really 12 hours. :shakehead

generic808

Enlightened
I'd rather get the G2L and have a second light in the E2E as a back-up. But that's just me who has a ton of 6P's and G2's in all shapes and forms, just because. You can never have too many lights :candle:

AlexSchira

Enlightened
For the same price, I get either a full light and three battery changes, or one LED head. It must be the physics of the thing that has me on the fence. An emergency light and a cache of batteries, or an old friend brought back to the 21st century. For near exactly the same price. The pure gadget factor of a new life, or shelling our nearly the cost of the light to upgrade a light.

Last edited: