Shipping overseas

ryanv

Newly Enlightened
sorry if this is in the wrong place, but i didn't know where to put it.

When you guys here in the US ship over seas to the uk, how do you guys ship and how do you get quotes for the shipping?

thanks,

Ryan

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: shipping over seas

Fees have gone up for shipping USPS, too. :( It used to be $19 for me to ship to Europe, and $15 to Canada. Now it's $22+ for Germany. I ship Priority Mail.

But yeah, usps.com is the way to do it. You fill out the customs info there and print and you're done. You'll need to get one of those plastic windows to stick the documents on the outside of the package. You can get it at the post office.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast

I bought 4 lights from McGizmo and 2 lights from Mr.Bulk and all these were shipped via priority mail international flat rate envelope (as well as all my lighthound shipments) which is $11 to most countries. Mr.Bulk even puts a small priority box into the flat rate envelope. Many lights should fit that flat rate envelope but certainly no MagLite sized lights.

Eric

Buffalohump

Enlightened

Priority International Flat Rate envelope is definitely the cheapest option for small items.

However, there is no tracking available, so use with caution if item is expensive!

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Priority International Flat Rate envelope is definitely the cheapest option for small items.

However, there is no tracking available, so use with caution if item is expensive!
It doesn't? I remember buying a folder from u.s. and the flat rate envelope had tracking.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast

Tracking is available for USPS Priority International. I know because I ship to Canada/Germany/elsewhere almost twice a week. The system is slow and takes a few days to update, but there is tracking.

precisionworks

Flashaholic

usps.com is the way to do it.
+1

Much easier than UPS or Fedex, which are a pain when doing the customs forms. One pound (Priority Mail Intl) for $19, two pounds for $22, add $10 more for up to $650 insurance (which varies by country).

One eBay buyer asked me to mark the customs form as a gift ... which is a great way to spend a long time in a small cell with Bubba:shakehead I replied that I would not break the law to sell anything at any price. He did go ahead and buy the light (and had to pay $100 customs fee in Denmark). With the strong Euro & weak USD, most items are still a bargain for Europeans.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast

One pound (Priority Mail Intl) for $19, two pounds for $22, add $10 more for up to $650 insurance (which varies by country).

Actually, prices went up on Monday. I was so sad because I had things that I needed to ship on Monday, but I procrastinated printing out the shipping label over the weekend...and so Monday morning, bam...new higher prices. It cost me $22 to ship to Germany on Monday. Same weight that I always shipped before....10 oz or less. Oh well. Just means I have to pass the cost on to the recipient.

DM51

Flashaholic

There are other threads on this topic, but with the search function temporarily disabled, I am not sure where they are - probably in the MarketPlace (which is being moved to a new server at the time of posting this).

Until the existing thread(s) is/are found, this one is quite useful and I think it could be helpful to members.

I am going to move it to Custom & Modified B/S/T, where shipping is a consideration.

Please would members ensure that this thread does not degenerate into a litany of individual complaints about individual carriers. Posts should concentrate on helpful information which will assist others in deciding how best to ship their items.

Groundhog66

Banned
If I am not shipping Express (trackable), I just ship it First Class. I don't see how Int'l Priority has any benefits over First Class, my experience has shown they both arrive about the same time.....

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I don't see how Int'l Priority has any benefits over First Class, my experience has shown they both arrive about the same time.....

If there's no insurance needed, First Class is the best choice - half the cost (under 16 oz), same speed of travel. But insurance is not available.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
How are you guys shipping 1st class? Paypal? Cuz I don't think you can print out labels for 1st class on usps.com. Thanks.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Many of us have horrible delays going to our local post office. I would estimate the last 3 times I had to go, the lines were at least 45 mins long. As a result, I only use the Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope which went up to about $11.50 this week. It is the one Priority Mail item that does not have tracking, however, and would not use it for more expensive items. You can typically stick a "small video 1096-S" box inside of the envelope that gives extra protection. I got this idea from cheapbatterypacks.com which is used almost every time I order.

The Priority Mail feature is required to use the "auto" PayPal address system to print labels on my computer, and have it picked up by my daily postman. It prints out a little customs information included in the label, so I don't ever have to go to the post office.

The buyer MUST check the PayPal option of it being "goods" for this auto-address option to show up. If seller categorizes payment as "service" or "other" it won't give the PayPal printing option. You cannot use the cheaper First Class Airmail with this easy PayPal system.

Last edited:

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
Even though Priority Mail International Flat Rate Envelope is cheaper than 'regular' Priority Mail International, you can't insure the flat rate envelope for more than $43.73, and even that requires a $10.80 fee to make it registered mail. You can insure Priority Mail International, but the indemnity limit varies by country: it's $675 to Canada for example.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Suppose you buy a flashlight from DX and when you receive it, there is a problem. What is the cheapest way to return it to Hong Kong?

I have been amazed that they can ship from Hong Kong and provide free shipping.