Dissecting New lights

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is not aimed at anyone in particular, but its something i feel is an issue that needs to be talked about.

When a new light comes out, we as CPFers always dissect it. While this in itself is fine, problems arise when suggestions end up going against the philosophy that prompted the creation of the light in the first place.

eg: the KD Buckle Light V4
No one in particular, but immediatly when it came out, people started saying that they should add:

Multi-mode
Reduce the Driving current so you have longer run time
and others

the thing is that, the philosophy behind this particular light was supposed to be bright bright bright like heck, dont worry about runtime, great build quality. and simple to operate. IMHO, suggesting that the light be completely redesigned to be a low output light, etc, is going against the philosophy which created the light. IMHO, suggestions like that should be an idea for a new light, or at least a differnt version of the light, not changes made to the light itself.IMHO, if someone needs a multimode light, get a fenix L0D, if you want a low out put long runner, get an ARC-AAA or fenix E01.

I realise that I too made suggestions, but i feel what i suggested, or +1 to, are minor things, which are still in keeping with the original philosophy.

no offense meant to anyone..

:kiss:

Crenshaw

Burgess

Flashaholic
Too many "cooks" . . . .

Since each and every one of us CPF'ers is an "expert" in Flashlights :wave:,

we all have our own likes, dislikes, suggestions, modifications, etc.

Pity the poor manufacturers who attempt to "please us all".

:nana:
_

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think its hard sometimes to know what the true philosophy of some lights are, only the makers truly know that. but our dissections and guesses and even suggestions contrary to that philosophy, whatever it is, really only help push things forward. i would love to hear more dissections, and then leave it to the manufacturers themselves scour through the forum and determine what are good ideas to incorporate, and what warrants a new light. not to mention some lights/manufacturers have no philosophy other than "give them what they want"

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
thats true Hooplehead, but i am worried that in a fit of trying to satisfy everyone, the Manufacturor ends up changing a completely perfect light. , as in the case if the KD light, Jerry made a poll to see what to change! :faint:

Crenshaw

lyrrag

Newly Enlightened
The idea of a simple really bright AAA light for cheap got me to buy this light and I have no regrets. Some of the suggestions that have been made would increase the cost of the light and should be made as a different model altogether. I vote to keep the light as it is for people on a budget, and introduce a premium version for people looking for more features at a slight increase in price.

Snow

Enlightened
I'm definitely with you. The suggestion I hate is when people complain that the knurling on a particular light is too rough. It's pretty hard to find a light with aggressive knurling. If you prefer smooth lights, there are a lot more options available. Don't spoil it for those of us who love shredded pockets!:poke:

Citivolus

Enlightened
On a similar note, I was amused when I purchased a used Raidfire Spear off of a forum member, and it arrived with diffusion film in place :laughing:

Obviously the previous owner had a differing intended use from me.

Regards,
Eric

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a similar note, I was amused when I purchased a used Raidfire Spear off of a forum member, and it arrived with diffusion film in place :laughing:

Obviously the previous owner had a differing intended use from me.

Regards,
Eric

:faint:

"This light is too throwy, IMHO they should make the reflector give a more overall usable beam, wider hotspot and more spill...ill just use my diffuser film until then...edgetac are you listening!?"

;)

Crenshaw

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
What should be changed thou, and I know a lot of people agree with me, is remove the friggin sos and strobe on fenix. :D

Windscale

Enlightened
To a certain extent I agree with Crenshaw. That is why many of us are still looking for the perfect light, eventhough we already possess very many. But the reality is likely that we will never find the perfect light unless we designed it ourselves!

Whilst I would also largely agree with jzmtl, I would be happy to put up with some extra modes if the light is generally OK for my purpose. I don't mind having a strobe, an SOS or red-eye reduction type quick flashes. But one is more than enough. No need for all of them.

The Chinese designers' philosophy has always been to incorporate as many features as possible. They will find that they get more business if they start looking at things from the users point of view and listen more to what the market says.

Last edited:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
And an added bonus if they remove the strobe is, with a forward clickie that's for sale at fenix store, a P3D can be a pretty compact and bright tactical light with head tightened.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
What should be changed thou, and I know a lot of people agree with me, is remove the friggin sos and strobe on fenix. :D
I disagree.

The Fenix UI is perfect for me.

The strobe never has to be used unless you want to. Why does it bother you so much?

The SOS is nice because I can easily tell when I'm at the high mode when my batteries are running low and all the modes look the same in terms of output. I like to run down some alkalines that way and the mode comes in handy of letting me know when the batteries are pretty low.

Fenix shouldn't change the UI one bit.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
This is not aimed at anyone in particular, but its something i feel is an issue that needs to be talked about.

When a new light comes out, we as CPFers always dissect it. While this in itself is fine, problems arise when suggestions end up going against the philosophy that prompted the creation of the light in the first place.

eg: the KD Buckle Light V4
No one in particular, but immediatly when it came out, people started saying that they should add:

Multi-mode
Reduce the Driving current so you have longer run time
and others

the thing is that, the philosophy behind this particular light was supposed to be bright bright bright like heck, dont worry about runtime, great build quality. and simple to operate. IMHO, suggesting that the light be completely redesigned to be a low output light, etc, is going against the philosophy which created the light. IMHO, suggestions like that should be an idea for a new light, or at least a differnt version of the light, not changes made to the light itself.IMHO, if someone needs a multimode light, get a fenix L0D, if you want a low out put long runner, get an ARC-AAA or fenix E01.

I realise that I too made suggestions, but i feel what i suggested, or +1 to, are minor things, which are still in keeping with the original philosophy.

no offense meant to anyone..

:kiss:

Crenshaw

I don't think there is anything wrong with discussing what you like/dislike about a product. So long as you are tactful/polite, can do so without abrasively insulting product users and steer clear of generalized statements about supporters of the product. (IE-adhere to forum rules) Thats what drives me nuts.

The way I see it... the design intent of a flashlight is to eliminate darkness. So, IMHO one would have to suggest something pretty severe to take the design away from that very basic original intent. With this very basic definition I don't think I have seen too many unreasonable comments on CPF. Suggesting multi-modes, longer run times for example would not take a V4 buckle away from its original design intent, by this definition.

Now... for example if someone said Eugene should redesign the M60 with an aspheric dome for spot-throw distance. THAT would be excessive and take the module design out of its original intent by eliminating flood and leaving everything near-field in complete darkness. Fortunately no one on CPF is fool enough to suggest something like that.:crackup:

Last edited:

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
remove the friggin sos and strobe on fenix.

I disagree.

The Fenix UI is perfect for me.

Pity the poor manufacturers who attempt to "please us all".

You can't please all the people all the time.............
only some of the people some of the time.

We are all unique, just like everyone else.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL so true. The key is to please the majority of the customers as much as possible. That's where the most profits lay. :)

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now... for example if someone said Eugene should redesign the M60 with an aspheric dome for spot-throw distance. THAT would be excessive and take the module design out of its original intent by eliminating flood and leaving everything near-field in complete darkness. Fortunately no one on CPF is fool enough to suggest something like that.:crackup:

actually that would be quite cool.

suggesting it would still fit into my arguement...:sssh:

cos i would suggest that he made a whole new module, rather then change the current one to aspheric model.

but i do get where you are coming from..:thumbsup:
but see, the V4 is meant to emit light, yes, but its meant to emmit LOTS of it for a short time, not small amounts for a long time...:tinfoil:

Crenshaw

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the risk of being slightly self-indulgent...

I think this thread deserves a new read, in light of many recent product releases....

Manufacturors have all chosen to make a certain light the way they have made it....keep that in mind...:)

Crenshaw