Dereelight CL1H V3-opinions needed

kiwiman3139

Newly Enlightened
Hi Folks,
Thinking of getting one of these-i know it's been around for a while now and was interested in user opinions from those who have had it in the real world for a while. Am after real use opinions on durability etc, not web page advertising and specs.
Thanks Stewart

Zenster

Enlightened
I'm up to about 30+ lights now, and in the real world, it's become one of my favorites.
I got mine with the 3SD digital module which I highly recommend, but note that you can only use 18650 rechargeables with it. CR123 primaries will fry the circuit. But I wanted it as a rechargeable anyway since I have enough CR123 "backup" lights.

It's a real blaster on high for it's size (almost on par with the DBS which I also have), and the runtimes are great on all three levels. Plus, it's memory feature means that you don't have to click through all the levels to get to the one you want every time you turn it on.
I also recommend getting the OP reflector with it rather than the SM because it makes it a better all-around, "real world" light that is useful for just about anything. If you want to play, get both reflectors when you buy the light, but I haven't used my SM since I changed it out for the OP.

If I had to trim my collection down to just 5 lights from over 30, the CL1H would definitely be in that top 5.
There's a reason that the CL1H has "been around for a while" and still selling well. It's simply a helluva great light.

Citivolus

Enlightened
I bought this light with the DI pill to start with and both reflector types (SM and OP), but quickly switched to a 3SD running with the OP reflector. While the variable output was nice to have, in a single mode light it was just too awkward to have to go through the programming cycle every time to change the brightness. I don't need it to have too much throw, as I have a Raidfire Spear to take care of that. The OP smoothes out the beam without too much cut on throw. For the minimal price difference at purchase time, I'd say get both reflectors to see for yourself.

The build quality seems quite good, however both my modules give more cree rings than some other brands in the price bracket, even with the focus adjusted by turning back the pill in the reflector.

I'd buy it again without hesitation due to upgradeability and build quality, although being a P60 host you can cut corners in price and quality and end up with the same light output (UltraFire + 3SD, for example). If it didn't utilise P60 it wouldn't really stand out as much other than for build quality; upgradeability and end user customisation would seem to be the main selling point of this light. If you are not after a P60 host, there are plenty of other similar size lights with a similar price, profile, and beam pattern, such as the TK10 and Jet-III IBS.

Regards,
Eric

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beware of the PWM flicker on Med and Low for the digital "pills" on the Dereelights. Mine measured 94Hz, and made the light unusable for me in low and med.

Fird

Enlightened
Ditto what Stereodude said. Here's the path I took: wait until an "older" Q4 3SD pill model shows up in the market place, then pounce on it. Mine gives off an audible ~3.15khz whine, but WILL NOT flicker visibly until the battery is shot (at which point it flickers itself out of regulation quickly and dies.) I've tried every method i know, waving it back and forth rapidly, shining it at a fast-moving desk fan, yeah, no flicker. If you hold it at about arms length you can't hear the whine outdoors at all (this coming from an audio engineer).

As far as quality, think Surefire. The light is on my belt all day thanks to its super belt clip, one of which I managed to clumsily destroy, it took quite a bit of force to do it too.. Alan then sent me a new belt clip free of charge!! no problems since then.

I've dropped it on several surfaces and so far there's 1 mark on it (HAIII is nice) from an experimental drop onto a tile floor with concrete underneath it (hey, I had to see what it could take lol)

Right now I'm waiting for the next crop of pills (hopefully using R2 or R4 LED's!!) and confirmation via these forums that they won't flicker before I buy an upgrade. Alan knows about the flicker issue so hopefully it will be resolved in the next batch. [ALAN, 25khz or higher please!!]

It can do incan modules too, which is kind of nice just to have as an option, though after using a cheap one from DX I decided that it belonged in the drawer and the LED belonged in the light.

bspofford

Enlightened
One of my favorites for a combination of quality, reliability, features, and P60 upgradeability.:thumbsup:

big beam

Enlightened
I have an older Q2 5 mode and it doesn't FLICKA.Thats why I never upgraded to the Q5.The tint on my Q2 is a little on the warm side,perfect.
As for the light itself,very robust.
DON

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have a Tiablo MA6 in your arsenal of lights? If so, how does it compare to your CL1H? I'm in a toss up between the two.

Thanks,
Dan

I'm up to about 30+ lights now, and in the real world, it's become one of my favorites.
I got mine with the 3SD digital module which I highly recommend, but note that you can only use 18650 rechargeables with it. CR123 primaries will fry the circuit. But I wanted it as a rechargeable anyway since I have enough CR123 "backup" lights.

It's a real blaster on high for it's size (almost on par with the DBS which I also have), and the runtimes are great on all three levels. Plus, it's memory feature means that you don't have to click through all the levels to get to the one you want every time you turn it on.
I also recommend getting the OP reflector with it rather than the SM because it makes it a better all-around, "real world" light that is useful for just about anything. If you want to play, get both reflectors when you buy the light, but I haven't used my SM since I changed it out for the OP.

If I had to trim my collection down to just 5 lights from over 30, the CL1H would definitely be in that top 5.
There's a reason that the CL1H has "been around for a while" and still selling well. It's simply a helluva great light.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

The CL1H is the clear winner in P60 lights..IMO.

* Very good construction
* Great HAIII finish
* Forward clicky switch
* Obvious P60 upgradeability (just pop-in your favorite drop-in);)
* Excellent service with Alan
* Bezel down clip

http://www.dereelight.com/cl1hdi.htm

Last edited:

Zenster

Enlightened
Do you have a Tiablo MA6 in your arsenal of lights? If so, how does it compare to your CL1H? I'm in a toss up between the two.

Thanks,
Dan

The build quality of Tiablo lights is of the highest level, and the Tiablo A9 was one of my first lights.
While the MA6 looks pretty good, I passed on it because it doesn't have a memory feature like the CL1H. While the A9 doesn't have a memory feature either, it's much simpler to use being as it has just two brightness settings and no strobe or SOS or whatever else the MA6 has.

Since I no longer delight in clicking through a bunch of levels and functions to get to the setting I want EVERY time I turn a light on, the MA6 wasn't that interesting to me.

The CL1H/3SD is a great combination of just 3 brightness settings (I have plenty of other lights with strobe and SOS capability) and it's memory feature make it a joy to use. The quality of build of the CL1H is not second rate by any means, and I have to say that I think it's a better machined and detailed light than my other Deree, the DBS (although I'm not disappointed with the DBS either).
Additionally, the larger head on the MA6 makes it almost as big as the A9 while the CL1H is more compact for back pocket carry.

Edit: One thing I'll add is that since the price of an MA6 is within $2 of a CL1H/3SD, in my mind, there's no contest. The CL1H is a clear winner.
If you "need" a strobe and SOS, get a Fenix L2D-CE/Q5 which does both, and very well I might add.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

jenskh

Enlightened
I have had a CL1H 3SD for a few months now, and I have also posted some on my measurements and experiences earlier.
My light makes no sound, and I am not able to notice the PWM flickering at all in normal use. I can see it when moving the light spot over a textured wall, and I can see it when using the light in rain. Then the rain drops look like pearls instead of stripes. I find this cool, so I would not wish any change to the light in this respect.:twothumbs
Jens

My3kidsfather

Enlightened
I have a 3SD model and can vouch for the throw and spill.. very useful, even with op reflector- but get both for $3.00. This light can illuminate a speed train going by to the point of giving us 2-3 seconds of time to run if it goes sideways while we inspect them in the long, dark nights up here. Very nice to have a few seconds to get away.

cowpen

Newly Enlightened
I had a CL1H V3 up until Thanksgiving last year when my son lost it playing "commando" in the woods behind my brother's house. It was by far my favorite light. I was hoping it would turn up by now, but it hasn't. All this talk compelled me to pull the trigger on a replacement. Thanks guys.
:paypal:
(Alan - if you're reading this, cut me a deal willya?):)

TKO

Enlightened
My CL1H V3 now sports a Malkoff and it is my "go to small light". It has become my EDC of choice.