Multiple reflectors vs single?

dandruff

Enlightened
i am sorry i have a very noob question to ask.

what are the advantages & disadvantages of a light with multiple leds and reflectors vs a single led in a single reflector?

all i can come up with is that:

1) multiple leds will be brighter (obviously)
2) they wont throw as far because of the smaller reflectors needed in to fit in a given head?

thanks!

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
i am sorry i have a very noob question to ask.

what are the advantages & disadvantages of a light with multiple leds and reflectors vs a single led in a single reflector?

all i can come up with is that:

1) multiple leds will be brighter (obviously)
2) they wont throw as far because of the smaller reflectors needed in to fit in a given head?

thanks!
You've pretty much got it. Also for the same lumens output a multiple LED light will be more efficient.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that there exists the SSC P7 there is less reason to go with multiple LEDs/reflecotr than before. As the P7 is essentially 4 LEDs crammed into a single package, that can be used with a single large reflector. Compared to 4 separate SSC P4s with separate reflectors, throw will be much better. IMO a single reflector will also be more elegant, and easier to build.

I have done 5-Cree builds before and aligning the reflectors and wiring everything up was simply a huge nuisance.

CampingLED

Enlightened
There are many variables to consider, but some of my views:
- Multiple LEDs should be brighter if the current to all of them together equals the current to the one LED as they are driven at higher efficiency
- Smaller reflectors tend to give a better flood beam and wider hot spot
- Larger reflectors are usually better spot beams and throwers

Some variables:
- Current to LEDs
- Are all LED's the same
- Shape of reflector (some are optimised for flood and some for spot beams)
- Quality of reflector, etc.

Looking at my M-6D mod with a Cree Q5 with original modded reflector, the spot is much tighter than my 3D MagLED with SSC mod. The 6D is also much brighter as it is driven at approx 1A. The size of the reflectors are the same, but the shape is slightly different.