Opinions on build quality

youngster

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to the LED fascination. Just wondering how those of you who own many LED torches would rank the various manufacturers out there in terms of build quality. Are there others of note that I am missing?

Surefire
NiteCore
HDS
Olight
JetBeam
Fenix
ElektroLumens

Hopefully, this won't turn into a pissing contest. I realize opinions are like ...

Zenster

Enlightened
I'm new to the LED fascination. Just wondering how those of you who own many LED torches would rank the various manufacturers out there in terms of build quality. Are there others of note that I am missing?

Surefire
NiteCore
HDS
Olight
JetBeam
Fenix
ElektroLumens

Hopefully, this won't turn into a pissing contest. I realize opinions are like ...

Keeping in mind that build quality is somewhat subjective. Different people will have good experiences with some lights that are poorly made, and have bad experiences with good lights that are well made. So personal opinions can't help but flavor those opinions.
I personally have all but one of the list you mention, and while I can't do a "1,2,3... etc." order of them, I will list them in a "suggested" order of build quality.

Surefire
HDS
Elektrolumens (note that the Surefire is mass produces while the EK's are all custom made products.)
Fenix
NiteCore
Olight
JetBeam

But like I said, that's a rough ordering and is somewhat based on my personal experience with those that you mention.
I'll also point out that the spread between all of those isn't that great. In other words, JetBeam is NOT a bad light just because it's listed last. I think the Nitecore, Olight and JetBeam are all in the same range of each other in overall build quality.
You'd be happy with any one of the lights from that list.

Choosing among them, look mostly for the features you want because they're all good lights.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have Fenix L2D / L1D, JetBeam Jet-1 IBS, and NDI.

Build quality as follows:

1. JetBeam, with a big disclaimer - rear push button just sucks, big time. However the body is perfect.

2. Fenix - everything's perfect. JetBeam however has that "jewelry" perfect feeling over Fenix finish and feel. But no real complaints about the Fenix.

3. NDI - thread a bit gritty, dings on the body prior to the HA III application at the factory. But nothing of real concern.

In summary all three have excellent build quality, nothing of real concern. The JetBeam is like a hot supermodel with a mean streak - the light is so nice to hold but the push button is so bad.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Add Inova to the list. Most Inova lights, especially the tactical (T) series, are very well built (in USA).

I rate them just a little below Surefire and HDS in build quality.

cyberpunk

Newly Enlightened
1) SureFire
2) All others.

(probably not all that helpful to you, but it is my view of the world! :))

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Add Inova to the list. Most Inova lights, especially the tactical (T) series, are very well built (in USA).

The last time I checked the lights are made in asia and are assembled in The USA

By the way you can add ARC to the list of light with good build quality

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast

Surefire
NiteCore
HDS
Olight
JetBeam
Fenix
ElektroLumens

In terms of BUILD QUALITY ONLY, my opinion:

1) Surefire
2) All others

Surefire construction quality is the best of the world!

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are missing Inova and Peak LED solutions, both have excellent reputations for build quality. Arc is also a great maker. If you don't mind getting into semi-production, then we can mention McGizmo and Lummi as well.

Cydonia

Enlightened
I would put Inova at #2.
(As an aside see this post where it is stated that Inova ships 15,000 X5's a month to Iraq, Afghanistan etc.,)
And if you don't believe Inova is that high up then wait for their new K series to roll out.
In the coming years, especially, I suspect they will have the capability to give Surefire a run for their money.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
(As an aside see this post where it is stated that Inova ships 15,000 X5's a month to Iraq, Afghanistan etc.,)

Not to take anything away from Inova, but that statistic so far has been heresay with no real reference to back it up. Also a nsn number does not mean that it meets mil-spec. It just allows you to sell it to military personel

Snipe315

Newly Enlightened
1) SureFire
2) All others.

A huge +1 to that!

While Surefire might not be the brightest or longest lasting, they are darn near indestructable!

:rock:

In any real world situation, you'll expire from abuse long before your Surefire does.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
A huge +1 to that!

While Surefire might not be the brightest or longest lasting, they are darn near indestructable!

:rock:

In any real world situation, you'll expire from abuse long before your Surefire does.
If you expire long before the Surefire does, would that be overkill on quality LOL? :)

I've never owned a Surefire and would love to own one, but my budget limitations prevent me from buying one any time soon.

We all have to compromise somewhere, so in my personal opinion, for my non-tactical needs, the Fenix / JetBeam / NiteCore / other mundane brand here seem to have good enough quality for most people like myself. And always carry a back up (or two) seems to ensure that you'll never be left without a light.

I guess I'm still waiting to be convinced why I need to splurge on a Surefire (other than the mere fact of owning an indestructible light) LOL.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF youngster.
As you can see from the posts above, everyone has one or a few brands of favorite lights that fit into the "high quality" category.

So the good news is: there really are many production brands and quite a few limited run brands that deliver good quality lights at various price levels. [Another brand I just thought of that I don't think was mentioned yet: Pelican.] Pretty much all of the many brands mentioned give a similar price/performance ratio - you get what you pay for. None could properly be called junk.

The bad news is there is no clear winner in the price/perfomance contest - you have to determine what it is you really want in a light, then figure out what kind of batteries you want to use [size & rechargeable or not], then find one that fits your budget. The flashlight market is the best it's ever been with many good brands and products competing, largely due to the LED revolution that has matured in the last five years or so as far as delivering good, marketable products.

bezel

Newly Enlightened
My opinion:

Surefire/HDS/Arc
Innova/Streamlight
Mag
Fenix

Don't have enough experience with other brands to comment.
My rankings are based on my perceptions of build QUALITY, not performance.
The only chink in Surefire's armor worth mention to me is their clicky switch. If I don't have a problem right away (first couple of days), then they seem to go forever. Other aspects more than make up.

generic808

Enlightened
#1 Surefire

As far as Inova is concerned, I would not rank it anywhere near the top. They list their lights as being "water resistant" but they are far from it. Water will leak in and damage it!