Explorer problem...

B@rt

Flashaholic
For the last couple of weeks I have encountered a strange problem. Whenever I fill in information on an internet page, IE stalls for a while when I hit enter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
Sometimes it stops for just a few seconds, but it can be up to 30 seconds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif After that the page loads normally...

I'm using Win 98 and IE 6.0 , and even after a full re-install, the problem still exists. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Anybody with ideas as to where this problem could originate and what to do to solve it?

TIA,

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it make a difference if it is a secure/encrypted page or not ? (on a secure page the URL will start https://)

B@rt

Flashaholic
No, it doesn't matter, even with Google or the CPF search page it stalls. If I wait a little while before submitting, the page loads fine... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I am using an 333 MHz Intel PII processor with 192 MB RAM, but it almost looks like I have this... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif
fc628a9a.gif

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have the latest service pack installed (SP1) for IE 6 ?

It was released in September 02 and contains many bug fixes.

To find out which version you have click:
HELP > ABOUT INTERNET EXPLORER

SP1 will be mentioned after the version number if it's installed.

SP1 Available Here

PS. My type of case badge:

idiot-badge.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe you should try Mozilla. Current version is 1.3 from mozilla.org . I use it all that time, and it doesn't have all the security holes that IE has. (Netscape is a prior version of Mozilla with certain things disabled).

Of course, if your ISP requires IE, then thou art screwed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I never took IE beyond 5.5, thanks to MS's ever more Draconian EULAs.

I use win98se and Mandrake Linux 9 Powerpack, and Mozilla in both.

B@rt

Flashaholic
Thanks Charles,
I might give that a try. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I still would like to find out what's happening here though, since I've never encountered this problem before...

ps,
I wish you all the luck in the world next week in the hospital, I'll be thinking about you.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess you've already Googled around in Experts Exchange? Apparently they've turned their search feature into a "Premium" feature. I looked a little bit. Just saw uncheck auto update and auto complete, uninstall reinstall...stuff you already know. The search disabled makes it a little time consuming.

B@rt

Flashaholic
yeah, I've been there too, but haven't found anything ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thanks for looking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Charles,

I did try Mozilla. Installed it. Learned how to use it quickly (it's pretty intuitive).

And now I have all those nasty advertizing images and pop-up disabled.

It's great.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul, set your middle button (if you have a three button mouse) for 'open new tab on middle click' and have fun with tabbed browsing. It is so much better than having a bunch of IEs opening. Go to the install notes and known bugs webpage and read up. Worth your time to do so.

Unless they fixed it, don't try to cut and paste in bookmark management: cut actually deletes (not recoverable) the bookmarks, instead of cutting them!

Bart: try clearing the temporary internet files, defrag your HDs. The more junk in the temp internet files folder, the longer things take. Same with more fragmentation of files.

I also have a separate drive just for virtual memory, though it is never used here (1 gig of physical ram).

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Opera. Without Java it's only a 3.5 meg download, with Java it's just under 14MB. Version 7.03 is fast, 6.05 is even faster (way faster than MS Esplorer or Netscape/Mozilla). The version 7 series still needs to be tweaked to get it up to full speed, but I still was willing to pay for it instead of using Explorer, Netscape, or Mozilla.

B@rt

Flashaholic
I'm still trying different browsers, so Opera will be next I guess. I didn't like Mozilla too much, maybe I should give it some more time though... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I'm still puzzled by the reaction delay when using Explorer. So far nothing I tried helped... Very strange. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
It might be caused by your computer's having a problem finding your ISP's DNS (Domain Name Server) addresses automatically.

If you're on dialup, have a look at this page: Dialup TCP/IP

View items 7 thru 12. Make sure you have the windows 98 CD-ROM or your cab files (look for win98*.cab). You also need to know your ISP's DNS addresses.

It might be simpler to phone your ISP and ask them to do it for you.

If you're on Cable or ADSL, go to:

Start> Settings> Control Panel> Network> Select TCP/IP for ethernet card> Properties> DNS Configuration> Select Enable DNS> (then enter the DNS addresses in the form 111.222.33.44 - there are usually two, primary and secondary)

When done, you need to restart for the settings to 'take'. Again, make sure you have the Windows CD-ROM or the Windows cabinet files win98*.cab

Your mileage may vary, don't try it unless you feel confident, I take no responsibility if it fails, yadda yadda yadda....

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could the reaction delay be caused by some kind of spy ware on your computer? I have no basis for suspecting this since I know nothing about it, but it just popped into my head.

B@rt

Flashaholic
Those were my initial thoughts too, but even after reformatting and re-installing the problem still persists. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

PhotonBoy, I have broadband, and the problem only arizes whenever there are fields to fill out... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

btw, the problem didn't occur when using Mozilla...

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like it could be a sniffer. I would try deleting all partitions and fdisk the master boot record. Then run a program like bcwipe or norton and wipe the hard drive several times. Then reinstall Windows.

B@rt

Flashaholic
Ouch! deleting all partitions? Sounds kind of drastic... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
I always thought sniffers were supposed to be very hard to detect. A tell tale give away would be stalling every time you enter information, so maybe there is something else going on? Neiter Mozilla nor Opera has this problem, and if I wait a while before submitting the page, all works flawless /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

If all else failes I will try it, but I would really like something where I only have to re-format my boot-partition only, and keep the others intact...

It is driving me nuts though, (and I'm wacko enough already.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif )

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could try deleting and wiping the boot partition and fdisking the master boot record. That might work. Or, it might be a waste of time...hard to tell at this point.