E2D LED

pcool69

Newly Enlightened
Anybody have one yet? How does it throw?

What I really want is a surefire quality throw monster that is close in size to a e2e. Any suggestions?

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
it throws well, close to my Malkoff M60 in a smaller package.

it is the best Surefire E2e variant to date, IMHO. ALong with E1B, this generation of E-series Surefires are close to the holy grail of EDC lights.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love me E2DL. I switched tailcaps with my E1B so it would be easier to pocket. Just about perfect in my opinion.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody have one yet? How does it throw?

What I really want is a surefire quality throw monster that is close in size to a e2e. Any suggestions?

Look no further. The E2DL is both bright and a real thrower, at least relative to other similarly-sized SureFire lights. I bought a single-stage one more or less for curiosity. I hate the strike bezel, but otherwise it's real winner for lots of uses (which would not include up-close task lighting :D)

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO one of SureFire's best lights in function, form, throw and overall usefullness in a pocketable light. Don't hesitate to grab one.

entendu

Newly Enlightened
J Newell wrote
Look no further. The E2DL is both bright and a real thrower, at least relative to other similarly-sized SureFire lights. I bought a single-stage one more or less for curiosity.
I wonder how the E2D compares with the Cree Q5 LED conversion head upgrade for the E2E . Specifically in terms of beam spill and throw and runtime. Haven't seen any numbers on the Cree Q 5 conversion Head. I purchased one of these from Optics HQ (like you out of curiosity) and gotta say.... Damm:D its bright. Anyone else have one of these? thoughts?

Heading to the Future at Light Speed

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how the E2D compares with the Cree Q5 LED conversion head upgrade for the E2E . Specifically in terms of beam spill and throw and runtime. Haven't seen any numbers on the Cree Q 5 conversion Head. I purchased one of these from Optics HQ (like you out of curiosity) and gotta say.... Damm:D its bright. Anyone else have one of these? thoughts?

I've had both of these...the OHQ TLS head and the E2DL.

The OHQ TLS head is bright and has a different beam profile since it is a reflector. It's a good value and runs on any type of battery setup you want to throw at it, i.e. 2 primaries, 2 RCR123s, 1 li-ion 17670. The only thing that I don't like is that the head is significantly bigger than the E2DL head. Plus, I'm not too thrilled about putting after-market products on my Surefires.

The E2DL has the same beam profile as any of the newer lights with the TIR optic...E1B/KX1/KX2. It throws well and runs on 1 RCR123 (in single cell body), 2 RCR123's, 2 primaries, or 1 li-ion 17670 (if you have a body that fits it. The stock E2DL body doesnt fit).

So the choice is up to you. I believe the OHQ TLS head is roughly $70? I've seen people selling the E2DL heads alone for $75 in the Market Place. If you're looking for a whole complete light, the E2DL's the better value since you would have to get an E2D plus TLS head. Not worth it to do that.

What emitter does the E2D/E2DL use?

The E2D does not use an emitter. That's the old incandescent version. The E2DL uses a Cree...most likely Q4 or Q5.

Latest posts