Fitorch        

Thread: E2D LED

Default E2D LED

Anybody have one yet? How does it throw?

What I really want is a surefire quality throw monster that is close in size to a e2e. Any suggestions?

Default Re: E2D LED

Throws very well. Just a little longer than e2e.

Flashaholic*

it throws well, close to my Malkoff M60 in a smaller package.

it is the best Surefire E2e variant to date, IMHO. ALong with E1B, this generation of E-series Surefires are close to the holy grail of EDC lights.
    "a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen." -Warren vs District of Columbia, after three women were raped, beaten for 14 hours and police never came after numerous 911 calls were placed

I love me E2DL. I switched tailcaps with my E1B so it would be easier to pocket. Just about perfect in my opinion.
    FAILURE TO PLAN ON YOUR PART DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN EMERGENCY ON MY PART.

Yes, quite a few people have the E2DL now.

There is plenty of discussion here

Regards,
    Tempest
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Currently looking for: SureFire E1W - PM with offers

Also take a look at Chao's excellent review which has beamshots and runtimes.http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=196892
    Last edited by darkpeak; 05-15-2008 at 08:37 AM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by pcool69 View Post
    Anybody have one yet? How does it throw?

What I really want is a surefire quality throw monster that is close in size to a e2e. Any suggestions?
    Look no further. The E2DL is both bright and a real thrower, at least relative to other similarly-sized SureFire lights. I bought a single-stage one more or less for curiosity. I hate the strike bezel, but otherwise it's real winner for lots of uses (which would not include up-close task lighting )
    MD3 | M6CB | Gladius/SSCP4 | A2-HA-WH | A2-HA-YG | A2-BK-WH | Z3/KT2 | M2 | C2 | 6Z | 6P | U2A | K2MS | E2e/KL4 BK | E2DL | E2D | E2L | L2 | Milky ML1/SSCP4 USWOH McR18j | L1-BK-RD | L1-HA-WH | L1-HA-WH Cree | L1-HA-RD | 3P | E1B | E1L | E1E-HA-BK | E1W | 618FA | G2

IMO one of SureFire's best lights in function, form, throw and overall usefullness in a pocketable light. Don't hesitate to grab one.
    There is no important work, there are only a series of moments to demonstrate your mastery and impeccability. Quote from Almine

What emitter does the E2D/E2DL use?
    Beautiful light I must say.

Thanks

J Newell wrote
    Look no further. The E2DL is both bright and a real thrower, at least relative to other similarly-sized SureFire lights. I bought a single-stage one more or less for curiosity.
    I wonder how the E2D compares with the Cree Q5 LED conversion head upgrade for the E2E . Specifically in terms of beam spill and throw and runtime. Haven't seen any numbers on the Cree Q 5 conversion Head. I purchased one of these from Optics HQ (like you out of curiosity) and gotta say.... Damm its bright. Anyone else have one of these? thoughts?

Heading to the Future at Light Speed

Quote Originally Posted by entendu View Post
    I wonder how the E2D compares with the Cree Q5 LED conversion head upgrade for the E2E . Specifically in terms of beam spill and throw and runtime. Haven't seen any numbers on the Cree Q 5 conversion Head. I purchased one of these from Optics HQ (like you out of curiosity) and gotta say.... Damm its bright. Anyone else have one of these? thoughts?
    I've had both of these...the OHQ TLS head and the E2DL.

The OHQ TLS head is bright and has a different beam profile since it is a reflector. It's a good value and runs on any type of battery setup you want to throw at it, i.e. 2 primaries, 2 RCR123s, 1 li-ion 17670. The only thing that I don't like is that the head is significantly bigger than the E2DL head. Plus, I'm not too thrilled about putting after-market products on my Surefires.

The E2DL has the same beam profile as any of the newer lights with the TIR optic...E1B/KX1/KX2. It throws well and runs on 1 RCR123 (in single cell body), 2 RCR123's, 2 primaries, or 1 li-ion 17670 (if you have a body that fits it. The stock E2DL body doesnt fit).

So the choice is up to you. I believe the OHQ TLS head is roughly $70? I've seen people selling the E2DL heads alone for $75 in the Market Place. If you're looking for a whole complete light, the E2DL's the better value since you would have to get an E2D plus TLS head. Not worth it to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by TONY M View Post
    What emitter does the E2D/E2DL use?
    The E2D does not use an emitter. That's the old incandescent version. The E2DL uses a Cree...most likely Q4 or Q5.

Quote Originally Posted by ttran97 View Post
    The E2D does not use an emitter. That's the old incandescent version. The E2DL uses a Cree...most likely Q4 or Q5.
    E2DL yes, thanks for reply.