Too many favorites - what to do - rotate!!

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would really like to have one favorite EDC but have a couple!! I seem to pocket carry the Liteflux 2FX and Lumapower Incendio an equal amount and always carry the Photon ReX. I really like these lights and enjoy using them a lot. I also have the Nitecore DI which I think is a great light but I do not carry it much after aquiring the others but I do not know why. Another great EDC light that I have is the Fenix LOC-CE Q4 Olive.

I feel bad having a great light and not using it so I typically sell it but the NDI has such a fantastic tint and output that I just can't think of selling it. It is very easy to pocket carry and feels great in the hand. It also has a great clicky switch that is easy to operate.

Even though I do not carry the NDI much I always feel it has the best beam and output given its size and capacity. It just feels solid. The clicky is very easy to operate and it has good efficiency for an AA light. I also bought very good AW 14450 cells for it. I think I may make the LOD - Q4 a spare backup light.

I just hate being wasteful and may have to sell some lights. This flashoholick thing is getting bad!!!!

Now there is a new Lumapower AA light out that I am interested in _DAGNABIT!!!!

lyrrag

Newly Enlightened
I too rotate my lights for pocket carry but anything larger than the E1b gets put in my brief case/executive bail out bag haha. The throwers I have get used on night time walks. I don't like having a flashlight and not using it.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know what you mean, but the rationale I give myself is that you always need back up lights.

I'm comforted by the fact that if I lose my L1D, and my JetBeam breaks, I still have my NDI to use on a critical moment.

Having back ups are a great idea. But maybe one can have too many back ups... Nah...

If you can afford it, don't feel guilty. The lights you listed are not that expensive. You could be spending that money on frivolous things like big screen TVs that you barely watch. :)

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
If someone would hurry up and invent the perfect AA light then we wouldn't all be in this quandary :)

What I want:
- Multimode programmable between 0.1 - 120 lm
- Good UI
- Great finish
- Well machined threads, reliable switch
- Flawless warm beam, no artifacts, good balance throw/spill
- Long well regulated run time on NiMH, no visible PWM

Basically I want a 1xAA Novatac 120P and 1xAA Ra 70Tr! But since they don't (and probably won't) exist I constantly have to choose between otherwise excellent lights which all seem to have at least one cross next to the above list

Proton Pro - terrible green beam tint and artifacts, visible PWM
NDI - beam artifacts, rough threads, poor switch
L1D Q5 - not programmable, low not low enough
Jet-1 MK IBS - terrible beam artifacts, regulation issues
Wolfeyes Angel A - poor NiMH output, visible PWM

The search continues...

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fact that one can not EDC more than two or three (or four...) flashlights at the same time should not IMO prevent anyone from having a large number of them at ready.

I keep my favorites aligned on a shelf in my bedroom and when I get dressed in the morning I just pocket the one(s) that I like better that very day. :cool:

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why rotate your lights? How many pockets do you have? Carry them all with you. Presently, I am carrying a Novatac p120 clipped into my side pant's pocket, an NDI on a lanyard in my shirt pocket; a LOD-Q4 and a Photon on my keychain; a P2D in a small sheath is on my belt; MTE Q5 -Five Mode with its lanyard sits in a sports jacket pocket, not to mention the Olight T10 and Fenix TK10 which sit in my car. Now that only leaves a few emergency lights at home - My SF A2, and L1's along with my Fenix L2D. The only light I would give away is a Fenix E01 with its disappointing purple beam.