Is it good to buy Altuslumen Flashlight for my boyfriend?

victorias

Newly Enlightened
Hi! I am new to this forum and I don't know much about flashlight. But my boyfriend like hiking and camping with his friend very much. (Too bad! I don't like either activities!). His birthday is approaching and I saw a review on Altuslumen Tri-L flashlight (http://the-gadgeteer.com/review/altuslumen_tri_l_led_flashlight) which seems quite interesting and I am thinking whether it would be a good gift for him.

It is quite surprising that it seems that no one discuss this flashlight in this forum. Is there anyone who can give me comment on this flashlight? Or do you have any suggestions for other brand? If possible, please give me exact model no. I am stupid to choose the right flashlight:mecry:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would not buy that. First the price is crazy for something that only have several 5mm and 0.5w low powered led. Second it's rechargeable only, not something you want to take to outdoor since there's no place to recharge it.

If you would like a recommandation, tell us your budget, and perhaps other info such as size of flashlight, what type of battery do you plan to use etc. And where are you located may help us determine if certain battery types will work well for you as well.

Oh its case is made of magnesium, maybe you can scrape bits off it to start a fire in emergency. :crackup:

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
heres a basic break down:

Throw = how far it goes
Spill = Near, wide light
Size (AAA, AA,2 x AA, CR123A,2 x CR123A)
Brightness = probably want to look for something close to 200 lumens, but at least more then 100 lumens. :)

tell us, and we will reccommned something

Crenshaw

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll jump in here. That flashlight you linked to would probably not be the best for camping/hiking. He would need something that is a little more rugged and takes regular/rechargeable batteries so that if the need arises, he can always find replacements anywhere. I'd stick to the AA form factor for a light, I believe that is the most common battery in the world. This way if he uses up any rechargeables he might take along, he can always get regular alkaline AAs in a pinch.

Is your price range in the $100 area since that is the cost of the linked light in your post? If so, then you could probably get a couple of AA lights. I'd suggest a headlamp and a hand held light for camping/hiking. It's always nice to have your hands free while working around the campsite.

We'll need a little more info from you before we can give any specific suggestions on lights.

edit: Oh yeah, where are my manners?!!

:welcome:

Last edited:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, may I recommend the Fenix 4in1 powerpack mentioned in that CPF thread?

For around $65-$70, you would be giving your boyfriend a 1AA light and a CR123 light. He can choose which battery type he wants to use and switch between 1AA or CR123 anytime he wants to. It comes with a diffuser which is great for camping / outdoors, and a battery cap to use the spare flashlight body as a battery holder.

If you get this I guarantee he will be blown away and very happy.

:welcome::party:

PS - use coupon code "cpf" for 2% off at Lighthound. They offer free shipping over $75, priority mail that means you get it in 2-3 days if you live in the US. :twothumbs

Last edited:

smopoim86

Enlightened
If it's for camping, I would get 2 lights. Zebralight H50 (headlamp that uses standard AA) and something like a Fenix L2D CE. I think it is best to keep to the AA standard. A flashoholic doesn't seem to care as much about using different (read: non standard) batteries and the average person. I think most normal people would much prefer to be able to use a easily found standard size battery.

Norm

Retired Administrator
If it's for camping, I would get 2 lights. Zebralight H50 (headlamp that uses standard AA) and something like a Fenix L2D CE. I think it is best to keep to the AA standard. A flashoholic doesn't seem to care as much about using different (read: non standard) batteries and the average person. I think most normal people would much prefer to be able to use a easily found standard size battery.
I second this suggestion, a very practical solution.
www.FenixStore.com Fenix L2D CE Olive
www.FenixStore.com H50-Q5 Headlamp
Norm

Last edited:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only problem is the H50 is on back-order right now. I'm trying to get one and I have to wait til Fenix-Store has it available, sadly. :(

The 4in1 powerpack is a great intro into the latest LED lights and very versatile as well. I think that's the way to go. :)

She could order a L2D body in addition to the 4in1 powerpack, so the lucky boyfriend would have it all - 1AA, 2AA, CR123.

The link to the L2D body is here which will make the total around $82, which means free shipping!!

This makes it a no-brainer imho.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the link. I wasn't aware they sold it directly. They charge $5 shipping so total comes to $54.

I still prefer to order from the Fenix-Store.com because of the 8% CPF8 coupon discount, which makes it $50 with free shipping. I'm not in a hurry so I can wait since I want to order a orange / purple E01 as well and lump it in one order.

For the OP, depending on her online shopping savvy, it might be a pain to order it and the go to Lighthound / Fenix-Store to order the L2D, which will total around $110 ~ $120.

I think the fenix 4in1 powerpack is still the best way to go for now, especially for someone who doesn't seem to have a decent flashlight to begin with.

PS - she also mentioned the boyfriend like to go hiking. From what I've read, the H50 is not so good for hiking since it doesn't have that much throw to illuminate the terrain in front of you. The L1D / L2D / P2D would excel in this regard.

Last edited:

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome victorias.

$99 for that flashlight is expensive to say the least. The 5mm LEDs that it uses are really low on the efficiency scale compared to the LEDs we have been playing with for years now.

Also, that plastic casing looks pretty loose-fitting. It would not surprise me if it was not watertight. When you are outdoors, you want something lightweight, rugged and waterproof at the very least. Bright is a nice option too.

I am unaware of anyone that has bought the Fenix P1D-CE Q5 and regretted it. This uses the ultra-efficient Cree X-RE Q5 emitter, has multiple output modes, is tough, waterproof, reliable (backed by lifetime parts and labour warranty), small and lightweight. With the spare $40s, you can buy a big box of Surefire CR123A cells to power the light for your boyfriend.

Don't forget to use the discount code 'CPF8' to get 8% off your purchase.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
If he is REALLY going to be beating hard on his flashlight, may I also suggest the Surefire 6P. The little Fenix is tough enough for 99.99999% of the population, but there is that 0.00001% that may require the thicker, tougher construction of the 6P. Also has the momentary-push/twist -constant switch which I really respect.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
This look like an ad attempt to me.

I had my suspicions to be fair, but I did not want to jump straight down the throat of a newcomer, just in case they are genuine.

victorias, if you are genuine, please shout up now. We find that advertisers tend to not come back once they have dumped the thread onto us.

smopoim86

Enlightened
The only problem is the H50 is on back-order right now. I'm trying to get one and I have to wait til Fenix-Store has it available, sadly. :(

The 4in1 powerpack is a great intro into the latest LED lights and very versatile as well. I think that's the way to go. :)

She could order a L2D body in addition to the 4in1 powerpack, so the lucky boyfriend would have it all - 1AA, 2AA, CR123.

The link to the L2D body is here which will make the total around $82, which means free shipping!!

This makes it a no-brainer imho.

You're suggesting spending $85 on one flashlight with 3 battery options? I think 2 lights are better than one with 3 battery options. As I mentioned earlier, normal people dont want to deal with all these different battery types. for $15 more than your suggestion she could get a nice headlamp and a great flashlight. I fail to see your reason in wanting 3 battery options and only one light.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
victorias :welcome:

Zebralight H50 if you can find someone with stock. Since it is a floodlight with no throw a regular flashlight would also be needed.
Unless your boyfriend is a tech geek I suggest the Fenix L2T instead of the L2D everyone else is suggesting. The L2T is a simple 2 mode flashlight - Loosen the head for low (good for indoors), tighten the head for high (good for outdoors), click the rear switch for on/off. The L2D has 6 modes.
There are 1AA versions of the L2T/L2D called L1T/L1D. About 2/3 the brightness and 2/3 the runtime.
The Fenix store has a 8% discount for CPF members. Discount code CPF8

Today's power flashlights do not work well with alkaline batteries (just like today's digital cameras) so consider getting some Low Self Discharge NiMH and charger. Eneloops or RayOvac Hybrids. They are usually identified by "Pre-charged".

Try not to buy a CR123A battery flashlight at this time. Unless you are prepared to buy the batteries in bulk online they can be quite expensive (2 for $20).
The reason most CPF flashaholics like CR123A lights is size. A CR123A is 3V same as 2xAA but only 2/3 the length of 1xAA so the flashlight can be small and bright.

Last edited:

_Shawn_

Newly Enlightened
That "Altuslumen Flashlight" looks more like a book light and computer accessory. I would never take something like that camping. :thumbsdow

1+ on a headlamp.
and
1+ on the Fenix L2D/L2T or the SF 6PL.

:welcome:

Last edited:

Brownstone

Enlightened
Hi Victorias,

Hope you aren't overwhelmed with the responses.

The flashlight you linked to is interesting but might not be ideal for your boyfriend. There are two things about this flashlight that make it different from a lot of other lights:
  • It has a built-in tripod so you can place it to shine light on your work.
  • It charges from a USB port.
Both of those features might be useful to someone working in an electronics or mechanical shop, but neither are very useful when hiking or camping.

For a general purpose camping light, I recommend the "Zebralight H50-Q5". It's nice to have a headlamp when camping because it puts the light right on whatever you are working on after dark.

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=89&products_id=434

It might not be the perfect light for all situations, but no light is perfect for everything. If he really enjoys camping, I promise he will like this light. The other one you posted is really just a gadget that would probably never leave his desk.