L2D vs P3D

j12

Newly Enlightened
Which one would be better? I like the fact that the p3d is 160 lumens as compared to the 125 on the l2d. But the thing i am worried about is the runtime with the p3d. Would it be a good idea to get rechargable cr123a's? And could somebody link me to a place where they sell cr123a's for a decent price. Or would the l2d be better all together since it uses easier to find AA batteries?
I would probably buy from fenixstore.com. Has anybody bought from them before?

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi and welcome to CPF!

I only have the L2D, it was my first "real" flashlight, and it is amazing, let me tell you.

If you prefer CR123s then the P3D seem like it would be better in terms of brightness.

But the L2D is no slouch either, just on 2 nimh batteries (I prefer Sanyo Eneloops).

So the choice is yours, no real right or wrong answers. Just what you prefer.

:welcome:

j12

Newly Enlightened
This would be my first "real" flashlight also. How much brighter would the p3d be in comparison to the l2d. And do you know of a place to buy rechargable 123a's? And is fenixstore.com a good place to buy from?

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly I do not like CR123s personally because of the higher cost.

You can get batteries from many places, like Surefire.com, lighthound, battery junction, fenix-store. Since I don't buy them I have no idea which place is cheapest.

In terms of brightness the turbo mode on the L2D is more than adequate for anything I run across. If you really must have the max brightness then by all means go for the P3D, but the L2D is amazingly bright on turbo.

PS - there is the risk of getting counterfeit CR123s on eBay or other sources. They may explode on you which is another reason I dislike CR123s personally. Go with AA if it's your first real light, and then determine if you want to go higher in terms of brightness from there, I think. Personally I've found no need to go brighter with CR123s since I bought my L2D Q5 (most of the time the turbo is far too bright).

Last edited:

primox1

Newly Enlightened
I bought my L2D RB100 in Nov '07 from fenixstore. They kept me updated with the order thru email and shipped/received the light relatively quick. If you order with them, dont forget to use the discount code: CPF8....for 8% off.

allburger

Enlightened
The fenix p3d-ce was my first REAL flashlight as well. The L2D is a cool flashlight. A hot new flashlight is the L1D with the cree q5 that kicks out 120 lumens on 1 AA.

I love my p3d but it is expensive to feed. You can not run rechargable CR's in it. But you can run the rechargables in the l1d and the l2d.

Either one is gonna be a kick *** light.

NigelBond

Newly Enlightened
I have a friend that has an l2d, i have a p3d. Both these are the original non q5 versions. I'd say my p3d is visibly brighter than the l2d. I also find the l2d to be astheticly strange looking. My recomenation would be to get the p3d in a q5 version and read up about using lithium rechargables.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info allburger, didn't know that you couldn't run rechargeables in the P3D.

I guess it's a no brainer to go with the L2D Q5.

PS - here's a thread on P3D vs L2D. Hope it's useful.

Last edited:

NigelBond

Newly Enlightened
I love my p3d but it is expensive to feed. You can not run rechargable CR's in it. But you can run the rechargables in the l1d and the l2d.

Either one is gonna be a kick *** light.

Where did you get this from? There used to be entire threads about how you can use rcr123 batteries with no problems and still retain all the functionality of all the modes. Though fenix will probably not officially recomend that you use them. Im sure there are plenty of people that use rechargables.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget about the premium Cree Q5 editions. They cost a little more, but give you over a 30% increase in brightness due to being that much more efficient. If you want the cheaper normal versions, Lighthound.com is having a sale on them and all the other normal fenix lights including the T1 which is brighter than the P3D. Don't forget that the L2D gives you rechargeable options and the ability to convert it to an L1D or a P2D with the body tubes. Have fun deciding. Personally, I chose both.

allburger

Enlightened
Where did you get this from? There used to be entire threads about how you can use rcr123 batteries with no problems and still retain all the functionality of all the modes. Though fenix will probably not officially recomend that you use them. Im sure there are plenty of people that use rechargables.

I have read the same as you, and I have also read the exact opposite. I have read that some rechargeable will not allow you to utilize all of the modes. I'm not sure if there is a list of batteries that had success and failures, but I do know that it is hit or miss with some of the batteries out there.

NigelBond

Newly Enlightened
Maybe you're confusing the p2d with the p3d? The consensus is that the p2d will have only high mode when using rcr123 cells where as the p3d works normally. Somebody else back me up here.

lumenlover2

Newly Enlightened
Maybe you're confusing the p2d with the p3d? The consensus is that the p2d will have only high mode when using rcr123 cells where as the p3d works normally. Somebody else back me up here.

Perfectly right with 3,7 rechargables!

Bunk3r

Newly Enlightened
Perfectly right with 3,7 rechargables!
lots of confusion here! this should help clear it up:

if using lithium rechargeables you should use protected cells, problem is these are generally slightly longer so on the P3D you loose turbo mode due to not been able to screw the head fully down, you can modify it but the best thing to do is just buy AW's rechargeables in the first place as these are protected and fit properly without loosing modes and are within the operating voltage of the head (on the P3D and Tseries).

in the P2D it overdrives on a 3.7V hot off the charger so you loose the low modes, its not ideal but may do it. you can get 3.0V rechargables but these have a regulator in them which just burns off the excess as heat which isnt ideal.

mighty82

Enlightened
Which one would be better? I like the fact that the p3d is 160 lumens as compared to the 125 on the l2d. But the thing i am worried about is the runtime with the p3d. Would it be a good idea to get rechargable cr123a's? And could somebody link me to a place where they sell cr123a's for a decent price. Or would the l2d be better all together since it uses easier to find AA batteries?
I would probably buy from fenixstore.com. Has anybody bought from them before?
Yes, "everyone" buys from fenixstore around here. Very good service and very popular store. They also have the lifetime warranty that only they offer. No point going for the "old" version L2D or P3D though, no one buys them any more.. Go for the premium version with the Q5 led. Brighter and often with better tint.

Customerservice@4sevens

Newly Enlightened
The P3D is perfectly fine with RCR123a's. It's even ok to use a 3rd RCR123a with a different body. That will net you 50% more run time as well ;)

From what I've seen, we have the cheapest prices on batteries.

The specs you gave are for the CE lights. We have the Cree Q5 which is 215 for the P3D and 180 for the L2D.

NigelBond is correct :D

russwm

Newly Enlightened
First, fenixstore is a great place to buy from. Excellent service and quick shipping. You also don't pay extra for shipping.

I own both lights. Whichever you choose, I suggest you get the premium Q5 versions. They are a little more $$, but well worth it for the extra power.

I use regular CR123's in my P3D, so I can't comment on the rechargeable CR123 issue. If you get the L2D, though, don't use regular alkaline batteries. I use eneloop rechargeables and the work great, and will give you more power than alkalines. Energizer e2 lithiums will give you even more power and longer runtime. You can get some good deals on cr123 batteries at batteryjunction.com and lighthound. Lots of threads about good and bad cr123 batteries on this site.

It is hard for me to say which I like the best. I find the L2D easier to hold, because it is longer, but it is a lot easier to carry the P3D in your pocket. It is pretty impressive to put the P3D on turbo and see an amazing amount of light from such a small flashlight, but the L2D is certainly no slouch.

How often do you think you will be using the light? If you will only be using it a few minutes a day, then you will not run through cr123's very quick, expecially if you don't use turbo mode much.

So, I guess I am saying you should get both. :twothumbs

Latest posts