Gerber Infinity Ultra vs CMG Infinity Ultra

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been trying to get my hands on one of the CMG IU's for a while and thanks to a fellow CPF member, I was successful!:D. Many folks on this forum like the CMG and some even said it was worlds better than the Gerber version. After getting one of the CMG's, here is my take:

1. The build quality on the Gerber is much better. The metal battery tube is thicker, it is heavier, and the battery rattles around in the CMG until you turn it on.

2. The finish on the Gerber seems better to me. The CMG has a more polished or smooth finish.

3. The Gerber is brighter. This is not surprising considering how fast technology changes.

I know many of you will disagree with me on my first point, and I was surprised. I heard from many how robust the CMG was compared to the Gerber. Do not get me wrong, I like both lights, but I think Gerber did a great job of making this great little light better!!:twothumbs

Mike

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened
I have both lights, and the only thing I can say about the build quality is that CMG has coarser threads. I can't comment on tube thickness because I can't accurately measure them, but to me, the CMG feels a bit thicker if not the same. Maybe someone with the proper tool can measure them for us and report the findings? Also, the Gerber can tailstand (and have momentary activation), where CMG cannot (only a dimming result when slowly loosening the head). Interesting fact I dug up here: Gerber weighs 2.2oz with battery, where CMG weighs 2.5oz. Weighed with different battery types, or a thicker body on CMG? Don't know. As for the battery rattle, it can be cured by putting a small foam ring on the bottom of the head, or slipping a post-it note around the battery prior to insertion. Extra hassle? Yes.

The finish on the Gerber is quite smooth too, in my opinion. Though it does seem to have a heavier anodize. Personally I like the raised grip knurling of the CMG better than the faux grip on the Gerber. The CMG just feels more 'positive' under my fingers than the Gerber, when activating.

According to FLR, the CMG ultra has more 'throw' : Gerber is ~ 22 lux at beam center. CMG is ~25 lux at beam center. CMG has more overall relative output too. Who's to argue which one is 'brighter' is probably up to individual sensitivity, LED variation and beam artifacts, though.

Overall, I might agree with you that the Gerber is a slight improvement over the CMG because of tailstanding ability. However, for what it's worth, I would rather have a CMG around my neck in an emergency.

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
...According to FLR, the CMG ultra has more 'throw' : Gerber is ~ 22 lux at beam center. CMG is ~25 lux at beam center...
I'm pretty sure the FLR test was for the "old" version Gerber IU before Gerber upgraded their LEDs (to the Nichia CS?). The current version is about twice as bright as the old CMG and Gerber IUs.

I used to badmouth the Gerber IUs relative to the CMGs before I got a few and discovered the Gerbers were overall better. Besides brighter, they use a spring loaded type twisty which is a much better design than the old CMG twisty that had to conduct electricity through the threads, with the attendant reliability issues that allows. Also, the Gerbers are easier to take apart, for the modders among us, in case you want to put a GS or something else in there. For now, mine is fine just stock.

Last edited:

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
i am hoping for Gerber to put a 50lm LED with 50 hours regulated runtime, same wall of light, same size and maybe just cost a wee bit more and it'd be on my To-Get List! :knight:

:sleepy:

L.E.D.

Enlightened
One thing I like about the Gerber is that the aforementioned switch design allows momentary activation unscrewed only a fourth of a turn, easily locked off by unscrewing at least half a turn.

What's nice about the CMG is its simplicity, no chance of accidental activation, and the body tube is one solid piece whereas the Gerber appears to have two segments.

C4LED

Enlightened
One thing I like about the Gerber is that the aforementioned switch design allows momentary activation unscrewed only a fourth of a turn, easily locked off by unscrewing at least half a turn.

What's nice about the CMG is its simplicity, no chance of accidental activation, and the body tube is one solid piece whereas the Gerber appears to have two segments.

True... and the CMG Ultra-G (Military/Gov.) version is HAIII which you may not have had a chance to compare the Gerber to.

Alero

Enlightened
Wow, my CMG is MUCH higher quality than my Gerber. The threads are soooo much smoother. The Gerber is obviously brighter though, which isn't always a good thing in this type of light.

gunga

Flashaholic
I quite like the Gerber myself and I like the modding aspect of them (I put GS's in mine) but yes, now they are almost too bright!

THey work well as tasks lights and emergency lights. Not as good for shuffling around sleeping people since they are quite bright now!

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mike, I'm sorry to hear you were not overly impressed with the CMG.

Do not get me wrong...I am glad I got it...it is a fine light. The way it was described by some I was expecting a minature version of a Wolf Eyes:). It is a great addition to my collection, thank you! It could also be that I am just so used to using the Gerbers, to me they can just do no wrong!!:thumbsup:

Mike