my LED Frustration

youngster

Newly Enlightened
Is there a high quality torch that I can continue to upgrade over and over again as better LEDs come out? I have some of the most beautiful torches sitting around that I no longer want to use because they aren't bright enough.

Examples:
1) HDS EDC Basic60
2) 2004 Inova T3 (only 85 Lumens)
3) ArcAAA

Why can't I just buy a new head to these every couple of years and keep on using them?

I realize every now and then modders can do this, but it seems inconsistent and risky.

Illum

Flashaholic
I don't understand why we have to upgrade LEDs every year...its like renewing software versions every year...it gets very annoying:shakehead

R&D should create an LED, stick with that LED and look for ways to use it, not tossing it out for another LED just to start from the drawing board all over again :rant:

I dunno if its just me or is someone else agreeing on this but I still say we would've been better off just stuck with luxeons:scowl:

Marduke

Flashaholic
A light which utilizes a P60 style dropin is cheap and easy to upgrade. New tech comes out and you can spend anywhere between $10-$60 for a new module. Just drop out and drop in, easy as changing a light bulb.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
High power LED's are relatively new and still developing. There are lots of lights available that are easy to upgrade - especially the customs. No one says you have to upgrade - I'm just thankful we have companies so interested in LED technology that we can expect to have the option of brighter and longer runtime if we want it. SureFire 6P's are an easy upgrade in LED modules and McGizmo's lights as well as a lot of other customs will be easy to upgrade.

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
McGizmo's Aleph System was one of the best thought out upgradeable systems:-

Aleph-1 head with McR27 Reflector
Aleph-2 head with McR20 Reflector
Aleph-3 head with McR38 Refector
Aleph-19 head with McR19XR Reflector

There were also Aleph bodies for 1 or 2 cells
and Aleph tailcaps.

The beauty is that they are all E-series compatible and have
a Light-Engine that's easily upgradeable or replaceable.
(It screws into the head)

Although many of the Aleph-Series of lights have long been discontinued by
McGizmo himself, there are many other builders making beautiful Ti
clones of these heads, bodies and tailcaps, and non-Ti Aleph parts
can still be found in the Sandwich Shoppe and also on Custom B/S/T.

If you acquire these parts then you can assemble your own light
and change out the Aleph-L.E or just replace the led in an existing
L.E when the leds increase in efficiency.

TNC also offer interchangeable systems with canisters with light engines
that screw into their heads. Look for the TNC sub-forum in the modders
section.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a high quality torch that I can continue to upgrade over and over again as better LEDs come out? I have some of the most beautiful torches sitting around that I no longer want to use because they aren't bright enough.

They're just as bright as the day you bought them.

Brownstone

Enlightened
I dunno if its just me or is someone else agreeing on this but I still say we would've been better off just stuck with luxeons:scowl:

Absolutely! And we'd all be better off if we had Intel 286 computers and used 300 baud modems to connect to the internet. It's like there is some kind of conspiracy to cram "progress" down our throats.

gollum

Enlightened
I'm waiting for an edc that will fry canetoads at 20yards and run for 3 hours on one rcr123 and have a uv/red/white low output for non fatal illumination...
any builders out there please send me a quote :poke:

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've reciently invested in a Ti E-series torch so I will be able to keep up with LED Tech. (I hope anyway)

Mayo

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer progress.

what if people told edison "we dont need any stinking filiment in glass nonsense when i have my candle" candle powerforums would be a much more literal place.

things are just gonna get more advanced, nothing we can do about it...i for one like the fact that now my 2 x CR123A light can light up the tops of buildings, and yet last about an hour.

Crenshaw

cv3po

Banned
Examples:
1) HDS EDC Basic60
2) 2004 Inova T3 (only 85 Lumens)
3) ArcAAA
Why can't I just buy a new head to these every couple of years and keep on using them?quote]

Only 85 lumens!?

OK, so sell your used torches on Ebay and put the funds towards something new.....................or learn to solder. Now how hard was that? Are you still upgrading your 8-track sound system or have you moved on to cassette?

FirstDsent

Enlightened
Any light that has a star screwed to the heatsink is easily upgradeable. Just desolder the wires, unscrew the old star, screw on the new star, and solder the wires. I have upgraded my Nuwai Q3 five times in three years. I got it with a T-bin Luxeon II, and now it has a Cree XR-E R2 and a Flupic micro controller. The forward voltage of all these LEDs is similar enough to use the same driver.

Bernie

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Is there a high quality torch that I can continue to upgrade over and over again as better LEDs come out?

Yes.... Dereelights.

And no need to buy new heads. You just buy new pills to put into the lights as more powerful pills become available over time.

Latest posts