Novatac EDC120 vs. Surefire L1 comparison, with pictures

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen the EDC120 vs. L1 threads popping up often, so here's a short comparison, maybe will help some people decide.

Size wise, L1 is obviously bigger, same size as Fenix P3D if you are familiar with that.

sizegk1.jpg

When in hand, L1 extends out of my palm on both ends, while Novatac is fits right inside my palm.

l1handnf6.jpg

novahandmy4.jpg

They weight exactly the same, 90 grams with battery, or 3.15 ounce.

Beam wise Novatac has more spill and a smaller hotspot, while L1 has very little spill but a larger hotspot.

L1 left Novatac right (Hmm, I never noticed how blue the Novatac is till I took this pic. But this should not affect which light you choose, it just means I lost the tint lottery but your mileage may vary)
beamfz1.jpg

Indoor, both on 10 lumen setting. Exposure and f-stop are locked so brightness is directly comparable.

L1
l1indooroh8.jpg

Novatac
novaindoorfv8.jpg

Outdoor, both on max setting. Exposure and f-stop are locked so brightness is directly comparable. This is as outdoorsy as you are get from me right now, since I live in the city and many of yours living room is bigger than my yard.

L1
l1outdoordv7.jpg

Novatac
novaoutdoorii8.jpg

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the comparison pictures. There's a bit too much sidespill in the beam of the EDC120 for my tastes.

I'm sure some other people will feel differently though. :thumbsup:

primox1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the comparison.
The tint on the Nova is a bit too blue compared to the warm L1. Which beam of the two do you find more useful and efficient? Which light do you prefer more?

Snow

Enlightened
Despite the different beam patterns, it looks like they are very similar functionality-wise at cose distances.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review!:twothumbs
Looks like you lost the P4 lottery on the 120:sick2:.
I've seen NovaTacs with great tint and some with not so great, though the only time I could tell was when comparing lights side by side.
I still think the NovaTac has a lot more versatility, but that SF looks pretty nice.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
It actually doesn't look bad when used by itself. I never even noticed it until I took the side by side photo. Maybe when the V bin comes out I'll swap to that and hope the tint is better. They are both great light and I'd be happy with either, although the only complain I have about L1 is the 10 lumen setting is a little too bright when used indoors at night (outdoor is fine).

OH, OH, do apples and oranges next!!:poke:

I'm out of apples, will you take potato and orange? :D

Last edited:

chaoss

Enlightened
Great job on this comparison and thanks for taking the time to do it. I own both of these as well and as good as the L1 is I still grab the 120 for EDC every time.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice comparison!

A great CONGRATULATIONS for the pictures with the lights in your hand! This kind of picture should be an obbligation in light reviews! It´s perfect to check it´s sizes!

russtang

Flashlight Enthusiast
In comparing the size of these two lights, I think many people don't realize

the difference in diameter can affect their preference for one or the other.

Buffalohump

Enlightened
Hey, thanks for the review and pics....

Interesting that they weigh the same...

I like both lights, but IMO they both share a common weakness - the clips.

The L1 clip is in a funny place and the Novatac clip... well, its pretty well documented where that could be improved.

Dunno why clips are such a challenge for manufacturers.

Brigadier

Enlightened
Hey, thanks for the review and pics....

Interesting that they weigh the same...

I like both lights, but IMO they both share a common weakness - the clips.

The L1 clip is in a funny place and the Novatac clip... well, its pretty well documented where that could be improved.

Dunno why clips are such a challenge for manufacturers.

I agree with you on the way SureFire mounts their clips. I never understood it, unless it is for hat brims vs pockets. :thinking: The E1B is the exception.

I love the NovaTac clip, except I mounted the new low profile one on mine right out of the box.

crocodilo

Enlightened
Nice comparison!

A great CONGRATULATIONS for the pictures with the lights in your hand! This kind of picture should be an obbligation in light reviews! It´s perfect to check it´s sizes!

Same comment here!

I don't own a Novatac, but my L1 has a great beam, much beyond what I was expecting from a light rated 65 lumens.

Last edited:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually like the clip on novatac. It's perfect for clip onto a belt, and the ring provide a nice stop for gripping it cigar style. But the clip on L1 does leave a lot to be desired, only time I'd use it is for hat, but at least it's low profile and small enough to non-intrusive.

As for which I prefer, I'd say it really depends on the situation. Novatac is great for up close work, L1 is great for outdoor. If you just want a light that works when you need it it's the L1, if you want a gadget it's novatac.