Do you think an E01 could be modded with non-Nichia?

lightemittingdiode

Newly Enlightened
Do you think the Fenix E01 could be modded with an LED besides the stock Nichia? I.e a Seoul, Cree or a Rebel? Ok, maybe not a Rebel as it's SMT (but you still never know). Not really talking about the physical fit aspect here, moreso in regards to the electronic aspect.

Just wondering what the E01 driver board will handle, and what it pumps out.

If you buy a stock Cree or Seoul flashlight, the driver board is already setup to crank out alot. But is this the case for the E01 only driving a Nichia?
IOW, is it capable to step up to the plate to pump out for a Cree or Seoul if you were able to rig one up to the E01?

I really like the build quality and price of the E01, but don't like Nichia's, especially in color. Really like Rebel's and Cree's.

Bottom line, I'd like to get the E01 but mod it with either a Cree, Seoul or Rebel green led.
Think it's possible and driving the led to its potential?

Tx.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
e01 pumps out 20 ma, at this current there's no point in changing to a high power led. If you want to do that thou, you might as well get a l0d to begin with, which have everything set up already.

mighty82

Enlightened
The circuit will put out about the same current no mather what led you put in there, with small variations because of variating forward voltage. A rebel 100 or a q5 will be about as bright as the GS thats already there, but with better tint. A cree or a rebel is no "harder" to drive than a nichia led.

mighty82

Enlightened
Better tint can't be that bad...is it added cost that's keeping Fenix from doing it?
Yes, and it's a bit overkill putting a led capable of over 200 lumens into a 9 lumen 20ma flashlight. People that want a brighter light with better tint and higher price will just buy something else, like the L0D.

mmmflashlights

Enlightened
Putting something like a Cree, Seoul, or Rebel in this light will result in a pure flood light with no hotspot at all, so that's something to be aware of. It would be an entirely different kind of beam without some reflector or optic to direct the light, it's not like your typical 5mm LED that already has a beam pattern created.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, maybe not a Rebel as it's SMT (but you still never know).

There's no more reason a rebel wouldn't work than a cree or seoul.

Also, apparently the old E0 was controlled with a constant voltage driver, rather than constant current. Given the variation in brightness of the E01's, I'd say they're the same- constant voltage, with the LED's having differing forward voltages accounting for the different brightnesses. So if you have a really low forward voltage power LED and put it in, then a higher current may be pumped into the LED than 20ma, and damage the driver.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Putting something like a Cree, Seoul, or Rebel in this light will result in a pure flood light with no hotspot at all, so that's something to be aware of. It would be an entirely different kind of beam without some reflector or optic to direct the light, it's not like your typical 5mm LED that already has a beam pattern created.

For my EDC preference, floodier would be even better :thumbsup:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, and it's a bit overkill putting a led capable of over 200 lumens into a 9 lumen 20ma flashlight. People that want a brighter light with better tint and higher price will just buy something else, like the L0D.

actually not really, up to a point, CREE, etc lamps underdriven are much much more efficient then 5mm leds.

I am most interested in changing out the 5mm for a DS rather then having it as a GS

Crenshaw

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking at the Tiablo MA1, and that light puts out 30 lumens with a Rebel 100 for 8 hours on one AAA battery. IMO, that level of light is worth extra money.

mighty82

Enlightened
I was looking at the Tiablo MA1, and that light puts out 30 lumens with a Rebel 100 for 8 hours on one AAA battery. IMO, that level of light is worth extra money.
The GS led is very close to a Q5 or a Rebel 100 in efficiency on low current levels. I don't believe that the MA1 will give 30 lumens for 8 hours on one AAA cell before I see it.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I remember seeing an E0 modded with a Cree. One reason not to do it, you need to add a lens for it to be durable.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
No need for a cree, lumens would be about the same - only a little better tint + more light spill (less throw). It would be much less durable/reliable.