Potential P7 host?

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Local shop has a stainless shell 3 million candlepower spotlight on sale for $15, I wonder how well would it do as a P7 host. Given its metal shell heatsinking may be easier (although still need to make some sort of internal heatsink I'm sure). Plenty of space inside for battery and circuit. And maybe the giant reflector will help in focusing the p7?

What do you guys think?

lukevsdarth

Newly Enlightened
First what kind of battery is it 6volts? You will need a good driver to drop voltage to 3.7-4-2. Next you will probably need to make a heatsink maybe drill a cooper piece of pipe to back of emitter . Before you do any modding try sautering a + and a - to the P7 star and find out what kind of throw the reflector will produce even if its a few seconds at a time. If not a good throw determine if you can sit the emitter better by sanding down reflector or drilling it out. If all that works for you good luck the runtime should be great depending on 6Ah or so which most sealed batteies are. :whistle:

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Local shop has a stainless shell 3 million candlepower spotlight on sale for $15, I wonder how well would it do as a P7 host. Given its metal shell heatsinking may be easier (although still need to make some sort of internal heatsink I'm sure). Plenty of space inside for battery and circuit. And maybe the giant reflector will help in focusing the p7?

What do you guys think?

Yeah my Local Ace Hardware also selling one of those, there are 2 or 3 version of it with different sizes. Not stainless steel though more like alluminium. I was thingking of buying it and convert it to HID.

Nice P7 host too.....

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs

I was wondering when someone wold realize the great big reflectors in spotlights might work better than those in tiny DX 18650 lights or Mag mods. Still waiting for someone to jam a P7 into one of those 15 MCP spotlights.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
It probably is aluminum, the same shop put description of "high power halogen bulb" under a lux I side emitter light.

I don't know how will I make a heatsink since I don't have any metal working tool. I already have a heatsink design in mind, now I just need a lathe, lol.

Last edited:

uluapoundr

Newly Enlightened
I got a light like this at home and the battery wasn't holding charge, hmmmmm, time to so some surgery and see whether she'd be good for a transplant. It already has a charging jack, that would be cool if I could wire up a pack.

lukevsdarth

Newly Enlightened
It probably is aluminum, the same shop put description of "high power halogen bulb" under a lux I side emitter light.

I don't know how will I make a heatsink since I don't have any metal working tool. I already have a heatsink design in mind, now I just need a lathe, lol.
My 2 cents a copper cap 3/4 or 1/2 satuered to star emitter