The Fenix-Store        
Page 97 of 98 FirstFirst ... 4787909192939495969798 LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,910 of 2920

Thread: Small Portable Radio's?

Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

Thanks for the comparisons. Sure holds its own with some of the big boys - I'm listening to mine quite a bit ( Mitsuko Uchida's Mozart Piano Sonatas on the microsd ).

Finally I have received my Sangean DT-800 US version. The only minus I have noticed so far ó FM ATS skips some stations. But it is very easy to store them manually, so not an issue for me. This ATS logic is beyond my comprehension: it stores stations in order of their signal strength... WHY?!

Quote Originally Posted by vadimax View Post
    This ATS logic is beyond my comprehension: it stores stations in order of their signal strength... WHY?!
    does not compute for me either.

Some great comments in todderbert's video reviews - here's a good one below on the DT-800 - DT-400W comparison. Seems the 2nd chip in the DT-400W allows radio use in weather alert mode.

You can't use weather band and the standard radio bands at the same time because they're cheap and they want to make more profit out of you, not because of power savings. Unlike the DT-400 (which they've also cheaped out on with newer revisions) this DT-800 has only one tuner chip, while the DT-400 has 2 of them (Si4730D60GU - AM/FM/SW/LW tuner chip / Si4738C40GU - AM/FM/WB tuner chip) So, as you can see, one chip can only operate on one band at a time while with two chips you can have one of them running in background at any given time while the other is operating normally in the forground letting you listen to the radio (obviously that would tax you on the batteries, but I'd say not by much anyways... )

And about the poor reception with headphones - You might want to open up your unit and just look after misplaced components... Mine had one resistor from the left audio channel output (one that was part of a R/C filter that prevents the audio amp to enter oscillation) in a blob of solder from the negative end wire of the speaker (speaker that it's also driven by one of the headphones audio channels, so no dedicated speaker amp... ) So because this loose (misplaced) resistor my audio amp was enter oscillation and it was sounding like the worst possible piece of garbage. Fixed that now, but the Q.C. on these radios and the newer revisions with less components (missing filtering capacitors, coupling audio capacitors of lower values than originally intended, etc.) is shoddy at best. So, if you're feeling tech savvy, just open up at least one of those, make a video about it and possibly you'll end up also fixing it, it might be just an easy fix as it was the case with my unit.

Last edited by 5S8Zh5; 02-12-2019 at 07:53 AM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Lebkuecher View Post
    I mentions a few days ago I would try to post a quick audio sample of the PR12, I'm a little late but work has kept me pretty busy.
    Thanks for that Steve. Sounds pretty good to these old ears. Still waiting on mine.

Finally I have received my Sangean DT-800 US version. The only minus I have noticed so far ó FM ATS skips some stations. But it is very easy to store them manually, so not an issue for me. This ATS logic is beyond my comprehension: it stores stations in order of their signal strength... WHY?!
    It's for travelers; if you're in a new location, you automatically have the stations you're most likely to get as the first few presets.

Flashaholic*

Donít mean to drift but SH, I always wondered why the AW/Zebralight box is pertinent in your threads and posts? AW was a battery supplier and most here know what Zebralights are. Just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    Donít mean to drift but SH, I always wondered why the AW/Zebralight box is pertinent in your threads and posts? AW was a battery supplier and most here know what Zebralights are. Just wondering.
    That's my sig; Zebralight has been my EDC since the first SC600, back in the day AWs were the only Li-ions I'd buy. Still live in Cali, still work for Amazon, still drink the Lagunitas beer that Millie is pitching there..

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    That's a lot of frickin' radios; do you have any Bluetooth speakers?
    Sure, I have two UE Megabooms and two of the original UE Booms as well as a few others.

Speaking of Bluetooth it appears C Crane has just introduced the CCRadio 3 which is basically the 2E with Bluetooth capabilities. I really like to 2E, it is one of the better AM radios I have and FM sounds great with its large speaker. I canít think of a better radio to add Bluetooth to.

Thomas posted a review on a pre-production unit.

Preview: The C. Crane CCRadio3 AM/FM/WX and 2 Meter receiver

Speaking of Bluetooth it appears C Crane has just introduced the CCRadio 3 which is basically the 2E with Bluetooth capabilities. I really like to 2E, it is one of the better AM radios I have and FM sounds great with its large speaker. I canít think of a better radio to add Bluetooth to.

Thomas posted a review on a pre-production unit.

Preview: The C. Crane CCRadio3 AM/FM/WX and 2 Meter receiver
    Wonderful news! Makes me wonder how many of the hardcore radio set will get turned on to TuneIn listening now..

Flashaholic*

Wonderful news! Makes me wonder how many of the hardcore radio set will get turned on to TuneIn listening now..

I would use it with TuneIn.

I wish C.Crane could have figured out a way to add S.A.M.E to the weather capabilities but without a keypad it would be difficult unless they developed a phone app or provided a way to directly connect the radio to a PC.
    Last edited by Lebkuecher; 02-12-2019 at 10:22 PM.

Flashaholic*

Thanks for that Steve. Sounds pretty good to these old ears. Still waiting on mine.
    Where did you order your radio from Gene? I would have thought you would have received it by now.

I ordered my PR12 from amazon and chose free shipping, so they put me in the penalty box. After a day or so, I got on chat with amazon and requested expedited shipping, and they helped me out - upgraded to one day shipping. Just did that to my Skywave order also and got it yesterday!

Last edited by 5S8Zh5; 02-13-2019 at 05:13 AM.

radio locator

After watching todderbert's evening band scans on various radios, thought I'd give the new CC Skywave a go. Pretty amazing reception, great sound - don't have the patience to wait on station identification lol (yet?). I can find the bandwidth button in the dark, and 1kHz step turning is a simple tuning knob press in away. Can't believe how small this is! Very satisfied with this purchase - 5 stars.

Quote Originally Posted by 5S8Zh5 View Post
    And about the poor reception with headphones - You might want to open up your unit and just look after misplaced components... Mine had one resistor from the left audio channel output (one that was part of a R/C filter that prevents the audio amp to enter oscillation) in a blob of solder from the negative end wire of the speaker (speaker that it's also driven by one of the headphones audio channels, so no dedicated speaker amp... ) So because this loose (misplaced) resistor my audio amp was enter oscillation and it was sounding like the worst possible piece of garbage. Fixed that now, but the Q.C. on these radios and the newer revisions with less components (missing filtering capacitors, coupling audio capacitors of lower values than originally intended, etc.) is shoddy at best. So, if you're feeling tech savvy, just open up at least one of those, make a video about it and possibly you'll end up also fixing it, it might be just an easy fix as it was the case with my unit.
    Well, I am a lucky one: my Sangean DT-800 works perfectly with earphones attached ó reception equals to antenna attached and stereo sound with DBB on is fine.

Well, I am a lucky one: my Sangean DT-800 works perfectly with earphones attached ó reception equals to antenna attached and stereo sound with DBB on is fine.
    Good deal. I don't use headphones with my small portables - I could try it later and report back.

It's Wednesday, so the weekly Emergency Alert System (EAS) is at 11:45am - going to test some weather radios.

NOAA alert functioned on two DT-400Ws, DT-800, CC Pocket and CC Skywave. Only the two DT-400Ws and CC Skywave could have / had the radio playing when alert was activated - when alarms sounds you hit the Skywave power button (and any DT-400W button) and only then the alert plays. Hit any button on the DT-800 and CC Pocket also.

NOAA alert functioned on two DT-400Ws, DT-800, CC Pocket and CC Skywave. Only the two DT-400Ws and CC Skywave could have / had the radio playing when alert was activated - when alarms sounds you hit the Skywave power button (and any DT-400W button) and only then the alert plays. Hit any button on the DT-800 and CC Pocket also.
    What are most of your actual alerts out there, dust storms?

Flashaholic*

That's my sig; Zebralight has been my EDC since the first SC600, back in the day AWs were the only Li-ions I'd buy. Still live in Cali, still work for Amazon, still drink the Lagunitas beer that Millie is pitching there..
    Thanks for that SH! Never owned a Zebralight but know they were good lights! Like you, I remember when I only delt with AW for Li-Ions in the early days. He always had the best Li-Ions! Wonder whatever happened to him?

Where did you order your radio from Gene? I would have thought you would have received it by now.
    I admit, I went the cheap route and ordered it from Ebay for $19.00 with free shipping. In my defense, I wanted the white with blue trim model and it wasnít available on Amazon. Only the black. I have a flair for colors now in my old age. The wait begins! 😄

As an aside, (again!), we had almost 3 feet of snow last night! Trees falling everywhere and taking out power lines. Interstate I-5 was closed in both directions all day today. We were without power for almost 5 hours. You guys and those that live here in Calif.,(like you SH!), that live in big cities are lucky to get all those stations! I know some of you guys are having winter problems like us.

Living here in extreme Northern California, I rely on a obsolete Radio Shack PRO-83 scanner. It automatically scans the signals available here and locks them in. Has been a great scanner here in rural America! Wouldnít work in your big, crime filled cities with trunk scanners or whatever but still works good here.

You guys and those that live here in Calif.,(like you SH!), that live in big cities are lucky to get all those stations! I know some of you guys are having winter problems like us.
    Just been rain and cool air here, the mountains are freshly powdered though.

So what happens if you try to tune AM stations on your car radio?

What are most of your actual alerts out there, dust storms?
    lots of interstates. then there's camping; flash floods, snow storms in the upper elevations.
    Last edited by 5S8Zh5; 02-14-2019 at 05:02 AM.

Just been rain and cool air here, the mountains are freshly powdered though.

So what happens if you try to tune AM stations on your car radio?
    What a beautiful view! But in summer I guess it reminds living in a furnace.

lots of interstates. then there's camping; flash floods, snow storms in the upper elevations.
    Ah; when we lived in the big county, we'd always get alerts for dust storms for Blythe, which is a small town on the CA/NV border, 200+ miles to the east, but because it's the same county, you still get the alerts..

What a beautiful view! But in summer I guess it reminds living in a furnace.
    The peak of summer averages 90F/30C, so it's not too bad; the ocean is an hour to the West so you can escape it at will. The other side of those mountains is where the Mojave Desert begins, that's where the furnace is..
    Last edited by StarHalo; 02-14-2019 at 07:50 PM.

So I was playing around with the Tecsun PL-310ET and hadn't fallen for it just yet. Then early this morning (around 2) I decided to try the ETM function, which is like ATS (search and store to your memory) but uses a temporary slot of memory while scanning the MW or FM bands. Pretty useful.

Flashaholic*

Yeah, rub it in SH! 😩 My son who lives in La Habra sent me a similar picture to rub it in. I remember those mountains well as I rode my many motorcycles up to Mt. Baldy and Wrightwood and all over the San Gabriel mountains many, many times over the years I lived there. I grew up in Whittier and moved to Long Beach where I raised my kids. The weather is the ONLY thing I miss down there. You guys can have the great weather but the traffic and crazy crowds down there, I will NEVER miss! 😄

You know, Iíve never tried AM radio in my car. In fact Iíve never tried FM either! I have a 1998 Honda CR-V and all I listen to is CDís or an adapter that plays mini SD cards through the cigarette lighter and the FM band. Iíll try it sometime and see what other AM stations I might get.

You know, Iíve never tried AM radio in my car. In fact Iíve never tried FM either! I have a 1998 Honda CR-V and all I listen to is CDís or an adapter that plays mini SD cards through the cigarette lighter and the FM band. Iíll try it sometime and see what other AM stations I might get.
    Your car's AM radio has some big advantages since it's not near any house electronics and it uses a vertical whip antenna; it's the best expedient way to DX AM without dragging a receiver/antenna rig outdoors. There might be a hidden station or two that you could pick up this way.

You would of course get the successor/replacement of the G6
    You know me so well, S.H.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

I screwed up. I ordered a Tivdio VT-111, thinking it was am FM (and SW). I received it and it has no am. Totally my fault, I didn't read carefully enough and assumed every portable would have am.

So now I am back on the hunt and having trouble. I am looking for something small. I can be working in a different area of the plant each day.
    1. Small size.
    2. External antenna.
    3. Battery power double A.
    4. Digital tuning.
    5. Speaker.
    6. Headphone jack.

I might consider other battery options with the exception of a built in rechargeable.
    I was trying to keep it inexpensive, but may have to bite the bullet and get a C Crane.
    I choose to carry a flashlight because I am often kept in the dark.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by ironhorse View Post
    I screwed up. I ordered a Tivdio VT-111, thinking it was am FM (and SW). I received it and it has no am. Totally my fault, I didn't read carefully enough and assumed every portable would have am.

So now I am back on the hunt and having trouble. I am looking for something small. I can be working in a different area of the plant each day.
    1. Small size.
    2. External antenna.
    3. Battery power double A.
    4. Digital tuning.
    5. Speaker.
    6. Headphone jack.

I might consider other battery options with the exception of a built in rechargeable.
    I was trying to keep it inexpensive, but may have to bite the bullet and get a C Crane.
    The first radios that come to mind other than the Skywave are the Tecsun PL-380 or PL-660 / PL-680. The only difference between the PL-660 and PL-680 is the case. The biggest difference between the PL-380 and the PL-660 / PL-680 is size and both the PL-660 and PL-680 have Sync.

How important is FM sound?
    Any budget considerations?
    Are there any other features you would like?
    Last edited by Lebkuecher; 02-15-2019 at 05:22 PM.

How important is FM sound?
    Any budget considerations?
    Are there any other features you would like?

FM and AM sound is somewhat important, more so from the headphone jack, as that would be used more than the speaker.

Budget: I was trying to keep it inexpensive. (The one I purchased was $13 and change), but now I'm thinking up to $150. Buy once, cry once.

Other features, AC cord or capability would be nice.
    Memory pre sets.
    Primarily for FM and AM sports, but other bands are ok.

I will look into the ones you suggested.
    I choose to carry a flashlight because I am often kept in the dark.

Page 97 of 98 FirstFirst ... 4787909192939495969798 LastLast