HDS Systems        
Page 120 of 120 FirstFirst ... 2070110113114115116117118119120
Results 3,571 to 3,573 of 3573

Thread: Small Portable Radio's?

Enlightened

Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

Quote Originally Posted by Lebkuecher View Post
    Fast forward to 3:38 on this YouTube video and you will see the instructions on changing the steps from 9Khz to 10Khz

Would like to hear your opinion of the HDR 737 when you get a chance.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6FORM%3DHDRSC3
    Thanks! I'll try to play with it a little in the next few days, and then I'll make a report.

Enlightened

HRD104 (not HRD737, oops, wrote on wrong radio but I'll leave this) notes as promised:

It's not a bad little radio. As noted in the video, it's very thin and fits well in the hand.

On FM, I find it to be pretty decent. It has good stereo separation (with headphones of course). Sensitivity seems, at a minimum, competent. I can pick up stations here that are slightly weak, and with good quality (a couple of 100,000-watt stations from 70 km away, and a 10,000-watt station that is normally easy to receive but tends to be noisy). Alas, there is no more distant FM to receive here unless conditions are just right.

As for AM, all I can say is ... it's awfully deaf. I can receive local stations fine, as well as a 10 kW station from 70 km away. I also receive a 50 kW clear-channel station well from about 100 km, though I have to turn the radio just right, and the signal is noisy. (This is indoors, in a single-storey wood frame bungalow.) But otherwise... it hears nothing, even slightly more distant stations that I can normally pick up on all but the worst radios.

If anyone has this radio and can scan the instruction leaflet/page for me, that'd be great. Mine didn't come with one. I was able to figure out clock setting and memory programming/deleting/surfing, but the change from 9 to 10 kHz steps on AM would never have occurred to me if not for that video.
    Last edited by PhotoJim; 02-20-2021 at 12:42 PM.

Enlightened

Oops, that's the HRD-104 I reviewed.

The HRD-737 is pretty similar, but of course has a lot more bands. It suffers from some of the same issues that the HRD-104 does on AM mode - it's pretty deaf. It definitely doesn't seem to hear much on the aircraft band, even though I can normally pick up the ATIS frequency from my city's airport pretty easily on radios with an aircraft band.

Tuning to VHF ham radio frequencies is awkward because you can't tune precisely to frequencies that ham users use (e.g. our main repeater is on 147.120 MHz but I can only tune to 147.125).

For the money, though, it's a nice little radio.

Page 120 of 120 FirstFirst ... 2070110113114115116117118119120