Wuben        
Page 108 of 109 FirstFirst ... 85898101102103104105106107108109 LastLast
Results 3,211 to 3,240 of 3257

Thread: Small Portable Radio's?

Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaric Darconville View Post
    Burgess, there may be a better place for your post, maybe the Cafť or somewhere.

Vadimax, did you HAVE to quote his entire post?
    Sorry, I post from an iPad. iOS features worst in the world text selection. To delete something you need to do it one symbol at a time with a backspace.
    Last edited by vadimax; 06-04-2019 at 01:28 PM.

Thank you, EVERYONE !

Moderators --

You may delete these postings now,
    if you wish.

* BIG THANK YOU * to ALL ! ! !

_

Hello to everyone. This is my very first post on these forums. I found this place when doing research on portable radios, and this thread came up in my search.

This thread has been a very helpful source of information in my research, so I thought I would post here. After much research, I wound up buying the Eton Field BT. I haven't read a whole lot about it on any forums, but I did watch a review video by Todderbert that was very positive. Jay Allen also gave it high marks on both AM and FM reception.

In any event, I just got it last week, so I've only used it for a few days, but so far I've been very impressed with the reception on both AF and FM. The sound is full and rich also. The controls are well laid out, and I'm slowly getting used to them. I've played around with the SW reception a little, but not enough to really form any opinions. And I'm a complete newb at SW anyway.

I have no other radios to which I can compare it. But I just ordered a Tecsun PL-380 today, so that will provide some reference point one I get it and have a chance to put it through it's paces. Hopefully, at that point I'll be able to contribute a little more info to this thread.

Anyway, thanks to you folks for all the great information on this thread.

One more thing. I bought the Eton Field BT last week. As is typical for me, I noticed this morning that the price had gone down by $20. I thought it was a good value at the price I paid, and it seems to be a no brainer at the reduced price.

I'm sure the price on the Tecsun PL-380 will go down too now that I've bought one.

Quote Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
    Hello to everyone. This is my very first post on these forums. I found this place when doing research on portable radios, and this thread came up in my search.
    Welcome to the party

When you're ready to try shortwave, look into getting a ~$12 reel antenna, which is just a long length of wire that plugs into your antenna jack, you'll get many more stations from much farther away with one of these simple tools.

...just ordered a Tecsun PL-380 today, so that will provide some reference point one I get it and have a chance to put it through it's paces. Hopefully, at that point I'll be able to contribute a little more info to this thread.
    I predict you're going to really like that Tecsun. ETM station search into a memory that does not interfere with your favorites memory saves. Learn to use the VF / VM and you're set!

Well, I just discovered a flaw with the Eton Field BT. The clock is defective. I noticed last night that the time was off by a couple of hours. I re-set it to the correct time. I just checked it this morning at 6:05 and the clock shows 11:05am. Hmmmm.

I won't send it back over this issue because I don't use it as an alarm clock and I like the sound quality and other features of the radio. But it's disappointing for something as simple as a digital clock to be defective in this day and age.

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    Welcome to the party

When you're ready to try shortwave, look into getting a ~$12 reel antenna, which is just a long length of wire that plugs into your antenna jack, you'll get many more stations from much farther away with one of these simple tools.
    I think the PL-380 comes with a clip-on antenna. It doesn't have a separate antenna jack, which is one of the cons of the PL-380 vs. the 310et.

Anyway, hopefully the clip-on antenna will work on the Field BT too. The PL-380 is supposed to arrive today, and I'll check that when it gets here.

But I just ordered a Tecsun PL-380 today, so that will provide some reference point one I get it and have a chance to put it through it's paces. Hopefully, at that point I'll be able to contribute a little more info to this thread.

Anyway, thanks to you folks for all the great information on this thread.
    I set all memory channels in my Tecsun radios one by one, and I find their memory setting/recall functions to be easy to use and very effective. Enjoy your new radios!
    "However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -- Stanley Kubrick

Flashaholic*

Yes indeed. WELCOME GoPappy to this contained madness!

Well, I just discovered a flaw with the Eton Field BT. The clock is defective. I noticed last night that the time was off by a couple of hours. I re-set it to the correct time. I just checked it this morning at 6:05 and the clock shows 11:05am. Hmmmm.
    The Field BT is advertised as having both a World and Local time display; if the minutes are the same, then you're setting one but displaying the other.

Nah, it's just slow. It's 2:39pm here right now, and the Field BT is reading 7:38pm. I read a review somewhere by someone who said the clock on their Field BT was way off too. Must have been a bad batch or something.

It has the option of a 12 hour or 24 hour clock. I just changed it from 12 hour to 24 hour and re-set it to the correct time, so I'll check it. But it seems impossible to me that it would measure time correctly in one mode and not the other.

I'm keeping it anyway. Bugs me a little, but not enough to send it back. There are a lot of good things about this radio, and I've got lots of other ways to tell the time.
    Last edited by GoPappy; 06-08-2019 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 5S8Zh5 View Post
    RADIWOW R-108...

edit:

^ This is also my go-to alarm radio. Just tune in your favorite station, set the volume, push the alarm button and it saves the setting.
    An earlier post a whole page back - my most used alarm clock (mostly when I'm baking crackers - flax seed or almond flour).

new todderbert XHDATA D-808 review...

- 18650! ( included )
    - size comparisons and buttonology can't be beat in his reviews...

Last edited by 5S8Zh5; 06-09-2019 at 03:44 AM.

Ballgame ( AAA ) in a few hours - taking the Sangean SR-35 and ipod buds. For me, the non-symmetrical ( example ) ones work better in ear what with the wind and stadium speaker announcement distractions. With the symmetrical buds ( example ), I found myself having to push them / adjust them to hear what was going on.

Flashaholic*

I am just curious if anyone is considering buying the CCRadio 3 when the radio begins shipping in Aug?

I believe the CCRadio 3 soon to be predecessor the CCRadio 2E is one of the finest currently produced radio available today in a desktop size. The overall quality, audio and performance is exceptional and even when considering the classics, the only radio I prefer listening to more when listening to AM/FM stations is the Panasonic RF-2200.

I thought about buying the CCRadio 3 but the only real difference between the CCRadio 2E and the CCRadio 3 is the addition of Bluetooth which is a nice feature but for me anyway is not enough to justify the purchase given I already have the CCRadio 2E . I wish C.Crane would have considered adding HD as well as more memory and possibly even a remote. Before buying Tecsun S-8800 the remote had little appeal but after using the S-8800 I now really like using the remote. I believe there are a lot of happy CCRadio 2E customers who would consider buying the CCRadio 3 if more features were added.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebkuecher View Post
    I thought about buying the CCRadio 3 but the only real difference between the CCRadio 2E and the CCRadio 3 is the addition of Bluetooth which is a nice feature but for me anyway is not enough to justify the purchase given I already have the CCRadio 2E . I wish C.Crane would have considered adding HD as well as more memory and possibly even a remote.
    Put a Bluetooth receiver on the 2E's line in, presto, a 3 at a tenth of the cost, and your device is the new remote.

Flashaholic*

Put a Bluetooth receiver on the 2E's line in, presto, a 3 at a tenth of the cost, and your device is the new remote.
    I have a Zoe Bluetooth adapter I bought a year or two ago from Amazon and it works well with the 2E. In fact, I am streaming music to the 2E now as I type this reply from my iPhone. The 5in speaker in the 2E sounds really good when streaming low to mid volumes which can easily fill a room. I never really crank the volume higher due to others in the house. To my ears the 2E sounds almost as good as my UE Megaboom and is about $100.00 cheaper. When comparing the 2E against the Megaboom as a travel music/news option there is also the added benefit of running the 2E off of D cells when camping and of course having a AM/FM/weather radio. Most of the places I camp there is no WiFi or cell service so having a radio is a big plus.

Flashaholic*

Today I was trying to catch up on some radio news checking out some blogs and was completely shocked when I came across Thomasís post on SWLing that Eton is bring back the Eton E1. I realize most people reading this thread today may not be familiar with the Eton E1 but the radio has to be one of the most controversial radios in history. The E1 from the very start was intended to be the most sophisticated semiprofessional/consumer class shortwave receiver ever produced providing performance second to none and having features never offered in a consumer class receiver. Unfortunately, due to continual delays and development cost Eton decided to manufacture the E1 in India to reduce production cost and the radio was plagued with QC issues including a recall of some of the lower S/N. From the very beginning of development their were issues as the SW community patiently waited for the highly anticipated release. Delays were nonstop but finally after 10 years of delays and nearly bankrupting Eton the radio was finally released around 2005. Reviews were completely mixed after the release, QC issues and the decision to use the whip as a MW antenna allowing for local interference as well as the general decline in SW radios sales in general hurt the E1ís sales to the point where only 10000 units were produced before Eton decided to discontinue the radio. For those who have a properly working E1 the goals of achieving a super radio were realized but the risk in buying the E1 were high.

A few years ago I decided to buy a E1 but knowing the risk I would only buy a E1 with a higher than 5000 S/N which lead to a substantial delay before one would become available on eBay. I knew at the time a E1 purchase would be the riskiest radio purchase I would ever make even limiting my purchase options to the higher S/N. Fortunately looking back I would say I was lucky, the E1 I purchased still works today and SW performance out classes every radio I have which includes several high performance classics. FM performance is exceptional but MW/AM suffers from using the whip as an antenna due to local interference. Part of the lure for me was that the E1 was the first portable radio to offer XM radio as an option and as a camper in remote areas this was a huge plus. Given the history of the E1 I am surprised to see the radio reintroduced but if it happens I for one look forward to the release.

Wow! Check out the new Eton Elite Satellit!

Eton is bring back the Eton E1.
    Good news but bizarre timing; there's been nothing to prevent Eton from producing this radio since it was discontinued in 2010, they could have easily dominated the SW radio market for an entire decade. Now they're bringing it back in the Bluetooth era without Bluetooth..

Looks like this new one will also use the whip antenna for MW. Is that necessarily an MW killer? I don't understand the science.

The catalog says "late summer 2019" and shows the price as $399.99.

Good news but bizarre timing; there's been nothing to prevent Eton from producing this radio since it was discontinued in 2010, they could have easily dominated the SW radio market for an entire decade. Now they're bringing it back in the Bluetooth era without Bluetooth..
    I guess Eton has some misunderstanding why the E1 has failed. It might have had outstanding features (?), but what it definitely had ó is ugly design.

If they donít improve it, it fails again for sure.

Today I was trying to catch up on some radio news checking out some blogs and was completely shocked when I came across Thomasís post on SWLing that Eton is bring back the Eton E1.
    I'd like to see a todderbert review to see how it shakes out.

Flashaholic*

Looks like this new one will also use the whip antenna for MW. Is that necessarily an MW killer?
    The MW/AM band is far more susceptible to local Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) than the FM band. Almost any electrical appliance can generate noise and if you are in a home with a lot of electrical devices it can be a struggle to get a clean AM/MW signal. Take any AM radio and place next to a phone charger or computer and you will hear noise being generated that degrades the MW/AM signal. The issue with using a telescopic or whip antenna VS an internal ferrite rod antenna for AM/MW is there is no way to deal with RFI unless you turn the source of the RFI off which is not always an option. A radio with an internal ferrite rod AM/MW antenna can be rotated away from the source which helps minimize RFI noise.
    Last edited by Lebkuecher; 06-11-2019 at 01:36 PM.

I guess since it's so big, laying it flat and rotating can be problematic, but a whip MW? No experience with that setup.

Quote Originally Posted by 5S8Zh5 View Post
    I guess since it's so big, laying it flat and rotating can be problematic, but a whip MW? No experience with that setup.
    It's what your car uses; it pulls harder than an internal ferrite rod, but omnidirectionally, so it'll pick out every little RF noise from all corners of your house simultaneously.

It's what your car uses; it pulls harder than an internal ferrite rod, but omnidirectionally, so it'll pick out every little RF noise from all corners of your house simultaneously.
    some cars have whips. i always test the lower end MW band in the morning drive, which is short. yesterday was pretty clear.

Lebkuecher, thanks for the explanation. Makes perfect sense.

I wonder why Eton would choose the use the whip antenna for MW.

Flashaholic*

I wonder why Eton would choose the use the whip antenna for MW.
    I do not know but just a guess.

I read somewhere that the R. L. Drake Company played a role in the original design of the E1. Drake to the best of my knowledge never really played in the consumer class portable SW market but manufactured higher end equipment that would normally use external antennas which the E1 supports. You can google the Drake R8 to give you an idea of what Drake was selling when the E1 was in the early design phase in 1994. Could it be the thought at the time was the customers who would likely buy a E1 would already have external antennas and the whip would just be a backup? Again I really donít know but the real question is given the negative feed back for not having a internal ferrite rod antenna why would Eton not include it today.

Wanted to post an update on the Eton Field BT. I've been using it a lot, and I'm really enjoying it. Great FM reception and very good AM reception. Nice full sound from the internal speaker, and I love having the Bass and Treble knobs to adjust the sound. The controls are pretty easy to figure out and remember. I also like being able to flip a switch to make the display stay on so I can watch the RDS display. The clock is defective, but everything else works fine.

Overall, there's a lot to like about this radio, and it's a good looking unit also. I've been running it on 4 NiMh "D" batteries for over a week, and they're still showing full charge. It's a good buy at the current price of $80, IMO.
    Last edited by GoPappy; 06-15-2019 at 07:39 PM.

Page 108 of 109 FirstFirst ... 85898101102103104105106107108109 LastLast