FourSevens        
Page 112 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1262102105106107108109110111112
Results 3,331 to 3,348 of 3348

Thread: Small Portable Radio's?

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

Quote Originally Posted by 5S8Zh5 View Post
    One thing I've noticed about portables is that those with lanyards really don't need them for my uses. So I started snipping them off; Tecsun R-233 was first. Then the CC Skywave. The Tecsun PL-880 and ICR-110 are next (on the chopping block). Of course the ICR-100 lanyard is the antenna, so those two stay.
    Couldnít agree with you more. I have a large baggie stuffed with lanyards off of flashlights and radios Iíve bought through the years. They just seem to get in the way.

One very good use for lanyards (that has saved me a few times):

Flashaholic*

Being that I donít own a cellphone, do any of you folks that do, do you ever carry them in your back pockets? I see lots of people that do and canít understand that and have heard complaints about screens cracking and other detrimental stuff. Seems like an accident begging to happen and I wonder why folks do that?

Any new micro AM/FM/MP3-4 players out there that I can add to my collection? 🙄

Been carrying my Smartphone
    in my shirt pocket for Years and Years and Years !

Never caused me ANY problems !

_

Flashaholic*

Overall for traveling and casual listening it hard to beat the Tecsun PL-880. I canít think of a trip I have taken where the PL-880 didnít come along. The passive radiator speaker produces excellent audio and FM and shortwave performance is excellent. Like most Tecsun radios AM performance is only OK but with a reasonable signal is acceptable but there are better options on the market for DXing.

Tecsun has introduced what is apparently the PL-880 replacement which is the PL-990 due to be released as early as this December. Not a lot is known at this time other than this radio is supposed to be the absolute best Tecsun has to offer and is being produced to celebrate Tecsunís 70 year anniversary. One big difference compared to PL-880 is the addition of a SD slot for MP3s but according to some comments on SWLing the SD capabilities will not include recording. There is some confusion as to rather or not the PL-990 will have Bluetooth, comments on SWLing indicate there will not but if you look at the unboxing video at 3:45 you see BT flashing in the display when depressing the Radio/MP3 key and according to the comments on YouTube someone clams the reviewer mentions the PL-990 has Bluetooth. If anyone can understand Chinese please comment on what you hear in the video.

I look forward to seeing reviews.

Doubling as an sd player would be a plus for my uses. Hopefully it will have a memory to the last played file / song. - not all of them do. Will keep an eye on this one.

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    Being that I donít own a cellphone, do any of you folks that do, do you ever carry them in your back pockets? I see lots of people that do and canít understand that and have heard complaints about screens cracking and other detrimental stuff. Seems like an accident begging to happen and I wonder why folks do that?

Any new micro AM/FM/MP3-4 players out there that I can add to my collection? 
    Something funny, some Cat at the Coachella Festival (We all hate this dam event in the desert), pick pocketed like 100+ Cell phones, a year or so ago, and people used the Apple location feature, and the Cat was located, then arrested on site!

What at a Fool!
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Flashaholic*

Another YouTube has been posted by the open box reviewer comparing the audio between Tecsun PL-680 and the Tecsun PL-990. After listening carefully I would say the audio is comparable as to what I would expect if I were comparing my PL-880 with my PL-680. I don't think there is any doubt about the PL-990 having a passive radiator speaker.

I can see myself getting a 990.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by 5S8Zh5 View Post
    I can see myself getting a 990.

I may as well but if the role out of the PL-990 is like the role out back in 2013 of the PL-880 then you can expect some early firmware revisions so it might be a good idea to wait. One big question is MW performance and noise levels on weak signals, based on this vid I think there may be some improvement from past Tecsun radios. I wish I could understand what the guy is saying.

Last edited by Lebkuecher; 10-11-2019 at 01:23 PM.

Enlightened

I just bought one of these for about $45 Australian (US$30ish) shipped.

It's a Tecsun R-304 and takes 2 D cell batteries and can use 240v mains, there is another version called a R-304D that has a 12v DC input if you wanted to use mains power in non 220-250v countries.

When it arrives I'll take some pics and give my thoughts as well as post some of my other radios.

That looks like a very promising budget emergency radio; big batteries with an analog tuner, and an interface that anyone can use. Would like to know if it's a true analog or DSP tuner, let us know if it digitally "detents" when tuning..
    Last edited by Bullzeyebill; Today at 12:24 PM. Reason: Unnecessary quote

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    That looks like a very promising budget emergency radio; big batteries with an analog tuner, and an interface that anyone can use. Would like to know if it's a true analog or DSP tuner, let us know if it digitally "detents" when tuning..
    I agree.
    Last edited by Bullzeyebill; Today at 12:26 PM. Reason: Unnecessary quote

Flashaholic*

Boy, has this thread cooled down. Itís been a really nice trip! Hope it keeps up!

Yeah Bill, you started it all but youíre still a weirdo! 🤪

I saw a sony 2AA FM/AM radio at Walmart yesterday for about $18. I don't recall the model number though.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Analog ur digital?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    Boy, has this thread cooled down. Itís been a really nice trip! Hope it keeps up!
    About to cross a million views, that's warmer than most..

Quote Originally Posted by Bullzeyebill View Post
    Analog ur digital?

Bill
    Analog
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Page 112 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1262102105106107108109110111112