Angryfox        
Page 102 of 102 FirstFirst ... 252929596979899100101102
Results 3,031 to 3,057 of 3057

Thread: Small Portable Radio's?

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    ...my mom was an early adopter of the iPad...Ha, quality purchase, you'll have to tell us how well you can spot whatever you'd have use for a monocular...
    Iím like your mom. I love my iPad Mini 4! I had the 1st Gen. and used it for around 6-7 years. When Apple stopped supporting it, I sold it for $75.00 on Ebay and got a smoking deal on a barely used Mini 4 for $200.00 on another forum.

That TR-817 is very interesting especially with the analog signal meter. Those small speakers back then left a lot to be desired. So tinny sounding even with those tone switches that really accomplished nothing but we didnít care as it so exciting to hear voices and music coming out of those tiny boxes. Sony always included leather cases with their small radios, then they were vinyl and then they were gone.

Sony was such an innovator back in the day. Their stuff ranged from brilliant to quirky but it was always quality stuff like I hope this AM/FM monocular is! I havenít received it yet but when I do, I can listen and laugh at NPR while Iím scoping out the birds, bears and deer around here with the monocular.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by 5S8Zh5 View Post
    Retekess PR12 arrived today. Amazing sound for the size. Tail stands nicely. Mine'll be used mostly for mp3 playing. Volume operation is tricky, as that is used for (mp3) next file duties, so you have to hold and let go where you want it to land. Best to set it and forget it lol.
    Hey Don, Iím really digging this PR12! I loaded it up with a whole bunch of my playlists and itís so cool to have my music in such a tiny thing that I can always have with me. I even carry it in a wintergreen blue and white Altoid box that perfectly matches the blue and white colors of the PR12.

I agree with you on the back-forward track/volume control. It took a bit to get used to but itís pretty intuitive now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    Hey Don, Iím really digging this PR12! I loaded it up with a whole bunch of my playlists and itís so cool to have my music in such a tiny thing that I can always have with me. I even carry it in a wintergreen blue and white Altoid box that perfectly matches the blue and white colors of the PR12.

I agree with you on the back-forward track/volume control. It took a bit to get used to but itís pretty intuitive now.
    Mine is getting plenty of use also. On Sunday there is this 7 hour (5am to noon) FM classical program that I recorded on my ICR-110 to a microSD - and I like playing that back on the PR12. Sound is sweet and clear. The PR12 has no memory on what you last played, but I keep track of the track I'm on lol.

Flashaholic*

Mine is getting plenty of use also. On Sunday there is this 7 hour (5am to noon) FM classical program that I recorded on my ICR-110 to a microSD - and I like playing that back on the PR12. Sound is sweet and clear. The PR12 has no memory on what you last played, but I keep track of the track I'm on lol.
    Very nice! Now we ďneedĒ one that has random/shuffle play that names the track youíre playing. Heck, my old iPod Shuffle of course has shuffle play and even tells you, (orally), the track that is playing.

Flashaholic*

I have no regrets buying PR12 as well. I have used it more than I thought mainly because I can slip it in my front jean pocket and forget about it in till I need it. The PR12 is a good EDC radio. What I also like is the little radio can fill a room with much better than expected audio from the built-in speaker. I went on a walk just yesterday and played some MP3s and listened to some music on a local station.

Very nice! Now we ďneedĒ one that has random/shuffle play that names the track youíre playing. Heck, my old iPod Shuffle of course has shuffle play and even tells you, (orally), the track that is playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebkuecher View Post
    I have no regrets buying PR12 as well. I have used it more than I thought mainly because I can slip it in my front jean pocket and forget about it in till I need it. The PR12 is a good EDC radio. What I also like is the little radio can fill a room with much better than expected audio from the built-in speaker. I went on a walk just yesterday and played some MP3s and listened to some music on a local station.
    All good points! I was once walking with one of my radios - it was probably one of my ipods - tuned to an FM station and listening with ear buds, and breaking news came on - the boston marathon bomb detonations. Great to have something you can check. I'd rather carry a PR12 than a smart phone - but that's me. I carry my dumb phone, and mostly it's turned off.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Lebkuecher View Post
    Very cool Steve! Who would ever guess we could have something this tiny with AM/FM, external speaker AND a micro card reader!

All good points! I'd rather carry a PR12 than a smart phone - but that's me. I carry my dumb phone, and mostly it's turned off.
    Wow Don, I thought I was the only one! As stated in an earlier post, my wife bought me my first smart phone for my birthday this past year and I donít even use it. Itís always turned off unless she goes on a trip alone just in case she has an emergency but our landline phone is always functioning wether we have a power outage or not. Iím glad she has her smart phone to call me in an emergency and she loves it but itís really not my thing.

I have to admit, (again), I love my iPad Mini 4. So as far as nowadays technology goes, itís as far as I want to go but of course, I probably only use 1/100th of what itís capable of but itís fun to use and thatís what Iím using right now to make this post. So I bow to ďsomeĒ of todayís technology!

Itís a fun time to live in now where you can get almost anything you want with these devices!

Very cool Steve! Who would ever guess we could have something this tiny with AM/FM, external speaker AND a micro card reader!
    What are you listening to?

Flashaholic*

Don't forget the SRF-X90; 1xAA AM/FM with 8x monocular..

Hey SH, got this yesterday. I was a complete dope, (whatís new?), as I was under the assumption it had an external speaker. Of course it doesnít! How could they have added an external speaker to something this small and this operates on a single AA cell. Iím a guy where earbuds donít work for me as they bug the heck out of me as I canít stand something in my ear.

However, after putting in earbuds to check this thing out, I was amazed! The sensitivity is as good as any radio I have! I picked up FM stations that only my most sensitive radios will. AM reception was excellent as well. As most of you know, I live very rural in a canyon that blocks most radio signals.

Even the 8X24 built-in monocular in this gives a nice, clear image but the field of view is limiting but not too bad. This must have been built back in the day that harkens to when going to a live sports event, one brought a pocket radio, (to listen to the radio broadcast over the roar of the crowd), and a binocular to watch the action on the field. Leave it to Sony! 😄

Itís build is fairly quality but I noticed this is manufactured in Taiwan. This was in that time period where manufacturing Sony products switched from Japan, (the best quality), and then to Taiwan, (to save production costs), and finally to China, (to save more production costs), like most things nowadays.

I will say, I now have no issues with buying this. Itís a quirky lttle thing thatís very interesting!

Here's a single AAA battery Sangean - headphone radio. Just posted by todderbert yesterday. I don't see it for sale anywhere though.

Features I like about this radio:
    Super small.
    Runs on a single AAA.
    Analog receiver.
    Great AM reception.
    FM stereo sounds great on strong stations.
    Yellow color.
    Cool design elements.
    Extreme portability.
    Accurate dial.
    This is amost the same radio that is built into this Sony! Same design and analog receiver and tuning. The only difference I can see is this Sony runs on a single AA instead of the Sangeanís single AAA but these early radios were battery hogs.

I have to admit, (again), I love my iPad Mini 4. So as far as nowadays technology goes, itís as far as I want to go but of course, I probably only use 1/100th of what itís capable of but itís fun to use and thatís what Iím using right now to make this post. So I bow to ďsomeĒ of todayís technology!
    I've been thinking about getting a tablet.

I've been thinking about getting a tablet.
    The current, standard iPad is at record low pricing right now, only $250; I would strongly recommend one of these if you want the best experience (bearing in mind it doesn't have a lot of space and won't connect to your cell network/is wi-fi only.)

If it's just not in your budget, Amazon's Fire tablets define bang for the buck with two models for under $50; you'll note you get the lower price if you get the "with Special Offers" version, this just means the home screen when you first turn the tablet on will be an advertisement, everything else about it is exactly the same as the more expensive model. If you want the sweet spot of budget and performance, I'd recommend the $50 HD 8 model (or an HD 8 with more storage as your budget allows) which I've found has the most consistent performance of all the Fire tablets and can happily flip through browser tabs and Netflix content all day without issue. Be aware that the Fire tablets have their own app ecosystem, so you can't get Google Play/generic Android apps unless they happen to be featured on the Fire's app store.

Flashaholic*

What are you listening to?
    My music is very diverse, from early rock & roll, to all the greats from the Ď60ís, Ď70ís and very early blues to smooth jazz, (what used to be called ďjazz fusionĒ), to classical and even some country. My wife was born and raised in Iowa and loves country but Iím mostly limited to Hank Williams SR. and Patsy Cline as I have every recording they ever made. Actually, I love all music and the ONLY music I WONíT listen to is rap/hip-hop or some of those ďGlamĒ heavy metal groups or whatever theyíre called from the Ď80ís, Ď90ís and beyond.

The current, standard iPad is at record low pricing right now, only $250; I would strongly recommend one of these if you want the best experience (bearing in mind it doesn't have a lot of space and won't connect to your cell network/is wi-fi only.)

If it's just not in your budget, Amazon's Fire tablets define bang for the buck with two models for under $50; you'll note you get the lower price if you get the "with Special Offers" version, this just means the home screen when you first turn the tablet on will be an advertisement, everything else about it is exactly the same as the more expensive model. If you want the sweet spot of budget and performance, I'd recommend the $50 HD 8 model (or an HD 8 with more storage as your budget allows) which I've found has the most consistent performance of all the Fire tablets and can happily flip through browser tabs and Netflix content all day without issue. Be aware that the Fire tablets have their own app ecosystem, so you can't get Google Play/generic Android apps unless they happen to be featured on the Fire's app store.
    Thatís good advice. Most tech experts however say iPads, tablets and even home PCís are on their way out. I started with the 1st. Gen. iPad Mini because at the time, it was the size I liked and iOS was fairly easy to adapt to for a non-techie like me and I could have cared less about phone connectivity. I still donít! My iPad Mini 4 will do anything the latest iPhone can do except make phone calls and thatís fine with me!

Iím mostly limited to Hank Williams SR. and Patsy Cline as I have every recording they ever made.
    I'm showing 22 Patsy Cline albums plus 5 compilations, 23 Hank Williams Sr albums and another 5 compilations; I can also "radio" either artist and get a nonstop/infinitely long playlist of that artist mixed in with similar artists, the Patsy radio for example includes a lot of Waylon, Merle, Marty Robbins, etc. This uses no space on the device, does not involve files or transfers, I just open the app, search what I want, and it's there, play anything in any order for any length on my whim. Sometimes a little techie isn't so bad

Flashaholic*

I totally agree with you SH but some of us are not techies like you and to me, thatís too complicated! Very cool though.

I like that I could transfer all my Hank and Patsy albums to my iPad Mini from my extensive CD collection, (and so many more), and my iPad puts all the songs in my music where I can find them in alphabetical order and even though I have tons of music stored here, my iPad Mini 4 stiil has tons more storage!

Not as much storage as you young guys need nowadays but plenty for me. I like that itís simple even for an old guy like me and thatís why I love iOS!

thatís too complicated!
    It's an app. The icon was on my home screen, I clicked it - there's all the music. That's it.

There was no physical copy of the music to source and purchase, or CD-ROM drive, or files/file management, or cables, or disk space usage.

My iPhone is currently using 31.4 GB of 256 GB; the apps take the most space.

But you have to be able to visualize this for yourself before it makes any sense It ain't the land of milk and honey if you don't drink..

Edit: Quote from over on the camera forum: "iPhones are for 18-40 year olds and true cameras are for us baby boomers."
    Last edited by StarHalo; 03-23-2019 at 09:48 PM.

I'm just using a cheap android phone that came with 32Gb of memory and I added a 200Gb sd card. I put 47Gb of music and have downloaded over 80 HD movies also to it.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

I am trying to digest your post SH. So if I don't have wifi at home, I wouldn't want to buy an iPad Mini like Gene has?

Looking at those amazon fire tablets, I am on my first free month of netflix, and so far I plan on keeping it. I don't know what google play / generic android apps are. Can I open a browser on them and surf the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    I'm just using a cheap android phone that came with 32Gb of memory and I added a 200Gb sd card. I put 47Gb of music and have downloaded over 80 HD movies also to it.
    Install Spotify and Prime Video, now you have 150TB of music and over 1000 HD movies, and you don't need the card.

I am trying to digest your post SH. So if I don't have wifi at home, I wouldn't want to buy an iPad Mini like Gene has?
    A tablet is a computer, it needs some way to get onto the internet. If you don't want to sit in one place to connect an ethernet cable through an extra adapter to the tablet's port (which only works with the iPad, not the Fire tablet,) then you'll need a wifi source. Since you're typing here, then you have an internet access provider, so if you don't yet have wifi you just need a wifi router from your provider.

Also, if your phone has data service and hotspot capability, your tablet can connect to the internet through your phone's data connection. This is a good solution for when you're on the road, in some location that isn't already providing free wifi.

Looking at those amazon fire tablets, I am on my first free month of netflix, and so far I plan on keeping it.
    Netflix has a good mix of content, but I like Prime Video better for movies [where your Prime subscription gets you ~1,000 free movies/TV episodes and there's also a selection of recent movies to rent, new movie rental night all over again!] and Hulu better for TV programs.

I don't know what google play / generic android apps are. Can I open a browser on them and surf the internet?
    That just means that if someone recommends an obscure Android app to you, it may or may not be available because the Fire tablet runs its own unique kind of Android. Most everything that's popular is universally available for all tablets by now though.
    Last edited by StarHalo; Yesterday at 10:24 AM.

Install Spotify and Prime Video, now you have 150TB of music and over 1000 HD movies, and you don't need the card.
    Most cell services block HD video streaming unless you upgrade to their top tier plans with unlimited data and most internet music apps give you commercials. Being in a bad location with no cell service neuters both services. With the average HD movie taking 800mb to 1T in size a limited data plan would have you only able to watch a few videos away from wifi access in a month before your data plan conks out. For the extra $10-$15 a month it costs me for unlimited HD streaming data plan I could buy an even bigger SD card in a year and download and fill it up via wifi.
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

You download when on wifi, I do this at airports - find a movie/some TV programs you want before the flight, download with their wifi, good to go. You shouldn't be moving anything of size over the cell data connection.

Flashaholic*

I'm showing 22 Patsy Cline albums plus 5 compilations, 23 Hank Williams Sr albums and another 5 compilations; I can also "radio" either artist and get a nonstop/infinitely long playlist of that artist mixed in with similar artists, the Patsy radio for example includes a lot of Waylon, Merle, Marty Robbins, etc. This uses no space on the device, does not involve files or transfers, I just open the app, search what I want, and it's there, play anything in any order for any length on my whim. Sometimes a little techie isn't so bad
    Okay, now I see what you mean and again, thatís very cool! Technology IS great! I was originally talking about making custom playlists of my favorite music where I can load them into my micro SD cards and play them in my mini PR12 and my other radio/MP3 players and also BT speakers with what I want to hear and take them out with me when Iím working on our cars or weíre just sitting out front BBQing.

We live in a small cabin of 750-800 sq. ft. and are lucky in that we have a optic cable internet connection provider. Our IP wanted an extra $5.99 a month for a WiFi router but I bought a cheap WiFi router on Ebay and it works great.

All my radio/MP3 players and BT speakers do not have random or shuffle play even though Anna now has one that does but I have an abundance of ones that donít so I donít want to spend any more money on any more players.

We have an old LG CD home stereo with BT capability and I play our music through it with my iPad Mini. We also have an old 42Ē Sceptre TV and we have Amazon Prime that we play through it with an Amazon Fire Stick, (and luckily our TV was modern enough where I could hook it up!), that I picked up brand new on a forum for $10.00 and it works great.

And all this from a guy who has an Android phone but NEVER uses it! Just had to say, this is my favorite thread of all time on all the forums I frequent. Iíve learned a lot here and have spent boo-koo bucks because of it! Thanks Bill! 😏😄

Okay, now I see what you mean and again, thatís very cool! Technology IS great! I was originally talking about making custom playlists of my favorite music where I can load them into my micro SD cards and play them in my mini PR12 and my other radio/MP3 players and also BT speakers with what I want to hear and take them out with me when Iím working on our cars or weíre just sitting out front BBQing.
    This of course allows you to create playlists, it also shares them so if you want someone else to check out a playlist you made, they just have to search the title of it. This also means you can view others' playlists, not just listeners and critics but the artists themselves - Kacey Musgraves, Taylor Swift, The Black Keys, many other artists have their own playlists if you want to hear what they're listening to.

Anything and everything is downloadable, so if you have your playlist or some albums you'd like to listen to sans internet connection, it's one click to auto-download any list or album. Now even with the device in airplane mode, everything you downloaded still plays normally.

Shuffle is part of the play interface, so anything can be shuffled and/or repeated at any time. The "radio" lists are limitless, so if I hit play on that Patsy Cline radio, it will continue loading more songs in background nonstop eternally, great for when you just want to leave the music going for hours.

The service also notes what you like to listen to and auto-creates Daily Mix playlists for you, which will have a few songs you have played mixed in with a lot of tracks from that genre you haven't played/might not be aware of. There's also the Discover Weekly playlist which is just songs from your preferred genres that you've never played before, so you can be introduced to/reminded of similar music. A quick and easy way to find hidden gems like this guy..

A tablet is a computer, it needs some way to get onto the internet. If you don't want to sit in one place to connect an ethernet cable through an extra adapter to the tablet's port (which only works with the iPad, not the Fire tablet,) then you'll need a wifi source. Since you're typing here, then you have an internet access provider, so if you don't yet have wifi you just need a wifi router from your provider.

Also, if your phone has data service and hotspot capability, your tablet can connect to the internet through your phone's data connection. This is a good solution for when you're on the road, in some location that isn't already providing free wifi.
    Does the fire tablet come with internet? Their (amazon) kindles do - you can connect without your internet service provider's wifi / internet.

You download when on wifi, I do this at airports - find a movie/some TV programs you want before the flight, download with their wifi, good to go. You shouldn't be moving anything of size over the cell data connection.
    Then there is not much advantage as I've already downloaded movies I want on a private wifi network no worries about being hacked on public wifi.

Does the fire tablet come with internet? Their (amazon) kindles do - you can connect without your internet service provider's wifi / internet.
    No, the Kindle readers use their own cell phone data connection because they're only occasionally moving tiny packets of information (book text), Fire tablets are complete computers with browser, gaming, and HD movie playback capability, it needs more than occasional bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    Then there is not much advantage as I've already downloaded movies I want on a private wifi network no worries about being hacked on public wifi.
    The idea is that you can get what you want on a whim; rather than being stuck with the card that has the same content on it from however long ago, if you feel like listening to/watching x, it's there.

Public wifi is fine so long as you're not inputting secure information. Even if your connection were completely exposed, an uninvited viewer would only be able to see you using the app; since the app was already logged in to that device, there is no e-mail/password/personal data transferred or visible. The risk is with tasks like signing in to check your bank account - do that later.

Please stop the this open discussion re Amazon's products. Give SH a PM for further info re these products. He is an Amazon employee.

Bill

Page 102 of 102 FirstFirst ... 252929596979899100101102