Imalent        
Page 115 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1565105108109110111112113114115116117 LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,450 of 3486

Thread: Small Portable Radio's?

Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

It's one current way radio content is consumed; if we had a thread about phones, it would mostly be about cell phones, not land line phones. The speakers above are small and portable, and will easily overshadow any traditional boombox in both quality and ease of use.

The Amazon Echo Studio review, both singularly, in pair, and a brief mention with subwoofer. Each Costco-coffee-can-sized cylinder has five speakers, seven microphones, automatic DSP room correction, and of course full Alexa capability to autonomously play your radio station/music collection/etc without being physically connected to anything [aside from AC power.] Zeos is reviewing, so audio NSFW:

And it's not a shill, my large Bluetooth speaker recommendation is still the Aiwa EXOS-9, but this is obviously a different kind of speaker feature-wise.

Flashaholic*

Anymore good radio stuff out there? Hope everyoneís doing okay. Everythingís pretty normal up here but most are staying in. We even can buy toilet paper here!

Okay Bill, Iím not trying to turn this into a virus thread just asking. Weíre a family here in this thread. 😄

Iíve been enjoying revisiting my radio collection. Sold my mint condition GE Super Radio III on Ebay a little while back for a staggering price which surprised me. Also sold a Sangean SR-3 Iíve had for years for $90.00!

Again, hope everyoneís doing fine. Anything new out there SH!

I'm still a working man, so it's just listening to the world through the big Bluetooth speakers every weekend as always.

The fun thing about radio stations is getting reports from elsewhere though; right after our earthquake last night, I tuned in to KFI/the local live news station to see if they felt anything - because of the quarantine, everyone who is on the air at one time there is in a different location, so while the show host in Burbank didn't feel anything, the news girl in Orange County did. That told me instantly, before the USGS could even report it, that this quake wasn't too large and/or near (a 4.9 ~70 mi. SE of me near the Salton Sea.)

Flashaholic*

During this coronavirus nightmare I have been pretty much sheltering in place or as they say in New Zealand staying in my bubble. The only good coming from the situation is at least there is some time to play and listen to some radios. Iím curious if anyone else has increased their radio listening and which radio you are listening to the most. I myself have been switching between the CCRadio-2E and the Sangean HDR-16. Nothing like some classic rock to help pass the days and some talk radio to find out what is happening locally.

I've definitely been listening more to the radio lately. That's partly because I recently picked up two new ones, like I really needed more. Found some Walmart gift cards I'd forgotten about and started shopping. Was pleased to find the Tecsun PL-360 and the Kaito KA-200 were available. I'd always thought they looked interesting and seemed to get good reviews. I wasn't disappointed. I've probably used that tiny Kaito more than the Tecsun since the purchase. Overall, though, I guess I still listen to the old Skywave and the Sangean CL-100 more than any others.

Geoff

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Turtle View Post
    I guess I still listen to the old Skywave and the Sangean CL-100 more than any others

I bought the Sangean CL-100 back in 2012 and believe it to be one of the finest weather radios available today. I use the radio mainly as an alarm clock and weather alerts but the sound quality is excellent so I will occasionally listen to broadcast as well. I posted a review of the CL-100 in this thread back in 2/17/2015.

Sangean CL-100 review (Post # 1436)

Hope everybody in the South/East has their CL-100 on today..

Flashaholic*

Hey, just wondering and since this is one of the best threads on the net and most of us are still in self exile, I was pondering a question that is not exactly radio related but sort of.

I was wondering if any of you have satellite TV? I know some of you here know I live rural and cannot receive free TV signals unless I install an outside antenna that is at least 14 feet tall to defeat these tall mountains here..

My brother who is a retired railroad worker here, gifted me a couple of years ago with a satellite dish installed on my roof and a free subscription to Dish network. Dish was fun at first but turned into nothing more than tons of commercials!

I know about streaming and my wife and I are streaming more programming.

I was just wondering if any of you have satellite TV Dish and what do you think? Also, when did commercials come into play with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    I was just wondering if any of you have satellite TV Dish and what do you think? Also, when did commercials come into play with them?
    Our house was streaming-only up until about five years ago, then we got satellite; modern satellite TV (the little oval rooftop dish, not the 80's-era yard monster C-band radio telescope) is just a copy of cable, there's not really any difference in what the two provide, same channels, same commercials. As with cable, you can buy packages that have the commercial-free movie channels. Just my observation, but satellite usually charges more/requires you to add a package to get ESPN, whereas cable usually has it in their basic plan.

One major technological note about both cable and current satellite is that they now include both a DVR and On Demand content - this is a game changer as far as entertainment options go, because it means you don't have to be present at any particular time to see what you want, you can either record it whenever it airs right there on your cable/satellite box or search for the full copy of it as you would with streaming.

The only technical issue of note is that having a big storm in your area can block the signal and leave you temporarily without service. Here in Cali, there's one or two times a year where for a few minutes you lose the connection, it's much worse in storm-prone areas.

Streaming-only is still the way to go for minimum price and no commercials, but all the programming is not recent and you're limited to what the particular streaming service offers. Satellite costs a lot more but provides a lot more, live programming is live and each channel is its own On Demand streaming service.

Flashaholic*

You are a trip SH and I love Ďya! Yes, I have the tiny dish on top of my roof. My brother had one of those giant satellite dishes planted in his backyard all those years ago and could get hundreds if not thousands of channels from all over the country. He could from inside his house turn that giant thing with a remote to get the most channels whatever the weather. It was amazing for itís time!

It was fascinating as when a channel went to commercials, the signal stayed on the channel between commercials and the announcers would yell at the cameraman or the director or whomever to do this or that. I remember one time we were watching a news report and Dan Rather was the news reporter. The station went to commercial but the satellite signal stayed on Dan Rather and he went into a explicit foul language tirade belittling his cohorts that they werenít making him more presentable! Imagine that!

Yes SH, you can buy anything nowadays but the key word here is ďbuy, buy, buyĒ. Are any of you old enough to remember when cable TV first came into fruition? Itís selling point was ďcommercial freeĒ. You could travel down a popular street and motels and hotels had blazing neon signs advertising ďcommercial freeĒ TV! What a godsend!

I subscribed to HBO in itís early years well over 35 years ago because it promised commercial free TV. It was $30.00 a month way back then which was expensive but I was willing to do it to get away from excessive commercials. It was a bust to me because they only broadcasted the same 15 or 20 commercial free old movies over and over. I cancelled it after two months.

Living up here in excessive snow and rain country, my satellite signal goes away occasionally and sometimes for a long while. Being that my brother pays for this and I have no say in what he gets with this Dish TV, of course Iíll keep it. Itís his choice to pay for the extras you mentioned SH but I doubt it as heís old school like me.

Itís just amazing that if even if you donít sign on for all the pay for extras for satellite TV, they have it coming and going! You pay for it to begin with and then they get paid again to broadcast long blocks of paid commercials!

We have Amazon Prime and my wife just subscribed to Netflix a couple of months ago. They are pretty cool. Lots of programming without commercials.

If I had my choice, you could take this satellite crap with boxes that cost extra that skip commercials or whatever and cost extra. Iím warming up more and more to streaming.

Hey, one thing I can say about us radio lovers is yes, we have long blocks of commercials BUT we donít have to pay for them...yet!

I subscribed to HBO in itís early years well over 35 years ago because it promised commercial free TV. It was $30.00 a month way back then which was expensive but I was willing to do it to get away from excessive commercials. It was a bust to me because they only broadcasted the same 15 or 20 commercial free old movies over and over. I cancelled it after two months.
    I remember my [retired] grandparents had HBO back in that day, watching 1941, Tron, Not Necessarily The News, etc, it was mesmerizing. Then as a teen I figured out that depending on what kind of coaxial cable you used, you could partially unscramble Cinemax and be mesmerized by some movies we won't mention here..

If you're in it for the new movies with no commercials, one option you might consider is renting movies off of your Amazon Prime Video; it's basically the online version of Blockbuster, a few bucks gets you a 24 hours watched/30 days unwatched rental for a flick that was in theaters recently. If you're only watching one a week, or more of less recent movies, that can be cheaper than premium movie channels..

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

Yes, I remember seeing a Demo. of cable TV at Disneyland in 1970, and it promised no commercials. Well, that did not last long. After streaming, I can never go back to cable, Sat. or broadcast. I hate commercials. And, the internet has never, not once, gave me an Ad. that for anything I wanted or would ever buy, not once, never!
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Just my experience, but the DVR essentially cancels out any commercials for me; about 99% of TV that I watch was recorded earlier, so I can just fast forward through the commercials. I don't know about other services, but DirecTV has a rewind live feature - when you change the channel midway though a broadcast, it will say "Press rewind to watch show from beginning," so you can see live TV with a ~few minutes delay, and can fast forward through the commercials. I get home from work midway through the news and can watch it fresh from the start with no commercials that way.

DVRs are wonderful for sure I have one that has a digital tuner for over the air recording and for every 3 hours you record you can skip an hour of commercials with it. I've probably gotten back months of time that I would have been watching commercials.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Flashaholic*

Boy, the wonderful world of the internet! Just as I write a response to this thread, CPF goes down for a moment and erases my response.

Boy, the wonderful world of the internet! Just as I write a response to this thread, CPF goes down for a moment and erases my response.
    They just want you to get your typing practice in, no worries..

I've got three of my portables at a certain room (I'm doing good when I make it there at least once a day!) where there are no sliding glass doors or windows - DT-400W, DT-800, and the CC Pocket. I always check the San Francisco AM 740 reception (around 429 miles away to the west) and listen for a minute or two. The CC Pocket has the best spoken word sound out of the three. Reception is good on all of them, but the CC Pocket's AM band filter keeps the static to a minimum resulting in a better experience.

Quote Originally Posted by 5S8Zh5 View Post
    I've got three of my portables at a certain room (I'm doing good when I make it there at least once a day!) where there are no sliding glass doors or windows
    Doors or windows don't make any difference to AM reception [in a wooden residential house], sources of RF noise will almost always be the biggest issue; you'll find the best AM reception spot in most houses is in a corner of the structure that doesn't have any utilities [cable box, power meter, etc] in/near it.

A modestly-sized tabletop Bluetooth speaker in the same vein as a Tivoli or Bose radio, but no cords, and the ability to be loud enough for the entire living room or backyard patio as needed; $200. Z is reviewing, audio NSFW:

Edit added by Greta: WARNING!! VIDEO CONTAINS STRONG LANGUAGE! IF YOU DON'T WANT TO EXPOSE YOURSELF OR ANYONE IN YOUR SPACE TO SUCH WORDS, DO NOT CLICK ON THE VIDEO!

Last edited by Greta; 04-20-2020 at 12:40 PM.

As much as I'm impressed with many bluetooth speakers performance I often find them very pricey. When you can get a surround sound receiver sometimes with bluetooth and speakers for about the same price or cheaper it is hard to want to pay in excess of $100 for a small bluetooth speaker that often doesn't even have a radio built into it. I have a soundcore mini (actually 2 of them) that has FM radio but it is not easy to use if you only listen to one station not a big deal but switching from station to station without any idea of the frequency or location on a dial you almost need a second radio to "hear" the programming to find the station by ascertaining if it is the one by programming played. I once spend 10 minutes trying to find the station I wanted to listen to as I couldn't figure out which one it was for all the commercials being played almost simultaneously across all the stations and then talking between songs and such didn't help either at the time.It took turning on a second radio with a digital tuner and listening to the program to find it. If you could incorporate a digital display in a bluetooth speaker while keeping it waterproof so you can take it anywhere as I often use mine in the bathroom switching songs with my wet fingers on buttons. I think I would rather have a stereo table radio with bluetooth than a bluetooth table speaker without radio or with an afterthought radio on it. In an outage I would just grab my old Penncraft (JC Penny brand) table radio that has ancient leaky C cell alkaleaks in it over 20 years old now and go with it on talk radio than streaming internet from my smart phone to a bluetooth speaker. Even with the more powerful lithium rechargeables the combination of smart phone and bluetooth speaker to have radio doesn't equate for long term runtime as few speakers can run for days and days without charging and phones either while a analog table radio can run off alkaleaks for days and days not even breaking a sweat.
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    When you can get a surround sound receiver sometimes with bluetooth and speakers for about the same price or cheaper it is hard to want to pay in excess of $100 for a small bluetooth speaker that often doesn't even have a radio built into it.
    That's the idea - you are already carrying an extremely capable supercomputer in the form of a smartphone on your person, just use that as the display and control interface as opposed to having to move yourself to a device to look at the tiny amount of info a radio display would provide; the phone will often display the station ID and logo, host name and photo, program title and runtime etc. et al. ad inf. No reception/interference issues, no limitation of source material or location restrictions, it's anything you want anytime you want.

Nothing beats the runtime of an analog radio on alkalines, it's required household emergency equipment. But you'll find that during a prolonged outage, there's only so much news to take in over a period of time, you eventually have long lulls where everything's in place and there's nothing more to learn at this time; rather than just leaving the repetitious news on endlessly, you eventually have to do something about morale. If you're studious enough to know all the area stations and their schedules, you can of course just tune to something else, but a device that will play anything from anywhere makes more sense here.

And of course the Bluetooth speaker shines for daily casual use, now the bathroom has a sound system, now there's background music for dinner, now the barbecue has party music, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    That's the idea - you are already carrying an extremely capable supercomputer in the form of a smartphone on your person, just use that as the display and control interface as opposed to having to move yourself to a device to look at the tiny amount of info a radio display would provide; the phone will often display the station ID and logo, host name and photo, program title and runtime etc. et al. ad inf. No reception/interference issues, no limitation of source material or location restrictions, it's anything you want anytime you want.

Nothing beats the runtime of an analog radio on alkalines, it's required household emergency equipment. But you'll find that during a prolonged outage, there's only so much news to take in over a period of time, you eventually have long lulls where everything's in place and there's nothing more to learn at this time; rather than just leaving the repetitious news on endlessly, you eventually have to do something about morale. If you're studious enough to know all the area stations and their schedules, you can of course just tune to something else, but a device that will play anything from anywhere makes more sense here.

And of course the Bluetooth speaker shines for daily casual use, now the bathroom has a sound system, now there's background music for dinner, now the barbecue has party music, etc.
    As you said... runtime on alkaleaks is king in an outage My old Penncraft radio has 25 year old 4C alkaleaks in it that still have plenty of power as I only use it in power outages which have become rather rare since 2007.
    IMO these days a radio that supports bluetooth is the thing. If you can pair it with your bluetooth speaker you have a modern day boombox.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    IMO these days a radio that supports bluetooth is the thing. If you can pair it with your bluetooth speaker you have a modern day boombox.
    The smartphone is the radio, it has better reception than is physically possible with broadcast radio and the playback quality and frequency response is often HD, if not CD, level. It's not limited to what's in your area or what time you're listening. It's the news, it's an audiobook, it's a podcast, it's a TV show, anything you want..

Streaming tv is not less expensive than cable tv, for me. The only reason Iím not streaming tv yet is that Comcast, which has a legal monopoly on Cable tv and internet service in my area, is allowing me to maintain my outdated television and internet package that includes very basic cable television - but all I need. The television package includes HBO, because it was part of the package at the time I first bought it.

The total price of the package is no more than the cost of buying my internet service alone from Comcast and streaming my tv from Sling. If I cancelled my cable tv service, my internet service price would increase substantially. So, my costs now are no more than what Iíd pay if I streamed my tv. Obviously, as soon as thereís a substantial price jump with Comcast, or they force me to give up my current tv package, Iíll start streaming my tv.

Incidentally, Iíve been enjoying the opportunity to work at home and occasionally listen to the radio as I work - I donít have any radio reception in my office at work. Iíve been listening mainly to my PL-880, but when I hear a F-16 or two from Joint Base Andrews nearby, Iíll turn on the IC-R6. They send them up often to investigate unknown radar returns, which almost always turn out to be UAVís being operated irresponsibly close to the Beltway or the Base.
    "However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -- Stanley Kubrick

Quote Originally Posted by mightysparrow View Post
    So, my costs now are no more than what Iíd pay if I streamed my tv.
    Do you have Amazon Prime?

I joined Prime about a month ago, because they advertised that Prime membership includes free two-day grocery delivery through Amazon Fresh and Whole Foods. I live in an area with no delivery times available through all the other delivery services, and I have a very limited diet by necessity. I thought I could get a few staples I canít find in stores. I will be dropping my membership, though, because Amazon is not allowing me to order through Fresh or Whole Foods. Calls to customer service were useless.
    "However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -- Stanley Kubrick

I joined Prime about a month ago
    Your Prime subscription includes the Prime Video streaming service - any device you currently own with the Prime Video app installed has thousands of movies and shows available to you right now. That includes any smart TV running the app, or for older TVs, add a ~$40 USB Fire Stick to add your service to any TV.

I joined Prime about a month ago, because they advertised that Prime membership includes free two-day grocery delivery through Amazon Fresh and Whole Foods. I live in an area with no delivery times available through all the other delivery services, and I have a very limited diet by necessity. I thought I could get a few staples I canít find in stores. I will be dropping my membership, though, because Amazon is not allowing me to order through Fresh or Whole Foods. Calls to customer service were useless.
    Your Prime subscription includes the Prime Video streaming service - any device you currently own with the Prime Video app installed has thousands of movies and shows available to you right now. That includes any smart TV running the app, or for older TVs, add a ~$40 USB Fire Stick to add your service to any TV.
    Let's move on from the discussion of Amazon.

@StarHalo you have been asked before not to promote business with which you are associated here on CPF.

Please review Rule 6, thanks.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Speaking of radio with a good display, Questlove of The Roots has been doing a livestreamed DJ set every night for over a week now (he did five nights of nonstop Prince mixes and archives with history and commentary, magnificent.) His video feed actually shows the full interface for his mixing deck, so you can not only see the title of what's playing, but the title of the next song, waveforms, BPM, crossfade, etc. Quite a new level of broadcasting.

Page 115 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1565105108109110111112113114115116117 LastLast