Imalent        
Page 110 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1060100103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117 LastLast
Results 3,271 to 3,300 of 3492

Thread: Small Portable Radio's?

  1. #3271
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,933

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
    You were 100% correct. That's exactly how it happened. The radio showed the NiMH batteries as full the last time I checked it, and then suddenly it went dead.
    Been doing this with my trusty bedside alarm clock for 12+ years, the Sony ICF-SW7600GR, which also does not have a NiMH setting; the workaround is to have a second set of rechargeable cells set aside that are specifically for that radio - swap in this set when the first dies so you're always ready to go.

  2. #3272

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    Been doing this with my trusty bedside alarm clock for 12+ years, the Sony ICF-SW7600GR, which also does not have a NiMH setting; the workaround is to have a second set of rechargeable cells set aside that are specifically for that radio - swap in this set when the first dies so you're always ready to go.
    Nimh batteries work that way in a lot of devices. I have devices that give me low battery warnings using nimh when they have only been in them for a few weeks. The best thing to do is a reminder note when the batteries were last replaced/charged figuring out when they would need to be recharged and a note would even be better. Older electronic devices can be rather intolerant to the slightly lower voltage of nimh in use making it so that even though the capacity is a little lower the runtime ends up being substantially less than expected as when the voltage of the nimh drop to below about 1.3v or so you end up with low warnings and performance issues and LCD displays dimming even. I've wondered if there is a very efficient low current buck circuit such that you could replace batteries with lithium ion and end up with similar runtime per watt hours taking advantage of rechargeable tech and sidestepping expensive lithium primaries and leakalines.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

  3. #3273

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Unlike my Field BT, I've noticed that my Tecsun PL-380's battery display seems to show the correct battery level as the NiMH batteries deplete.

  4. #3274
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,933

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    The Schaub-Lorenz 5001 home AM/FM/SW/LW receiver with internal recorder featuring 46 hours of recording time, from 1965:


  5. #3275

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

  6. #3276

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Sometimes you just want to grab the handle and wax the car or something to some tunes; great sound, 4 AA.


  7. #3277

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    I just saw this. Hilarious!

  8. #3278

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nimitz68 View Post
    I just saw this. Hilarious!
    The knife is kinda weird, but yeah, other than that I also thought it was hilarious.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

  9. #3279
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,933

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by 5S8Zh5 View Post
    Sometimes you just want to grab the handle and wax the car or something to some tunes; great sound, 4 AA.
    This is my current recommendation for budget emergency or senior/non-radio person radio; the larger format semi-tabletop top-handle models like these typically skyrocket in price soon after release, hard to believe this is still under $30. If you need a radio for this application, buy immediately, before the price change..

    Other news, Universal is expecting the return of the Eton E1/Sattelit in the last quarter of this year.

  10. #3280
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Dunsmuir, Ca.
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    This is my current recommendation for budget emergency or senior/non-radio person radio; the larger format semi-tabletop top-handle models like these typically skyrocket in price soon after release...
    Hey, watch out about the cracks of ďsenior/non radio personĒ stuff SH! Why do these semi-tabletop, top-handle radios skyrocket in price soon after their release? Is it because thereís lots of us seniors still out here buying radios who are too weak to carry radios without a handle?

  11. #3281
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,933

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    Hey, watch out about the cracks of ďsenior/non radio personĒ stuff SH! Why do these semi-tabletop, top-handle radios skyrocket in price soon after their release? Is it because thereís lots of us seniors still out here buying radios who are too weak to carry radios without a handle?
    You're a radio guy, that's different; there's essentially always just one model of radio that is a straightforward tabletop-ish extra-batteries unit that anyone can understand under $50, that model climbs over $50 and then another model is introduced. Last time it was the Sony ICF-F10, which was originally $20 when it was introduced, now it's $70.

  12. #3282

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Inflation at it's finest.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

  13. #3283
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,933

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Well you know if it's the vintage hardware guy's holy grail receiver, it's gonna be intense..


  14. #3284

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    ^ that was good.

  15. #3285
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Dunsmuir, Ca.
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    Forgot to mention I broke down and ordered one of these today for $35.22 on Ebay. Iím such a sucker for tiny sets, especially when they offer so much. 🤪 Iíll report back when I receive it.
    Well, this thing finally arrived after getting lost in the mail for 2 weeks. Itís a really neat little guy but alas and like always, I canít receive hardly anything here buried in a deep valley in the mountains. I can receive some SW bands and some VHF but no aircraft or of course CB. CB seems to have completely disappeared as I do live close enough to the I-5 where hundreds if not thousands of long haul truckers pass.

    As todderbert reported, this thing is stellar in receiving in receiving AM and FM signals! In fact, itís one of the best radios I have in that respect.

    All in all, if you live in a urban area and like to experiment with tiny feature packed radios, you need to give this thing a try.

  16. #3286
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Dunsmuir, Ca.
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Hey, SH or others in the know, I just recently received a couple of emails from CCrane about their internet devoted radios. Iíve always wondered about them.

    Excuse my ignorance but why would someone purchase an additional internet radio when their smart phones or as an example, my iPad Mini 4, can download just about any music, radio stations, podcasts or whatever?

    Is it because itís convenient to have a single devoted device for internet that provides great sound and you can tune in stations with the turn of a dial?

    I donít own a smart phone but as you know, with my iPad if I want superior sound, I just use an external BT speaker. Iím wondering what the draw is with an internet radio over what we have now?

    These things seem to have been around for quite awhile now and if I remember even predate smartphones. Again, just wondering why they are still viable and even why they still exist?

    Please enlighten me!

  17. #3287
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,933

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    CB seems to have completely disappeared as I do live close enough to the I-5 where hundreds if not thousands of long haul truckers pass.
    Leave it tuned to 27.185 for some stretch of time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    with my iPad if I want superior sound, I just use an external BT speaker. Iím wondering what the draw is with an internet radio over what we have now?
    Standalone internet radios are for non-technical people, the device + Bluetooth speaker combo is a much better deal all around, especially if your speaker(s) is good. TuneIn and IHeartRadio cover most everything for free, then you also have the stations' websites free streaming, then there's also the free podcasts, etc.

  18. #3288

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Lots of my favorite stations (classical, oldies, jazz & more) have internet streaming of their content. You can always search for your local stations and their website may be linked. Even world-wide searching / tuning in is a big plus imho - internet dx'ng. There was this web site that came up with an Earth graphic and you could scroll around the planet and find stations on remote islands, other countries - I lost that link, but maybe someone here has it?
    Last edited by 5S8Zh5; 07-20-2019 at 02:24 AM.

  19. #3289
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Dunsmuir, Ca.
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    Leave it tuned to 27.185 for some stretch of time.



    Standalone internet radios are for non-technical people, the device + Bluetooth speaker combo is a much better deal all around, especially if your speaker(s) is good. TuneIn and IHeartRadio cover most everything for free, then you also have the stations' websites free streaming, then there's also the free podcasts, etc.
    Thanks SH, (and the tip on the CB address), and to think I thought I am the most non-technical person anywhere!

    Quote Originally Posted by 5S8Zh5 View Post
    Lots of my favorite stations (classical, oldies, jazz & more) have internet streaming of their content. You can always search for your local stations and their website may be linked. Even world-wide searching / tuning in is a big plus imho - internet dx'ng. There was this web site that came up with an Earth graphic and you could scroll around the planet and find stations on remote islands, other countries - I lost that link, but maybe someone here has it?
    Thanks also for that Don. Iíll look into that.

  20. #3290

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by 5S8Zh5 View Post
    ...There was this web site that came up with an Earth graphic and you could scroll around the planet and find stations on remote islands, other countries - I lost that link, but maybe someone here has it?
    found it!

    radio garden


  21. #3291
    Flashaholic* wacbzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    North of the South
    Posts
    1,380

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by 5S8Zh5 View Post
    found it!

    radio garden

    this is an awesome site! Thanks for posting it.

  22. #3292
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,933

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    2019 Vintage Electronics Expo, Kalamazoo, Michigan - as if the entirety of eBay's vintage radio selection (and the guys who deal/hoard it) were in one place:


  23. #3293
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Dunsmuir, Ca.
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Very cool video SH! I saw many components that I had back in the day in that video. Way back in this thread, I said my dad made his living repairing all these great old radios, TVís and electronics.

    The designs in the 30ís, 40ís, 50ís and even the Ď60ís were works of art! Even though the technology was prehistoric compared to today, the build quality and materials used at the time, were state of the art and especially the build quality will never again be equaled.

    My dad had an affinity for the cathedral radios, (and so did I!), as way back then they used the most exotic woods in building them. He restored many of them and I helped with a few but he rebuilt the internals and I helped with the externals.

    Thanks again for the video and the walk down memory lane!

  24. #3294
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,933

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    Very cool video SH! I saw many components that I had back in the day in that video. Way back in this thread, I said my dad made his living repairing all these great old radios, TVís and electronics.
    I'm surprised it's not a bigger hobby looking at everything they have there; somebody who really knows what they're doing could piece together a whole lineup of radios and then turn around and sell them at the same expo, seems like a missed opportunity.

    And good lord the condition of that Grundig at 42:58, that's a museum piece..

  25. #3295
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Dunsmuir, Ca.
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    I'm surprised it's not a bigger hobby looking at everything they have there; somebody who really knows what they're doing could piece together a whole lineup of radios and then turn around and sell them at the same expo, seems like a missed opportunity.

    And good lord the condition of that Grundig at 42:58, that's a museum piece..
    This is why I like you SH! You will bring up such interesting stuff like this but reprimand some of us that still like CDís and USB cards or whatever you call them as they are so ďold schoolĒ as one can do everything with their cell phones.

    Again and I donít mean to beat an old horse, there are plenty of us that donít rely on cell phones for everything or even have one!

    Itís interesting that you bring up ďsomebodyĒ who knows about what theyíre doing could piece together a whole lineup of these and sell them at this expo? Who might that ďsomebodyĒ be SH? Especially in this world where SD cards and CDís are now ďold schoolĒ? 😁

    Iím so glad that these people are restoring these works of art and they appeal to some folks like you. We can only hope that your generation will carry on and restore these classics.

    You really are an asset here SH and I LOVE the stuff you come up with!

  26. #3296
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,933

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    Again and I donít mean to beat an old horse, there are plenty of us that donít rely on cell phones for everything or even have one!
    So if you had a restored grand living room family radio, how often would you use it versus your iPad + Bluetooth speaker combo?

  27. #3297
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Dunsmuir, Ca.
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    So if you had a restored grand living room family radio, how often would you use it versus your iPad + Bluetooth speaker combo?
    Well, if I lived in places like you guys do in the big cities that can pull in numerous stations, it would be a centerpiece as I would be thrilled to listen to it and admire itís beauty of craftsmanship long gone. I also love talk radio and it would still be able to receive it with itís old tech even down there in your crazy land of traffic, people and mayhem, 😄. I would play it equally with my iPad and BT speakers!

    To answer your question honestly, on our mountain here in our canyon with minute reception of radio signals, I would still love it but I would have to go with my iPad and BT speakers! 😉 I admit, I love modern tech but I still say my CDís, SD cards and my iTunes library of well over 20,000 songs is all I need. I know Iím a dinosaur but thereís a lot of others!

    Oh yeah, cell phones suck and so does social media nowadays. I love that some of us can still have polite discussions like this even though we may disagree.

  28. #3298
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,933

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    Well, if I lived in places like you guys do in the big cities that can pull in numerous stations, it would be a centerpiece as I would be thrilled to listen to it
    Hate to burst your bubble, but the only good radio programming I can tune locally is a two hour show out of LA on Saturdays. I'll sometimes do a baseball game on a pocket/bathroom radio, but unless there's an earthquake, that's pretty much it - the rest of the radio dial is indistinguishable from anything you'd receive outside your valley, or essentially anywhere else in the US. Love KEXP Seattle, KAPA Hawaii, a smattering of others that I listen to streaming and/or podcast; once you know where the good shows are elsewhere, you don't limit yourself to your location.

    Still love the style and gravitas of the old radios though; it's really something to think about when you see an old used living room radio that predates television that this was the sole live connection to the outside world for a family, the centerpiece everyone would gather around nightly.

    And speaking of that, here's a recent radio auction; not a swap meet, but an auction where everybody brings out the top shelf stuff, pretty dazzling. I was mentally reaching for my wallet at 21:26 as was the cameraman, and I can't believe somebody actually offered a grandfather radio at 23:09, didn't think I'd ever see one of those in the wild:


  29. #3299
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Dunsmuir, Ca.
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    Hate to burst your bubble, but the only good radio programming I can tune locally is a two hour show out of LA on Saturdays. I'll sometimes do a baseball game on a pocket/bathroom radio, but unless there's an earthquake, that's pretty much it - the rest of the radio dial is indistinguishable from anything you'd receive outside your valley, or essentially anywhere else in the US.
    Thatís astounding to me SH! I would think AM/FM stations would still be abundant down there! I havenít been down in the big city in over 5 years.

    Iím so glad that a person like you with such modern tech knowledge still loves the old stuff. That radio in your video is outstanding! What a treat for the eyes.

    Thank you!

  30. #3300
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,933

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    Thatís astounding to me SH! I would think AM/FM stations would still be abundant down there! I havenít been down in the big city in over 5 years.
    Very abundant and very homogenized; AM is a third foreign language, a third presidential apologist network, and a third sports. FM is 95% automated playlist modern "music", with the remaining 5% split between an adult contemporary music station you might actually tolerate and the college station. Meanwhile over on KEXP Seattle, a live DJ is playing postwar 78s from his collection and discussing their history..

Page 110 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1060100103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •