Acebeam        
Page 111 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1161101104105106107108109110111112 LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,330 of 3343

Thread: Small Portable Radio's?

Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    Very abundant and very homogenized; AM is a third foreign language, a third presidential apologist network, and a third sports. FM is 95% automated playlist modern "music", with the remaining 5% split between an adult contemporary music station you might actually tolerate and the college station. Meanwhile over on KEXP Seattle, a live DJ is playing postwar 78s from his collection and discussing their history..
    That few percent of FM is my 100 percent lol. For me, AM is good for oldies, baseball commentary, and news when I want it.

I used to listen to AM radio when there was bad weather KRMG but when they got a second station on FM I no longer use the AM band as FM sounds better especially when you have stereo output.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Ballgame this afternoon (AAA). Think I'll take the DT-200X. Yup. That's the ticket.

Sangean PR-D12 review is up at the radiojayallen website. AM (MW), FM and seven NOAA weather channels, powered by 4xAA batteries or included switching power supply, 45 presets (20 AM, 20 FM, 5 weather), tuning by knob or button. Seek, Scan, Autoseek, or manual tuning options. 9 or 10k tuning steps on AM. Two alarm timers with buzzer or radio alarm. Adjustable sleep and snooze timers. Amazon price: just over $60. Review indicates good reception on AM, excellent reception on FM and weather.
    Last edited by mightysparrow; 09-09-2019 at 06:37 AM.
    "However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -- Stanley Kubrick

Question - is it ok to use energizer lithium batteries with the Sony ICF-SW7600GR?

Quote Originally Posted by 5S8Zh5 View Post
    Question - is it ok to use energizer lithium batteries with the Sony ICF-SW7600GR?
    I'm not an expert on the characteristics of cells of various chemistries, and I don't own or have any knowledge about that particular receiver. That being said, I would guess that there should not be a problem with the voltage of lithium primary AA cells from a quality manufacturer. The initial voltage of the Energizer lithium cells should be around 1.5 volts, like a quality alkaline AA cell.

Quote Originally Posted by mightysparrow View Post
    I'm not an expert on the characteristics of cells of various chemistries, and I don't own or have any knowledge about that particular receiver. That being said, I would guess that there should not be a problem with the voltage of lithium primary AA cells from a quality manufacturer. The initial voltage of the Energizer lithium cells should be around 1.5 volts, like a quality alkaline AA cell.
    This is incorrect. There is issues with Energizer lithiums (L91/L92) in that they measure around 1.8v new and when the voltage reaches 1.5v not under a load they are pretty much depleted. This high voltage is an issue with some devices as the more batteries in series you have that extra 0.2-0.3v adds up with 4 batteries it can almost equal having an extra cell. Some devices are sensitive to high voltage while others work better. The opposite in ways to this problem is NIMH batteries in that hot off the charger they tend to measure about 1.4v per cell and quickly drop to around 1.3v or so running between 1.2-1.35v most of the charge till they are depleted and this can be a problem as some device end up not working well below 1.3v and there is plenty of capacity left for nimh still I have a few things that on alkalines they run for a year to a year and a half but on nimh they run for about 6 months and some items on alkalines they run for 6-8 months but on Energizer lithiums they run for a year and a half. There are flashlights that the higher voltage of lithium primaries confuse the drivers not allowing for some modes to work till the battery voltage drops from use.
    These picky devices end up causing problems because you can't always use NIMH or lithium primaries and certainly a lot of us try our best to stay away from leakalines.
    Last edited by Lynx_Arc; 09-11-2019 at 11:34 AM.
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    This is incorrect. There is issues with Energizer lithiums (L91/L92) in that they measure around 1.8v new and when the voltage reaches 1.5v not under a load they are pretty much depleted. This high voltage is an issue with some devices as the more batteries in series you have that extra 0.2-0.3v adds up with 4 batteries it can almost equal having an extra cell. Some devices are sensitive to high voltage while others work better. The opposite in ways to this problem is NIMH batteries in that hot off the charger they tend to measure about 1.4v per cell and quickly drop to around 1.3v or so running between 1.2-1.35v most of the charge till they are depleted and this can be a problem as some device end up not working well below 1.3v and there is plenty of capacity left for nimh still I have a few things that on alkalines they run for a year to a year and a half but on nimh they run for about 6 months and some items on alkalines they run for 6-8 months but on Energizer lithiums they run for a year and a half. There are flashlights that the higher voltage of lithium primaries confuse the drivers not allowing for some modes to work till the battery voltage drops from use.
    These picky devices end up causing problems because you can't always use NIMH or lithium primaries and certainly a lot of us try our best to stay away from leakalines.
    Well, there you have it from someone with information I did not have. As I said, I was guessing on that issue. However, as for the drop in voltage of NiMH cells, some experts have pointed out that NiMH cells have a slower rate of decrease in their voltage than do alkalines, which can be an advantage in many applications/devices that don't require the higher voltage of the alkaline cell.

Quote Originally Posted by mightysparrow View Post
    Well, there you have it from someone with information I did not have. As I said, I was guessing on that issue. However, as for the drop in voltage of NiMH cells, some experts have pointed out that NiMH cells have a slower rate of decrease in their voltage than do alkalines, which can be an advantage in many applications/devices that don't require the higher voltage of the alkaline cell.
    Yes under a decent load where alkalines sag badly nimh will run close to flat till they are depleted acting as if there is some regulation in the device. That and being able to recharge to top them off so you know what peformance and runtime to expect.

Never tried it, don't see any reason why it wouldn't work/be harmful. The low battery indicator would probably not work correctly.

Alkalines last longer in analog radios, but it'd be interesting to see an alkaline-vs-everything-else runtime comparison in a digitally tuned radio.

A video visit to a Radio Shack in Idaho, in 2019; looks like the locals love CBs, though there's also a shelf of Sangean products (but do they still have a catalog?):

Flashaholic*

This again is very interesting about lithium cells vs. alkaline cells. I've learned much from these posts because Iíve always installed lithium cells in all my radios just because Iíve had so many alkaline cells leak in my lights and radios. Iíve always used lithiums because Iíve never had any of them leak. Who would have ever guessed that I might be damaging my radios installing lithium cells? Luckily, I havenít ruined a radio yet doing so.

Is the answer internal lithium rechargeable cells that lots of manufacturers are turning to? A lot of people donít like them as theyíre not replaceable and if they die, youíre out of luck to where you can replace regular disposable cells with a trip to the hardware store. How many of us though donít have access to a way of charging? Do we all live so remote that we canít recharge our batteries in a couple of hours?

Iím a fan of internal rechargeable cells now. I sold a 1st generation iPad Mini last year to purchase a new iPad Mini 4 as my 1st generation Mini wasnít supported any longer by Apple. After over 7 years of hard use, it still recharged to 100% every time and would last 6-7 hours of continued use.

Maybe the answer is EASILY, REPLACEABLE LiIon rechargeable cells in all radios and no more worrying about alkaleaks or whatever.

I'm also so VERY disappointed to learn that one of my
    2xAA portable radios FORBIDS the use of Energizer L91
    Lithium primary batteries, due to the higher voltage !
    :-(

So I use Eneloops when possible.

But my *backup* plan, since I depend heavily on
    L91 cells when SHTF, is to run them down substantially
    in one of my 2-cell AA flashlights, and THEN stick 'em
    into my radio.

- Adapt
    - Improvise
    - Overcome

_

Can someone list a good am/fm/weather AA pocket radio for around $20.
    Looking for info during hurricane season.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Burgess View Post
    I'm also so VERY disappointed to learn that one of my
    2xAA portable radios FORBIDS the use of Energizer L91
    Lithium primary batteries, due to the higher voltage !
    _
    I often wonder if you could make an insert and attach a small resistor to drop the voltage of the lithiums enough to use them. You would have to calculate the current draw of the radio to get the proper resistance and create a double sided very slim contact set to slide between a battery and a contact/spring. You could also remove the resistor when the radio starts to stop working and perhaps get little more runtime out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul6ppca View Post
    Thanks!
    You'd have to spend a bit more to get the weather band in a good pocket radio, but bear in mind that during an actual hurricane emergency situation, all the weather band does is give you wind speeds, surge measurements, lists of warnings - there's no info on closures, evacuations, power outage updates, etc., which is all found on your local AM/FM news station. A simple AM/FM pocket radio with a speaker [so it's not just one person getting the information] and good reception works fine here, like the $18 Sangean SR-35.

If you still want what the weather band has to offer, the $24 Kaito KA390 fits your budget but not your size criteria, though it uses the extra size for an extra quantity of larger batteries (3xD) which is perfect for long-term emergency use.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul6ppca View Post
    Thanks!
    Good reception, great sound for this 2 X AAA radio. Weather band works fine. I paid $11.77 from aliexpress, but for a few more dollars you can get it from amazon.

Flashaholic*

Good reception, great sound for this 2 X AAA radio. Weather band works fine. I paid $11.77 from aliexpress, but for a few more dollars you can get it from amazon.

As reported earlier Don, I purchased one of these awhile back and it was great at first but then it suddenly died. I tried everything in the book to bring it back to life with no success. I contacted the manufacturer over and over but they ignored me. If you can get a good one, theyíre fine.

Flashaholic*

A video visit to a Radio Shack in Idaho, in 2019; looks like the locals love CBs, though there's also a shelf of Sangean products (but do they still have a catalog?):

Thatís interesting SH as I thought CB was long gone but I found out people are still interested in that older technology I had a pair of 1980ís Radio Shack CB hand held radios that Iíve had forever. I offered them up on Ebay and they sold immediately! Who would have thought CBís are still pertinent?

Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    Thatís interesting SH as I thought CB was long gone but I found out people are still interested in that older technology I had a pair of 1980ís Radio Shack CB hand held radios that Iíve had forever. I offered them up on Ebay and they sold immediately! Who would have thought CBís are still pertinent?
    CB still works where cell phones don't; probably not a lot of LTE coverage in rural Idaho, but channel 19 comes in just fine..

CB still works where cell phones don't; probably not a lot of LTE coverage in rural Idaho, but channel 19 comes in just fine..
    It would work when a hurricane wipes out the power in a large area for sure.

Flashaholic*

Watching that RS video again SH, Iím so glad some RS stores are still out there and older tech is still alive! Like I stated years ago in this thread, my dad was a TV and radio repairman. Radio Shack was THE place to go for vacuum tubes and any parts you needed for electronic repair in those days.

Yes, I know Iím an antique but back in the day there were tube testers in just about every supermarket, hardware stores or whatever or wherever you went. My dad never trusted those tube testers and always went to RS to test his tubes because he trusted them. After awhile he bought his own portable tube tester and we used it to test tubes to repair TVís and radios in customers homes so we wouldnít have to run to RS to test them. Good memories!

Talking about hurricanes and such, Iíll tell you, living up here in rural life for 27 years now on the side of a mountain, we have gone through it all. Many, many power outages (and some for days), 2-4 foot snow storms in one night, rain storms that have wiped out our road and other near disasters and not including bears that have ripped up 2 of our BBQís! I have some recommendations on radios.

Almost all of you guys here live in safe big cities and canít appreciate what Iím talking about but in emergencies a battery operated scanner is a must! Also, a simple but decent quality battery operated AM/FM radio. In power outages, the scanner will let you know whatís happening around you. In my opinion, a land line is also a must. It will continue to operate when cell phones cannot get a signal. Keep flashlights and battery operated lanterns around and of course, keep a stash of batteries that will operate your flashlights, lanterns radio and your scanner.

Solar powered, hand cranking radios are okay I guess but most of them just feed into our fears of weeks and weeks of no power, no batteries and no sun! I donít recommend them but if you feel you canít do without one, so be it.

Sorry for my rant but just wanted to give a prospective as someone who has gone through all of the above. I still love radios of all types!

Well done post Gene. Do not live in a large city, but one is close by. Here in CA we can expect power outages from PGE. but I have been handle them with our multiple flashlights. Don't need radio. or other comminications devices.

Bill

In power outages, the scanner will let you know whatís happening around you.
    The issue there is that modern police forces use some pretty sophisticated comms that your inexpensive handheld scanner may or may not be able to receive; the place where I used to get that info was... Radio Shack's Police Call scanner guide, which went away with the store. My wife has gotten good results using a "police scanner" app for phones/tablets which takes the technicality out of the process, but without some sort of guide, I don't know if I'm hearing everything that's out there..

In my opinion, a land line is also a must.
    If you ask your current provider for an analog land line phone connection, they give you a digital connection routed through your internet, which requires power for the routing box and dies along with the power. I'm not sure that modern houses are built with a land line connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullzeyebill View Post
    Well done post Gene. Do not live in a large city, but one is close by. Here in CA we can expect power outages from PGE. but I have been handle them with our multiple flashlights. Don't need radio. or other comminications devices.
    The way they find out about new fault lines is when there's an earthquake where one wasn't expected..

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Bullzeyebill View Post

Bill
    Nice to hear occasionally from the one who started this whole mess. 😁

The issue there is that modern police forces use some pretty sophisticated comms that your inexpensive handheld scanner may or may not be able to receive; the place where I used to get that info was... Radio Shack's Police Call scanner guide, which went away with the store. My wife has gotten good results using a "police scanner" app for phones/tablets which takes the technicality out of the process, but without some sort of guide, I don't know if I'm hearing everything that's out there..

If you ask your current provider for an analog land line phone connection, they give you a digital connection routed through your internet, which requires power for the routing box and dies along with the power. I'm not sure that modern houses are built with a land line connection.

The way they find out about new fault lines is when there's an earthquake where one wasn't expected..
    Thanks for bringing that up SH about police forces and emergency personnel now using sophisticated comms. In my rural area, my old Radio Shack PRO-83, (sophisticated for itís time when I bought it), still works beautifully here.

I canít believe that ďmodern housesĒ now may not be being built without a land line connection!

I too lament the yearly printed RS Scanner Guide that I purchased every year as it was the Bible of scanner codes.

If youíre technically challenged like me, (I donít even use a cellphone!), and want to go the scanner route, make sure it receives your cityís constantly advancing sophisticated comms like SH eluded to.

I canít believe that ďmodern housesĒ now may not be being built without a land line connection!

If youíre technically challenged like me, (I donít even use a cellphone!), and want to go the scanner route, make sure it receives your cityís constantly advancing sophisticated comms like SH eluded to.
    I was forced into using a cell phone before I wanted to get into that technology a few years ago and was glad after I finally made the transition as the difference in my phone bill is about $23 a month less now and a lot of other things including my phone has a builtin FM radio. Many smart phones can make calls over wifi on the internet so as long as you have an internet connection and wifi setup you can make calls when cell towers are down using it.

If youíre technically challenged like me, (I donít even use a cellphone!)
    Every cell phone I have ever owned is significantly easier to use than any scanner I've ever handled, by a huge margin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    I was forced into using a cell phone before I wanted to get into that technology a few years ago and was glad after I finally made the transition as the difference in my phone bill is about $23 a month less now
    That's a good point, the actual phone company still charges like they're the only game in town, and they still have long distance calling..

Every cell phone I have ever owned is significantly easier to use than any scanner I've ever handled, by a huge margin.

That's a good point, the actual phone company still charges like they're the only game in town, and they still have long distance calling..
    I was convinced to dump them for good after my land line died for 8 days which it took to totally transfer my number to cell service.

Flashaholic*

Every cell phone I have ever owned is significantly easier to use than any scanner I've ever handled, by a huge margin...
    Thatís not true SH. My antique RS PRO-83 has a simple button that you press and it will automatically scan all the frequencies in my area and the available ones are put into itís memory. Then you press scan and it will constantly scan those frequencies until it receives a live one.

Of course it probably wouldnít work where youíre at with trunk scanners and all that technological stuff they have to have down there because of all the population but it still works great here in my rural, less populated area. I still turn to it during emergencies like heavy snow and rain and itís never failed me yet and itís free!

Youíre wonderful cell phone is magical but again, you pay a monthly fee. I pay nothing for my magical scanner excluding batteries which seem to last forever.

Like Iíve stated in the past, I have a iPad Mini 4 that will do everything your cell phone will do except receive phone calls but I still lean on my scanner as itís easier to use for me as a non-techie.

P.S. Hey SH. Iím not picking on you or trying to be argumentative. You really are an asset here. 😘 Your posts are so informative. I also enjoy our dialogue.
    Last edited by Gene; 09-27-2019 at 07:59 PM.

One thing I've noticed about portables is that those with lanyards really don't need them for my uses. So I started snipping them off; Tecsun R-233 was first. Then the CC Skywave. The Tecsun PL-880 and ICR-110 are next (on the chopping block). Of course the ICR-100 lanyard is the antenna, so those two stay.

Page 111 of 112 FirstFirst ... 1161101104105106107108109110111112 LastLast