Klarus        
Page 113 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1363103106107108109110111112113114115116117 LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,390 of 3492

Thread: Small Portable Radio's?

  1. #3361
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Dunsmuir, Ca.
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: Small Portable Radios?

    Boy, that is high praise indeed! It seems he gives it the highest regards of any AM/FM radio ever.

  2. #3362
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Hi all,

    I've been a reader of this forum for a while, and for this thread exclusively for years And I'm not even a regular radio listener.

    A few radio that might be of interest to this thread:


    - Sony has a new ICF-19 AM/FM radio which is the DSP version of their ICF-F10 AM/FM analog radio. It has analog tuning knob but DSP tuning, and double ICF-F10's already incredibly long runtime, at 400 hrs ! There is a review of ICF-19 and it's smaller sibblings at Jay Allen radio site.

    - Tecsun has a new bluetooth MP3 radio, Tecsun A5. It's the equivalence of their Tecsun A6, or a slimmer ICR-100, with bluetooth and numeric pad.


    - Lastly, I came across this just a few days ago and find it funny. Do a google on 'Nushi Radio' and look at the images. Nushi (I think it's a Japanese electrical/electronic appliance manufacturer) has a radio that looks like the Sony ICF-F10 but with the innards of a typical bluetooth MP3 speaker. Didn't realise that the Sony ICF-F10 is such a classic that it's being imitated by competitors. Unfortunately, it didn't sounds at all like the ICF-F10.


    I'm not quoting links for the above as that's probably why my earlier attempts to post here have not been successful


    Jack Ng

  3. #3363
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,933

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by JACKN View Post
    DSP tuning, and double ICF-F10's already incredibly long runtime
    I'd still like to see someone test this; while DSP is awesome for a casual listening radio, the extra draw needed to power a digital circuit would not be ideal for an emergency radio, where small percentage changes in runtime can add or remove many hours of listening. We know the older true-analog CCrane Solar Observer could run in realtime off its solar panel, while the current DSP-tuned model cannot.

  4. #3364
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Dunsmuir, Ca.
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Hello Jack and welcome aboard!

  5. #3365

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by JACKN View Post
    - Tecsun has a new bluetooth MP3 radio, Tecsun A5. It's the equivalence of their Tecsun A6, or a slimmer ICR-100, with bluetooth and numeric pad.
    Couldn't find the Tecsun A5 - do you have a link? I like that A6 though. Wonder how the sound it?

  6. #3366
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    I'd still like to see someone test this; while DSP is awesome for a casual listening radio, the extra draw needed to power a digital circuit would not be ideal for an emergency radio, where small percentage changes in runtime can add or remove many hours of listening....
    If you look up Jay Allen's article "Three Sony AM/FM Radios Ė ICF-506 Ė ICF-19 Ė ICF-801" at radiojayallen dot com, he did analysed the power usage of ICF-506, which is a variant of ICF-19 but with 3 x AA cells and power cord:

    "At minimum volume the ICF-506 drew about 21 ma. With the volume increased to a normal listening level the draw increased to about 30ma which would equate to 100 hours of operation, but increasing the volume to a slightly higher level that draw jumped to 100 ma which would mean only about 30 hours of run time...

    I decided to do a real-world battery life test.... the radio ran for over 75 hours before the BATT light went out, but the radio continued to soldier on for another 10 hours for a grand total playing time of about 85 hours until the unit shut down"


    I will have to leave it to you to do the equivalent analysis for the ICF-19. Note that the ICF-19 uses 3 D cells, which is one more than the 2 D cells in the F10. That extra cell partly accounts for the longer runtime in the ICF-19.

  7. #3367
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by 5S8Zh5 View Post
    Couldn't find the Tecsun A5 - do you have a link? I like that A6 though. Wonder how the sound it?
    Don't think I can quote link yet. I'm newly registered in this forum though I been lurking in this particular thread for years.

    If you google "Tecsun A5", there are a number of english sites now listed with its specs. I didn't own one and there's no detailed review that I know of.

  8. #3368
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Nashville TN
    Posts
    1,639

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by 5S8Zh5 View Post
    Couldn't find the Tecsun A5 - do you have a link? I like that A6 though. Wonder how the sound it?
    The Tecsun A5 appears to have a passive radiator speaker.

  9. #3369
    Flashaholic* vadimax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,171

    Lightbulb Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    A sudden discovery:

    I was using SANGEAN DT-800 YL at work, but its built in audio is... nominal I must say. It just exists. Itís power level is... well, nominal as well. But I remembered that with headphones it was unexpectedly good.

    Today I have connected ANKER SoundCore 2 to it. Damn, this is night and day!



    Here you may see audio spectrum video (see description how it was made). In the beginning the radio is off to see ambient noise level. Yeah, servers, 28KW of conditioning systems...
    Last edited by vadimax; 11-28-2019 at 04:03 AM.

  10. #3370
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    12,039

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Is it worth getting compared to the dt 400?

    bill
    Last edited by Bullzeyebill; 11-28-2019 at 07:00 AM.

  11. #3371
    Flashaholic* vadimax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,171

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullzeyebill View Post
    Is it worth getting compared to the dt 400?

    bill
    Sorry, I have no DT-400. Cannot say anything articulate about it.

  12. #3372

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    I've got the 800 and a couple of 400s and don't see that the 800 is better. More bells + whistles, and the RDS is annoying (to me). I prefer a volume dial rather than a stepped.

  13. #3373
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,933

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by vadimax View Post
    I was using SANGEAN DT-800 YL at work, but its built in audio is... nominal I must say. It just exists. Itís power level is... well, nominal as well. But I remembered that with headphones it was unexpectedly good.

    Today I have connected ANKER SoundCore 2 to it. Damn, this is night and day!
    I recall mentioning some time ago that everything leads to a device + Bluetooth speaker; but yeah, the SoundCore is very popular, lot of bang for the buck..

  14. #3374
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Nashville TN
    Posts
    1,639

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    I am thinking about replacing my Amazon Echo Dot with the Echo (3rd Gen) or the Echo Studio and am having a hard time deciding which way to go. I really want the Studio but at $199.00 for the Studio VS $59.00 for the Echo currently on sale I am having a hard time justifying the differences. I am hoping Amazon will drop the price of the Studio during black Friday but no guarantees given that the Studio is currently out of stock. Music is the main reason for the purchase but streaming radio stations out of my area is a strong second reason for the purchase. I already placed an order for the red Echo which is back ordered in till Dec 12 to lock in the sale price with the idea that I can cancel the order if the Studio drops in price before the Echo ships. Any thoughts on either product or how they really compare?
    Last edited by Lebkuecher; 11-28-2019 at 06:08 PM.

  15. #3375
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,933

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lebkuecher View Post
    I am thinking about replacing my Amazon Echo Dot with the Echo (3rd Gen) or the Echo Studio and am having a hard time deciding which way to go. I really want the Studio but at $199.00 for the Studio VS $59.00 for the Echo currently on sale I am having a hard time justifying the differences. I am hoping Amazon will drop the price of the Studio during black Friday but no guarantees given that the Studio is currently out of stock. Music is the main reason for the purchase but streaming radio stations out of my area is a strong second reason for the purchase. I already placed an order for the red Echo which is back ordered in till Dec 12 to lock in the sale price with the idea that I can cancel the order if the Studio drops in price before the Echo ships. Any thoughts on either product or how they really compare?
    If music is the main criteria, put the money towards more audio quality in a standard Bluetooth speaker; that sub-$200 category can get you a selection of Bose/Sony/JBL units. You can add back the assistant part of the equation later if you want using an Echo Input or similar.

    Be aware that current Apple devices [by default] split Siri from your speaker - if you're playing music from an iDevice and call for Siri, she interfaces with you through the mic/speakers on the iDevice, not the speaker, then when the interaction is over the music resumes on speaker. I find this a much better arrangement than yelling at the assistant from across the room and having an 80+ decibel conversation through the speaker..

    Bluetooth speakers are one of the items that get the biggest discounts on Black Friday, doesn't matter who you buy from; 50% off and beyond is completely normal for holiday sales, heads up..

  16. #3376
    Flashaholic* vadimax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,171

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    As an addition to DT-800 + SoundCore 2. I have tested XHDATA D-808 in this configuration. Well, SANGEAN wins. D-808 output is limited at 16 KHz.

  17. #3377

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by vadimax View Post
    As an addition to DT-800 + SoundCore 2. I have tested XHDATA D-808 in this configuration. Well, SANGEAN wins. D-808 output is limited at 16 KHz.
    How does the DT-800 and XDATA D-808 connect to the SoundCore 2? An aux in / aux out line?

  18. #3378
    Flashaholic* vadimax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,171

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by 5S8Zh5 View Post
    How does the DT-800 and XDATA D-808 connect to the SoundCore 2? An aux in / aux out line?
    You need this cable:



    with a 3.5 mm jack.

  19. #3379

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    What was / is your most used portable in 2019?

    For me, that's fairly easy to answer - Tecsun ICR-110. Mostly microSD mp3 classical albums / mixes, but classical FM gets played a lot also - especially Sunday Baroque. I use my RADIWOW R-108 alarm frequently when I'm baking something.

  20. #3380

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by 5S8Zh5 View Post
    What was / is your most used portable in 2019?
    Sangean DT-400W. Pocket size, good reception, good sound, handy clock. And cheap! Though I'm always looking for the new #1.

  21. #3381

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Steve View Post
    Sangean DT-400W. Pocket size, good reception, good sound, handy clock. And cheap! Though I'm always looking for the new #1.
    Good choice. I always check mine to see if San Francisco is coming in at all in the morning.

  22. #3382
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Regina, SK, CA
    Posts
    17

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Steve View Post
    Sangean DT-400W. Pocket size, good reception, good sound, handy clock. And cheap! Though I'm always looking for the new #1.
    Me too. Handy little radio. I confess I haven't done a lot of serious radio listening in the last year, but I've found my Sangean to be an indispensible radio to listen to the live broadcasts of my favourite CFL team while attending games.

    Shout-out to my Degen DE797 when I want something a little smaller and don't mind giving up FM stereo plus the weather bands.

  23. #3383
    Flashaholic* vadimax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,171

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Well, I have made a gift to myself. Purchased this radio: https://radiofidelity.com/pure-avalon-n5-review/.

    Last edited by vadimax; 12-12-2019 at 09:43 PM.

  24. #3384
    Flashaholic* vadimax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,171

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    The most weird thing about this radio is that it was in production very shortly. For some reason it was phased out a year later after its release. The charcoal version of it skyrocketed in price twice until now.

    And yes, it is not small and marginally portable ó 3.75 lb (1.7 kg).

  25. #3385
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    12,039

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    AM and FM?

    Bill

  26. #3386
    Flashaholic* vadimax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,171

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullzeyebill View Post
    AM and FM?

    Bill
    DAB/DAB+/FM/Bluetooth/AUX. AM (MW) in Europe is practically dead.
    Last edited by vadimax; 12-12-2019 at 11:47 PM.

  27. #3387

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    AM (MW) in Europe is practically dead.
    That's genuinely unfortunate to hear.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

  28. #3388
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Dunsmuir, Ca.
    Posts
    1,689

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Excuse my ignorance, (Iím VERY ignorant! ), is Digital Audio Broadcasts available here in the U.S.? Looks interesting.

  29. #3389

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, (Iím VERY ignorant! ), is Digital Audio Broadcasts available here in the U.S.? Looks interesting.
    Yes, you can get HD radios that have digital broadcasts of some stations and they piggyback another channel/broadcast if your radio can receive it. I have an HD radio in my car (Kenwood) and HD radio is IMO worth a little extra if you have a choice.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

  30. #3390
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California Republic
    Posts
    10,933

    Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, (Iím VERY ignorant! ), is Digital Audio Broadcasts available here in the U.S.? Looks interesting.
    There's only one HD radio station in Dunsmuir; Southern Oregon University's public radio affiliate. Love that HD audio quality, but as for using a physical tuner it'll come down to how much you want news and alternative music. Or you can listen to it online now.

Page 113 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1363103106107108109110111112113114115116117 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •