The Fenix-Store        
Page 116 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1666106109110111112113114115116117 LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,480 of 3492

Thread: Small Portable Radio's?

Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

Saw some reviews on the eton elite mini. As far as the minis, it looks like the best one yet. Anyone get their hands on it yet?
    a single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows- St. Francis of Assissi

Quote Originally Posted by aginthelaw View Post
    Saw some reviews on the eton elite mini. As far as the minis, it looks like the best one yet. Anyone get their hands on it yet?
    The Minis aren't really known for AM reception, the new DSP means above average FM though. A good feature set for the price, but you'll need a pocket reel antenna for any chance at SW. Don't expect the speaker to be any better than your phone, but both most likely sound the same through earbuds/phones.

Flashaholic*

I bought a Mini a few years ago and returned it due to QC issues and performance. Sound was lacking as well.

As this thread is now 3500 posts long, I am not likely to get through it all anytime soon. Amidst all those posts, are there any small battery powered radios that seem to be universally accepted as good quality and reliable? Spending some of my extra time during Safer at Home to go through and rebuild my Go Bag, which was hastily put together a few years ago. (I live in a very disaster un-prone area, but having *something* prepped is ALWAYS a good idea). I would like a small radio for news and weather I can stash in there. Does not need to be expensive or feature rich. If things go right, I will never use it.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    As this thread is now 3500 posts long, I am not likely to get through it all anytime soon. Amidst all those posts, are there any small battery powered radios that seem to be universally accepted as good quality and reliable? Spending some of my extra time during Safer at Home to go through and rebuild my Go Bag, which was hastily put together a few years ago. (I live in a very disaster un-prone area, but having *something* prepped is ALWAYS a good idea). I would like a small radio for news and weather I can stash in there. Does not need to be expensive or feature rich. If things go right, I will never use it.
    My go-to emergency radio is the original Skywave but probably out of the price range you would consider if still available. Given you will rarely use the radio I might consider the Vondior NOAA/AM/FM Battery Operated Portable Radio for 29.97 on Amazon. I do not have the radio but seems to review well.

I would like a small radio for news and weather I can stash in there. Does not need to be expensive or feature rich. If things go right, I will never use it.
    For that application, a basic analog w/ speaker unit is ideal, since you're not paying for extra casual-listening features that may never be used and it has stellar battery life. The Sangean SR-35 is the current darling of the simple pocket radio class, AM/FM, straightforward intuitive interface anyone can use (which is important in this role since there's no guarantee it'll be you using the radio,) and powered by 2xAA batteries, so you can store it with a pair of Energizer Lithiums or use any chemistry AA from your stash/from other devices in your house. ~$25.

If it's not just you in this power outage/emergency event, you may want something larger with more batteries so everyone can listen more comfortably over a longer period of time; the Panasonic RF-2400D is closer to tabletop size and uses 4xAAs, for about the same price as the Sangean above. If you can work with D cell batteries for ultimate runtime, the Sony ICF-19 is the same simple format but will last for hundreds of hours between battery swaps, and only nudges the $30 mark.

nbp, do want it to have a speaker? Sangean DT400 has a speaker and prices have gone down on them. Also gets weaather news, and is a quality machine.

Bill

Excellent, thank you, I will look at all of these suggestions! I was thinking something roughly Walkman size that I can tuck in my pack. I wouldn't expect to use it as much for entertainment purposes as much as for getting news and weather in the event my cell phone is damaged or cannot get signal or be charged for some period.

I've been pleased so far with the Kaito KA 200 that I recently purchased. If you want something really small (it will nearly fit in an Altoids tin), it might be a good choice. It's an analog AM/FM and uses 2AAA's. It should have decent runtime, though I can't say yet from personal experience. Most of the reviews I've seen have been good. There're a lot of choices out there. If you want to be more confused check out the radio reviews by Todderbert on Youtube.

Geoff

I am not a radio expert, but I have an Etůn Elite Mini that might serve that purpose, @nbp

I use it mostly as a backup alarm though, not really for news / weather.

I see others discussing this above, and don't feel qualified to provide much of a review. Sound is "ok" but not something I'd use to, say, listen to music for any length of time.

My larger radio is a Sony ICF-SW7600GR, and I have been pleased with that, but probably too large and pricey for what you are describing.
    Last edited by archimedes; 04-28-2020 at 08:16 AM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by Bullzeyebill View Post
    nbp, do want it to have a speaker? Sangean DT400 has a speaker and prices have gone down on them. Also gets weaather news, and is a quality machine.

Bill
    I ended up grabbing one of these. I was ordering some items on the bay and they had them for a good price. It seems well built, has some nice features like an auto off timer, weather/alert band, button lockout, and it is brightly colored so it will be easy to find in a pack or if dropped. Appreciate the suggestion!! Iíll report back when I get it.

I ended up grabbing one of these. I was ordering some items on the bay and they had them for a good price. It seems well built, has some nice features like an auto off timer, weather/alert band, button lockout, and it is brightly colored so it will be easy to find in a pack or if dropped. Appreciate the suggestion!! Iíll report back when I get it.
    Don't have your heart set on storing that one away; once you tune around the AM band at night on a Sangean, you might want it on your nightstand..

Flashaholic*

Nice choice

Your budget was a little higher than I thought but I believe it is money well spent. Almost a year ago I wanted to buy a small AM/FM portable radio for walks. Most of the radios I have are too large for the task and the smaller radios I have struggle with AM due to the small internal AM antenna and the distance to the broadcasting tower. I seriously considered the Sangean DT-400W as well as the Sangean DT-800BK and C. Crane CC Pocket but ended up buying a Sangean SR-35. Overall, the Sangean SR-35 is a nice pocket radio, but the tuning wheel is too tight for my taste and the AM struggles where I walk. I continue to us the Skywave for walks.

I look forward to reading your thoughts on the DT-400.

Thank you, I'm glad to hear you guys all approve of the choice! Yes, I was originally thinking about $25. But there seemed to be a lot of good written about the Sangeans and this model as well. I got it with shipping for under $48 so the extra seemed worth it for the quality and those few nice features. I should get it Monday so I will be able to play with it and report back with observations.

My vote goes to Sangean DT-800YL US version. Its built-in speaker sounds tiny, of course, but this is expected with its size. But when you connect ear phones of some external speaker of even average quality, you say: WOW! You never expect that from a small radio.

I have several radio receivers and nearly all of them end up somewhere at 16.5 kHz output. DT-800 goes beyond 20 kHz... I cannot specify where its low boundary extends, but it is definitely there.

Here you may see its simplified FFT:

Last edited by vadimax; 05-01-2020 at 03:00 PM.

Got the eton mini. It had a busted mode switch so I couldnít get the sw band. The display, size and sound were decent however, as was the two ways to tune the radio. Great to stick in your pocket to take to the ballgame to listen to the broadcast or another game at the same time...if ballparks ever open again.
    on a side note, it might have been new, old stock, since it smelled like an abandoned warehouse.
    Last edited by aginthelaw; 05-03-2020 at 08:23 AM.

Default Small Portable Radio's?

Any idea what causes a repetitive static sound like tapping or dripping water. Itís only on one old radio and I donít know if itís the sign of a cap going bad
    Last edited by aginthelaw; 05-04-2020 at 04:29 PM.

could be a cap.... or a bad connection or cold solder joint
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

What brand/model of old radio?

Bill

Icf-7600

On a positive note i have an icf sw77 that seems to be working perfectly. It can get chu on 7850khz with just the built in telescopic antenna. Im in Plainfield, New Jersey and theyíre about 400 miles away by the crow flies in nepean Ontario. And that was 1536 hours est

I received the DT-400W in a couple of days ago and I was very happy with it. Smaller than I expected, which is nice when space in a pack is at a premium. Comes with a belt clip, a set of wired headphones, and an antenna wire that plugs into the headphone jack for reception if you are using the speaker, so the reception was pretty good even inside my place with thick walls. Seems of good quality - the buttons are firm and not flakey at all, and it puts out sufficient volume for several listeners on speaker mode. It has a dedicated weather band, and you can enable a weather alert for a set number of hours where it will notify you of any alerts. The screen has a backlight for nighttime use, a clock option, and is programmable for your favorite stations. A button lockout keeps it from turning on and draining in a bag or pocket. Over all, it seems like a great option for about $48 shipped and has everything I could want in a radio for my BOB. Pleased with the choice!

It's a good portable (DT-400W). Hit any button in the dark to see the time. No need for the manual really as functions are intuitive - setting the clock, saving stations.

Flashaholic*

Any idea what causes a repetitive static sound like tapping or dripping water. Itís only on one old radio and I donít know if itís the sign of a cap going bad

Which of the Sony 7600 series radio do you have? You might want to check out the link below regarding your problem. (Read the servicing section)

http://stephan.win31.de/sony76-4.htm#ICF-7600

I know a couple of people who can repair classic radios who are very reasonable. They are radio enthusiast and not repair shops. I have used both to repair radios in the past. If you are interested in repairing your ICF-7600 I can check see if they would be interested.

Is your ICF-SW77 in good shape? I purchased one back around 1995. The radio is a great performer.

List of the 7600 series.

1978 ICF-7600 Analog
    1982 ICF-7600A Analog
    1983 ICF-7600D/ICF-2002 PLL synthesized 10 memories
    1987 ICF-7600DS/ICF-2003 PLL synthesized, 10 memories, stand on the back
    1988 ICF-7601 Analog
    1990 ICF-SW7600 PLL synthesized, 10 memories, stand on the back
    1994 ICF-SW7600G PLL synthesized, 20 memories, Synchronous detection, stand on the back
    2001 ICF-SW7600GR PLL synthesized, 100 memories, Synchronous detection, stand on the back

I have the first one and the last one. Itís the firs thatís giving me trouble. Can you pm the list of repairmen to me? I think you were the one to give me one of the guys info for my ge srIII a while back.

The sw77 is brand new straight off the factory floor condition. Unbelievably pristine

On a side note tecsun pl-880 on eBay for 99.00. Refurb. Good price? Itís from the factory I believe
    Last edited by aginthelaw; 05-08-2020 at 03:40 PM.

On a side note tecsun pl-880 on eBay for 99.00. Refurb. Good price? Itís from the factory I believe
    Might be worth it since that'll probably be the final flagship Tecsun..

Flashaholic*

I have the first one and the last one. Itís the firs thatís giving me trouble. Can you pm the list of repairmen to me? I think you were the one to give me one of the guys info for my ge srIII a while back.

The sw77 is brand new straight off the factory floor condition. Unbelievably pristine

I like the PL-880, I am going camping this weekend and it is one of the radios I am taking. It depends on what you are using the radio for. The pluses are the PL-880 has a passive radiator speaker so the quality of the audio is exceptionally good for radio for its size. SW and FM perform well but AM/MW is only OK. I would not use the radio for DXing but for local stations you should be fine. You could buy the radio new for about $60.00 more and have a warranty. I am generally cautious with referbs because the radio was more than likely returned for a reason and it is hard to know if the issue was addressed.

Other than audio quality I do not think you are going to gain much over your Sony SW-77. The sync on the SW-77 is one of the best there is, only the Eton 1 is better in my opinion. But if you are like me and like radios then the PL-880 is a great radio to have especially if you are listening to music. I uploaded the YouTube a few years ago linked below comparing some audio samples which include both radios so maybe it will give you an idea of the sound differences. Keep in mind the Tecsun PL-990, as well as the H-501, should be shipping at any time so new PL-880 prices might drop.

I will reach out to Rod and Vlado and see if they have time to work on your 7600 and get back to you. It will be after I return from my camping trip sometime late next week.

Leb, what do you recommend for dxŪng? and pm where to get the pl-880 for $60

Leb, what do you recommend for dxŪng? and pm where to get the pl-880 for $60
    The radio in that video thumbnail above

And he's saying $60 over what you'd pay for refurb.

I was groggy when I read that (recovering from a fractured rib and bruised lung and dislocated knuckle and bruised knees and a little whiplash...maybe I shouldíve just said an accident).
    I reread it and understand now. I was even able to tune in the featured station. I got wwvb in Colorado on 2 bands so I think Iím back on the path...
    I just bought a ďfully functioning good conditionĒ rf2200 that didnít get am or sw so Iím sending it back. Chances are slim Iím going to get my hands on one of those that works perfect
    Last edited by aginthelaw; 05-09-2020 at 07:29 AM.

Page 116 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1666106109110111112113114115116117 LastLast