ArmyTek        
Page 117 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1767107110111112113114115116117
Results 3,481 to 3,492 of 3492

Thread: Small Portable Radio's?

Banned

Default Re: Small Portable Radio's?

Well you'll need a good radio while you're laying there recovering, hang in there; if I had to start from scratch today, I'd just get a CCRadio 3 and be done with it. Those older DX units are legends without question, but to get a copy and get it to stock condition would be more money and effort than just shelling out the $200 for a new radio with a warranty.

Does anyone have experience with the Kaito KA700? It using a standard 18650 makes it very appealing to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jrgold View Post
    Does anyone have experience with the Kaito KA700? It using a standard 18650 makes it very appealing to me.
    The aforementioned Tecsun PL-880 is an 18650 radio; its passive radiator speaker and feature set are geared for better DXing and casual listening than the Kaito, but the Kaito is more suited to emergency/no power scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    The aforementioned Tecsun PL-880 is an 18650 radio; its passive radiator speaker and feature set are geared for better DXing and casual listening than the Kaito, but the Kaito is more suited to emergency/no power scenarios.
    Thank you, thatís a high quality option. I really like the Bluetooth compatibility on the kaito tho. If the tecsun has that it would be a homerun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jrgold View Post
    Thank you, thatís a high quality option. I really like the Bluetooth compatibility on the kaito tho. If the tecsun has that it would be a homerun
    The catch is that the Kaito's speaker doesn't hold a candle to the Tecsun's; the Kaito is going to sound as you would expect, whereas the Tecsun is literally the same design as a standalone Bluetooth speaker, on par with a modest bookshelf/monitor speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    The catch is that the Kaito's speaker doesn't hold a candle to the Tecsun's; the Kaito is going to sound as you would expect, whereas the Tecsun is literally the same design as a standalone Bluetooth speaker, on par with a modest bookshelf/monitor speaker.
    Iím hoping the ka900 is a compromise

Flashaholic*

Not to change the subject and just filling space but perusing some of the Chinese sites lately, Iíve noticed almost all of their radios are now taking 18650 cells and most are now using TWO 18650 cells even with their very small radios.

They are also including battery compartment covers where you can remove the cells to replace them with better 18650 cells. Itís amazing how things have changed when we were wishing just awhile back where they would accept better, long lasting cells.

Maybe, CCrane radios should do the same.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    Not to change the subject and just filling space but perusing some of the Chinese sites lately, Iíve noticed almost all of their radios are now taking 18650 cells and most are now using TWO 18650 cells even with their very small radios.

They are also including battery compartment covers where you can remove the cells to replace them with better 18650 cells. Itís amazing how things have changed when we were wishing just awhile back where they would accept better, long lasting cells.

Maybe, CCrane radios should do the same.
    Only some people keep a charged phone charger on hand, otherwise I'd recommend that change since far more people have experience with charging their phones vs buying large format batteries now. But if you don't have a means to keep your devices charged for several days, the radio had better be running on some battery format that's common in your house..

Flashaholic*

I agree SH. Even though 18650 cells arenít as common as AAA, AA, C and D cells but with the vaping rage awhile back and with flashlights...etc., they are now fairly common.

They have decent capacity, chargers are cheap and good examples can sit for a good while without discharging much and when used in low drain electronics like radios, they can go on for a long time. Plus their smaller size is perfect for radios. I applaud the Chinese manufacturers for now including them in almost all their radios.

You donít need a charger with a radio, batteries are being charged internally.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by vadimax View Post
    You donít need a charger with a radio, batteries are being charged internally.
    Gonna want a powered wall outlet for that adapter; if you have a USB battery pack, now your radio is another device that can be charged with your phones/tablets/etc.

Panasonic RF-2400D spotted: The Assistant (2020).

Page 117 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1767107110111112113114115116117