McGuchi E2C Surefire adaptor

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I am wondering if I could get this adaptor and fit it to my SF-E2e then run a turbo head with it, that would be good!

What if I have a P61 lamp assembly on my E2e that would be great! Now anyone know where I can get the head/bezel of a C2 or a M2? Does surefire sell them?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
nukiez,

Yes the combos you have mentioned will work. SF parts department has unfortunately but understandably curtailed a free flow of parts for aftermarket sale. I think they want to continue providing replacement parts for damaged flashlights but aren't interested in providing components for the small and self serving mod market. One consideration that we likely don't bear in mind is that SF warrants all of their product but this is on the presumption that the flashlights remain as SF has designed them. In the open ended mod arena, we are capable of applying components to uses never intended by SF and yet they are still exposed as a warranty replacement provider.

I recall reading where dealers can place orders and stock components. I think your best bet on a loose C2 or M2 bezel is in the B/S/T here or by contacting some of the larger SF dealers.

- Don

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,
Thanks for your comments and ideas. I'll try to contact my dealer about it. I think there are several ways I can make my SF@E2e 120lumens but I need some help from you guys.

First of all, as mention above, get a C2/M2/_2 bezel from my dealer _or_ Secondly, buy a black G2 which cost the lowest that will do the bezel job. _or_ Third, buy the turbo head which is slightly big and costly.

Fourth, now come the real mod, rip off the MN03 bulb from its' assembly. Rip off P61 bulb from its' assembly. You know the drill, swap them! I might sound silly(I am new here!), but I haven't seen an actual P61 before so it might not fit that is why I'm asking for help. As far as I can tell this is the most cost effective way of making an E2e under sheep's skin. I am also thinking about the heat dissipation of the E2e bezel with P61.

Has this been done before? Will the height fit? How is the P61 bulb attached to it's reflector assembly? Possible to remove in safe manner(keeping two terminals intact)? Is this considered modding? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Anyone?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Nukiez,

Dang! I do have some other projects to work on but you have asked some questions worth answering. It so happens that I have already been colse to your proposed destination but for different reasons that I can't divulge. I have a workable E2e with P61 and will now make a web page on it. I'll be back soon with more info and pictures. I would expect that thermal considerations will preclude long run times but don't know if, when or how a thermal "shutdown" would manifest itself.

- Don

PS. This EXACTLY why SF is wise not to let parts get out individually. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Argghhh Don so you did this before me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Oh well! If there are thermal problems, I wouldn't want to use the P61 for extended period.

Blikbok - thanks for the info, I did look at the pics earlier, I will inspect them when I can get hold of a P61. Then I'll try other ways. Perhaps Don has a good ideas. An E2e bezel with P61!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: McGuchi E2C SF adaptor - or- E2e-P61

Hi Guys,

Well I did some more investigation and yet another can of worms may have been opened! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

head.jpg

Yes, that's a P61 in an E2e head, BUT the front end is McLux bezel and other non SF parts. The beam is awesome but we may run into the problem that Nascar encountered with the UBH and P91 with extended play. I don't know right now and must get on with other things. Instead of re-typing my comments, those interested please see:

More Info on E2e-P61

I have now put the E2e-P61 on an E2 body and will gladly admit that this is really a pocket power house that is worthy of short blasts of light, if nothing else. In light of recent comments on CPF, I acknowledge credit of this mod to nukiez. I was fortunate to already have all the components required with some previous experience related to compatibility issues.

Of course if this turns out to be a viable package, we will need to hound Hotfoot for McLux bezel caps as the current population of these are married to McLux heads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Incidentally, even though the O-ring isn't completely buried on my E2-body/McE2e-head, the tail lip mount blow and suck test indicates a waterproof if not pressure proof assembly.

Beam Shot (MN03 & P61):

beam-shot.jpg

One final comment here as I stated on my web page:

Although this is new ground here for us, I would fully expect that PK and crew visited this idea years ago and have chosen not to go there. I could be wrong but expect that " been there, done that" would be a SF response.

- Don

PS. Why do I expect incoming from Nascar? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

You know me too well Don. I'll save you the trouble and just post it here. You know I want several of these, right? Hey, If you want, I can do some extended runtime testing for you. Just send me a couple.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Good news! I just checked carefully and provided the "typical" P61 isn't longer than my sample, the stock bezel cap CAN be used provided the assembly is as follows:

1) Heat and remove plastic LA from Al reflector (175 -180 F)
Remove residue of glue

2)add a washer/ shim to the LA. I used a stainless steel washer I had that's .050" thick.

3) dis assemble bezel cap and lens and rings from head. Heat can be used to soften glue and strap wrench aids in gripping bezel cap. Remove all elements and only the flat rubber O-ring will be reused. Thin plastic washer and pyrex lens are left out.

4) Dry fit mineral glass lens in bezel cap (all other elements removed and confirm that cap will screw down and lens will rattle and NOT contact lamp.

5) build the Lens cap assembly in the following sequence:
(from outside or front in)
A) Bezel Cap
B) mineral glass lens #225(.040" thick)
C) #116 O-ring
D) reuse flat rubber SF O-ring
6) re-assemble and confirm seal and function

Note: the O-ring and lens are components used by the McLux and Dat2zip has or will have these available soon. A suitable washer should be available from a hardware store.

- Don

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Nascar,

If you don't want to attempt the mod yourself, send me an E2e and a P61 and I'll do the mod and add the components required. I'll be happy to add a heavy labor fee to the bill. Seriously though, labor on the first one is free so you can do some run time and usability tests for us. I'll only charge you for the parts I use and postage. E-me if you are interested.

- Don

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast

Phawww!!
All these stuff actually happened in a few hours while I am sleeping?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif thats the Mod-From-Hell! 120Lumens from a E2e! wow Cheers! woooooot woooooot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Now the update really made it come true! A E2e under sheep's skin! Unbelievable!

I am going to try this out as soon as my P61 come. 'll let you all know the results!

Thanks Don, heaps of info there. I can see how much effort & time you spend modding!

McGizmo

Flashaholic

YC,

It would no doubt fly for short bursts; a pocketable self defense weapon? I wonder if there are some short 3V cells that could fit in the E1? 9volts in the E1 with a P91? Now there's some pocket power! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

yclo

Flashaholic*

Don,

Well, there have been past tests run with the shorter-than-123-cell. Called CR2, they did not have enough juice to power the massive current draw required by the SF's HOLA's.

However, CR2032's are 3v... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

-YC

McGizmo

Flashaholic

YC,

If it's a case of voltage drop, perhaps 12 volts? Yeah, I know. I'm sounding dangerous here. I like to capitalize on my ignorance and throw in a pinch of stupidity to boot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

- Don

yclo

Flashaholic*

One thing just occured to me that caused me to revive this thread, given that a P61 bulb can be removed from the reflector and put into an E2e bezel.

This means that you can remove the 3.7v bulb that comes with the Wolf Eyes/Pila Li-ion kit and have a rechargable E2e? Correct me if I'm wrong?

-YC

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

I was looking for this thread, but couldn't find it. Thanks yclo. I am now the proud owner of several of these modified bezels. Later tonight, I'll try to post pictures. This is one kick-butt mod, let me tell you. It's amazing how versitile the E2E/E2O body is for various MODS. I've successfully run a P60 and P61 in my E2O, using this modified bezel. Thermal shutdown is an issue with the P61, but I never intended on running this for more than 8-10 minutes of constant on.

Blikbok

Enlightened

Oooh, now I can't wait for my UBH to become an E3!

Sproing

Newly Enlightened

I've also done this but with a P91 lamp assembly. I haven't received my UBH yet so i haven't had a chance to try it yet. I think heat will probably be an issue so I might try this with a P90 lamp also.

Also want to say thanks to McGizmo for putting the instructions to do this on his website. I followed his method exactly and everything turned out perfect. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

fc35678c.jpg

fc356771.jpg