E1B clip on the E1L?

FSCJedi

Newly Enlightened
Simple question: will the clip from the E1B fit on the E1L? I carry my my E1L in my satchel and I'd really prefer to have it clipped lens down instead of lens up.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Simple answer... yes. :)

e1l-bk.jpg

fireboltr

Enlightened
Simple question: will the clip from the E1B fit on the E1L? I carry my my E1L in my satchel and I'd really prefer to have it clipped lens down instead of lens up.

surefire said that they dont know if it will work but....they sent me a clip anyways.....
I knew it would just from handling the e1b that it would fit my e1l

so i am playing the waiting game....

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
surefire said that they dont know if it will work but....they sent me a clip anyways.....
I knew it would just from handling the e1b that it would fit my e1l

so i am playing the waiting game....

You're lucky that they sent you an E1B clip. People have been trying to get one from SF for months. The E1L clip may or may not fit on the E1B, though. I think someone was able to do it, but a lot of effort was required.

jave-mtr

Newly Enlightened
You're lucky that they sent you an E1B clip. People have been trying to get one from SF for months.

Yeah, what's up with that? Is there a special word (besides 'please' :p) that one has to utter while talking to customer service to get an E1B clip?
I think they should really make the clip an after-market item so that anybody can exchange it if they want! The fact that the E1B clip fits on E1e/E1L/... has been thoroughly documented here (even though SureFire CS told me it wouldn't fit)!

FSCJedi

Newly Enlightened
Looks like I need to give SureFire a call then, huh? :twothumbs Do I just ask them to send me one? :thinking:

FSCJedi

Newly Enlightened
Well, now I guess I'm hosed.

I called SureFire and told them I needed a new clip for my E1L and asked if they could send me an E1B clip instead. The response was...
SureFire said:
No, they are not compatible with each other.

:(

I don't suppose someone wants to swap when I get my new clip (or order a "replacement" for their E1B and send it to me)??? You'd sure make this soldier happy! :D

*crosses fingers*

cv3po

Banned
I already have an E1B so the clip is solid but can anyone tell me where to get a twisty switch (ala L1/2, A2) that will work with my E1B or an E1L? For some odd reason I just don't trust clickies for the long haul and SF twisties are IMO the most reliable switches out there!

fireboltr

Enlightened
here is what I said

that I love the new e1l i just picked up....but....the only thing I hate about the light is the clip....i need it to sit bezel down as i work with metals in maching/fabrication and this will quickly destroy the lens....from playing with the e1b and e1l in the store i needed the low first and the longer runtime of the slightly lower output.....how much is it gonna cost me to get an e1b clip knowing all this seemingly the lights use the EXACT same mounting for it.

his response was ill get that clip out to you asap....im not sure if it will fit but looking at the lights you might be right

try that

for the life of me i cant remember his name though i think it started with a j though

FSCJedi

Newly Enlightened
here is what I said

that I love the new e1l i just picked up....but....the only thing I hate about the light is the clip....i need it to sit bezel down as i work with metals in maching/fabrication and this will quickly destroy the lens....from playing with the e1b and e1l in the store i needed the low first and the longer runtime of the slightly lower output.....how much is it gonna cost me to get an e1b clip knowing all this seemingly the lights use the EXACT same mounting for it.

his response was ill get that clip out to you asap....im not sure if it will fit but looking at the lights you might be right

try that

for the life of me i cant remember his name though i think it started with a j though
Thanks! I'll call them back (and maybe send an email, too) and explain that I just had an E1L clip sent out to me, but that I don't think I explained to their rep what I really wanted the E1B clip for. I'd hate for my lens to be hit with some hot brass at the range... :D

FSCJedi

Newly Enlightened
Ok, here's what I emailed to SureFire's customer service:

FSCJedi's Email said:
To whom it may concern,

I called customer service yesterday and spoke with an associate about getting a replacement clip for my E1L. I explained to him that I was in the military and the clip had broken when it caught on a strap while I was downloading (taking off) my gear. I asked him if I could receive a replacement E1B clip instead of the E1L because of how I carry it clipped to my armor (lens down). He said he could send me out a E1L clip, but that the E1B clip would not fit.

Here's the thing that I didn't explain to him (he was very insistent): I carry lens down so that no sharp or hot metal (such as hot brass at the range or zippers on our canvas vehicle covers at the motor pool) can strike the lens. Both of the listed examples happen frequently and this will quickly destroy the lens. I needed the low first and the longer runtime of the slightly lower output of the E1L for taking it out on field training exercises. That's why I bought the E1L. From playing with the E1B at the store, however, I noticed that the mountings for the clip are VERY similar. How much is it gonna cost me to get an E1B clip knowing that seemingly the lights use the EXACT same mounting for the clips?

My address is:

(Insert address here)

Thank you for you time, and I look forward to hearing back from you soon.
I hope I hear something positive back!

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
tell(call, email, etc) Surefire to bring back the Z52 and whichever is the black version of the Z52.

I already have an E1B so the clip is solid but can anyone tell me where to get a twisty switch (ala L1/2, A2) that will work with my E1B or an E1L? For some odd reason I just don't trust clickies for the long haul and SF twisties are IMO the most reliable switches out there!

cv3po

Banned
tell(call, email, etc) Surefire to bring back the Z52 and whichever is the black version of the Z52.

I did just that (and specified the Z52) and this was their reply:

Dear Sir,
Unfortunately we no longer manufacture the twist-type switches for executive series lights.
Thank you

Greg Lin
Surefire, LLC
Technical Support
800.828.8809 Ext.5174

Does anyone know if there are any other options...............................anyone at all...........................Al, do you know if I'm SOL here?

Last edited:

FSCJedi

Newly Enlightened
I guess I was persuasive enough, because I got an email back stating that a clip will be sent to me (but that they are on backorder currently). Sweet! :thumbsup:

Edited: Here's the email reply:

SureFire Representative said:
Dear Sir,
The mountings are very similar, however the E1B does not use the "clip insert" that the E1L utilizes; this presents a problem when mounting the E1B clip to an E1L light since the E1B clip will create a slight bulge when used with the insert.

If you would still like an E1B clip, I can send one free of charge; but at the time the E1B is a heavily backordered item and as such so are the clips. It will be quite some time until you receive it. Let me know if you still want the E1B clip.

Thank you

Last edited:

joshwang

Newly Enlightened
Please excuse my ignorance, but can anyone tell me how to take the clip off the E1B? It seems that the traditional "Use a Lanyard/String" technique to pull the clip off doesn't work anymore.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
ttran97, what difference is there - if any - between the E1e and E1l bodies?

None...just the color and inscription on the side. Some older bodies have the flat sides, but it's not that noticeable. Otherwise, same length, knurling, etc.

Please excuse my ignorance, but can anyone tell me how to take the clip off the E1B? It seems that the traditional "Use a Lanyard/String" technique to pull the clip off doesn't work anymore.

I put the body so that it's standing perpendicular to a flat surface, with the clip right on the edge and the body & tailcap overhanging it. Then push the whole light down. Flat surface pushes the clip up, body & tail is pushed down. Make sure you take off the head & O-ring first.

FSCJedi

Newly Enlightened
Well, I finally got my E1B clip in the mail about a week ago (I guess "heavily back-ordered" just means about a month wait!). I had to clip the "ears" off of the little plastic spacer that sat under the original clip, but after I did that, the E1B clip slid in nice and tight (w/o the spacer, it jiggled a little bit and I didn't like that)! I love it! :twothumbs