Best Battery Setup for Surefire C2 LED

zlf15

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased a surefire C2 with the malkoff M60 drop-in. I am currently using the standard surefire CR123 disposable batteries. I have heard that 2 x AW 3.7 RCR123a would work very well in this light. Could someone explain the best battery setup for longest runtime and brightness. How much improvement can I expect? Also please tell me where I can purchase these batteries. Thanks.

crocodilo

Enlightened
I recently purchased a surefire C2 with the malkoff M60 drop-in. I am currently using the standard surefire CR123 disposable batteries. I have heard that 2 x AW 3.7 RCR123a would work very well in this light. Could someone explain the best battery setup for longest runtime and brightness. How much improvement can I expect? Also please tell me where I can purchase these batteries. Thanks.

My own setup is a C2 with a Solarforce Q5 drop-in (should be a little inferior in quality to a Malkoff, but it's cheap, works just fine anyway and outhrows anything else I've got). Batteries are those AW protected rechargeables.

Comparing to primaries, you can expect from the rechargeable AWs:

1. Shorter runtime (??? around 60-70% of primary time ???);
2. Possible increase in brightness, may depend on the regulator, though;
3. Free lumens once you've used them for a couple of cycles, enough to cover the cost of primaries versus cost of rechargeables;
4. Less eco-concerns.

If #1 poses a problem, just carry spares or a backup light. I know I do.
Or, trade brightness for runtime, get an M60L or M60LL. I'd love to get my paws on an M60L, but total cost of buying new is too much for me, and second-handers are scarce...