Totally OT, but...

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i replaced the chain/cable on my garage door opener about 6 weeks ago. it was set up incorrectly by the prior homeowner, and it rapidly became damaged.
it was expensive--about $50!

i was wondering what to use to lube the chain with, if at all. i have a wide variety of greases and oils. the chain already has a very light coat of lube on it.

boring question, i know, but i dont want the chain to wear out and break anytime soon (i have already carefully tensioned and aligned the chain, and checked/lubed the pulleys/bearings, so that part is done...but i cannot seem to find any info about chain lube).

the irony is that i am an ex certified master mechanic--and clueless!

any ideas?

Bob

snuffy

Enlightened
It's a low stress application. Any kind of light oil will do. Even 3 in 1. I wouldn't use WD-40 because it doesn't last as a lube.

Tombeis

Enlightened
Good question.

So, I asked my son in law who is a Certified Harley-Davidson mechanic. ( Chain drives on some motorcycles.)

He recommends a product called "Chain Wax" chain and cable lube.

The can says:"fling resistant special parafin base, O-Ring chain safe.

Although they recommend preheating the chain, he said on your application just spray it on, and wait ten minutes for it to dry before using the chain.

Buy it at motorcycle shops. About $8.00 a can.

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
I use Super Slick - Slick Stuff from Certec. It's great for the garage door tracks, chain drive, and other miscellaneous hardware lubrication needs. But it sells for about $10-$12 a can.

-Jim

BTW, I like the motorcycle chain lubricant idea - think I'll give a can of that a shot as well.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
My father owns a garage door company, Let me see if I can find Stanley provided chain lube. I will ship it out to you if I find it. BTW, If anyone with rolling code technology door opener needs a keypad. I have a bunch of them.

Moat

Enlightened
I concur on Maxima's Chain Wax - I've used a number of motorcycle chain lubes over the years, and this stuff not only lubes well, but dries to a non-tacky protective film that stays put and doesn't attract dirt/dust to any extent. Good stuff!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Bob

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW!

you folks are great!

you even understand garage door openers--which is definitely out of my expertise.

V8, thank you very much for the offer--i will certainly accept, but i dont want you going out of the way. i can probably see if there is some good stuff right around here.

but, if you insist, and really have the time and energy, i will gladly accept your gift, and of course, pay for shipping.

jees. used a lot of commas there...

Bob

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
btw i would not put 3in1 on anything i cared about.
that stuff gums up fast.
a high quality motorcycle chain lube will do just fine.
clean and lube once a year and it will probably outlast you.