900 lumens my butt..?

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I saw that here so I was wondering if anyone thinks it's a GOOD P7 or real one or whatever?

DocD

Enlightened
by what people have posted about all the other P7 powered mini torches,
it will be bright 400 lumens or so with 30 meters worth of throw and get very hot in your hand, but not bad for 50 dollars if you want that kind of thing

kaidomain

Newly Enlightened
Direct drive a P7 C-bin with a fully charged single 18650 does gives you high lumens output at first (500-900 lumens). Light output will drops as battery voltage decrease. This is nothing new. Direct drive a CREE Q5 with an average VF will gives you 250-300lumens for a few seconds as well.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bottom line, do you guys think it's worth the money?

Hmm, I see I already HAD my question answered.

COme to think of it, since kaidomain is here, do YOU have something similar for the same money (or better) and I guess since I asked it would be ok to post a link?

YOu have way too many lights to choose from and I don't know enough about them to know what's what :)

kaidomain

Newly Enlightened
Bottom line, do you guys think it's worth the money?

Hmm, I see I already HAD my question answered.

COme to think of it, since kaidomain is here, do YOU have something similar for the same money (or better) and I guess since I asked it would be ok to post a link?

YOu have way too many lights to choose from and I don't know enough about them to know what's what :)

We cannot post any sales information here. There are about fives lights that uses P7. Four of them are DD and one is boost circuit. Out of all of them, I found Aurora P7 the best. I am judging based on beam pattern, reliability, assembly quality, and usable brightness. It's a direct drive with MCU mounted for 2 modes and 5 modes. They are available to ship anytime. If you want a quality light and are willing to pay three/four times as much, wait for a quality manufacturer like Fenix/Olight (I am not sure if their P7 prototypes will make it to the market, or the Surefire UA2, or something else). I am also waiting for CREE multiple die LED sample.:popcorn:

K

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not buying anything else with a P7 in it unless I know for sure they are driving it at full power. I want to see a proper circuit that offers flat regulation at full power for however long a single 18650 can drive it, or maybe a light with 2x18650.

I have the MTE P7 from DX. I took it apart and replaced the thin wires with thicker wires, as some have done, and I can get it to draw about 2.4A off my 18650's (AW or Trustfire). It used to only draw 2.1A. I assume it's a bit brighter, but I don't think I'm seeing the full potential of the P7.

bessiebenny

Enlightened
Yeah. I've had hands on experience with Aurora AK-P7. Quality is superb. P7 is mounted on a big solid brass (or copper) pill also.
But it gets WAY too hot to hold after about 10 minutes. And I mean WAY too hot that I can't grab it without a thick glove. haha.
My friend took it off me while I was doing the runtime test coz he was afraid it'll blow up on the 1st day. =P
(I was about 50 minutes into the test and it was down to about 60% brightness from 100%)
I guess it's for those who use it in short 1-5 minute bursts. But whoa it's very very bright! =)

I'll add it to my review thread in the next few days. =)
(gawd, my thread is getting way too big for its own good....)

Initial test results: (with non-fully charged 18650)
~8000 lux @ 1m (hotspot is HUGE)
~400 lux in my lightbox

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
I guess it's no different that an extreme hot-wire with regards to use. It's capable of producing those lumens if driven correctly but only in short bursts. That's ok with me as long as the manufacturer advertises it as a short run light and makes it clear that those are 900 peak lumens for a minute are so.

bessiebenny

Enlightened
Bigger the flashlight, there is a better chance it'll be brighter for longer as it has more heatsink ability. So maybe this one?
That's assuimng if the driver/regulator is decent enough to pump good amount of power to the LED.

Most other single 18650 lights are direct driven. So they will all be very similar in output.
(Same LED, same battery all identically driven with nothing between them. Just different body shapes.)

frank777

Enlightened
Yeah, I bought a similar eBay P7 from China Quality Goods. Supposedly DX has it for less $.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250242658435&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=015

It is SUPER bright and makes my U2 look like a candlestick. But after about 15 minutes on high, it gets too hot to hold. From an 18650, it draws 2.6 amps on high, and 160 ma on low.

I think it is well worth the money because it is the first pocket sized flashlight that is so bright, it feels like I'm holding the sun in my hands.

Last edited:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, I have no plans on holding something like this for 15 minutes unless I'm using it to fry an egg or something.

Second, I do like this design better. I never did like the front of the lights on Kai (no offense) and I get irritated when every light I see looks like that :)

How's the quality?