Holding the light

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a bit of an issue earlier today, but the light was going down on a pool repair, and what was on the holster today was the Malkoff M60+6P, so it got used. But by the time the sun was down, my mother was still holding the thing a foot, foot-and-a-half away from my workpiece despite some gentle (and some blunt) suggestions that it was too damn bright and needed to be held further back.

At some point, I just got fed up with it and grabbed a ROP-lo and defocused it all the way so it'd be less blinding, despite protests that it'd be quicker to just use what we had. (ha!)

Does anyone else know what can be done about backscatter blinding? Do I just need something dimmer, or will a diffuser do? I don't want to give up the ability to light a room with ceiling-bounce, and I love the throw, but I'm very careful when using this in close quarters so I don't end up blind. What can I do?

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try a diffuser first. If it doesn't work for the more specific applications, it will still be useful to have around incase a floody light is needed.