g2 and malkoff m60

persoontje

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'd like to upgrade my old g2 with a led dropin. I heard that the nitrolon could not handle the heat of it. Is it worth putting a 6p bezel on in it, or would I still get heat problems?

HKJ

Flashaholic
Hi,

I'd like to upgrade my old g2 with a led dropin. I heard that the nitrolon could not handle the heat of it. Is it worth putting a 6p bezel on in it, or would I still get heat problems?

The P60L dropin will reduce the brightness when it gets to hot. I have this combination and like it for short bursts of light. But if your want to use the light for extended periodes and want full output, you need better heatsinking.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps you would consider the Malkoff M60L for your G2. It will give you 140 +/- lumens for approx. 4 1/2 hrs. and Gene says:

"Note: This drop-in module was intended to operate for extended periods in metal or plastic lights." This is from Genes web site for the M60L.

I find that I like Genes M60L much better then the SF P60L. FWIW my 0.02

Last edited:

persoontje

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your replies,

But does the alluminum bezel make any difference for the heatsinking or is that not enough for the m60?

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know for sure if it is. I know that a M60 will not go in any of my G2's and all of them have the aluminum bezel. I am not convinced that the G2 bodies will not damage my M60's.

I will also admit that my G2's only get M60LL's, so I am probably overly "anal" about it. But it helps me know which lights have which mods in them. i.e. G2's have M60LL's, 6P's have M60L's, and 6PL's have M60's. In this way I always know what light has what model in it. FWIW my 0.02

jbviau

Enlightened
Well surely the aluminum bezel would make *some* difference, but no one on cpf has done the tests to see exactly how much they help. If you're the extra-cautious type, I'd stick with an all-metal host.

For me, I've decided that this is a bit of a non-issue because I just don't plan on using an M60 in candle mode. Short little bursts are usually all I need. I would, however, really like to have 2 modes available with this particular drop-in so that I could have the option of using low for extended periods. You never know what might happen. If Gene made a 2-mode version of the M60, I'd snap it up fast. I'd rather not mess with my tailcap in order to get the same result.

Last edited: