How deep underwater can i go with the Fenix P3D?

rotisiao

Newly Enlightened
just got it for bicycle offroading and trekking, but i was just wondering how waterproof is it? I know it can be fully submerged, but i also dive and was wondering how deep can i go with it? :thinking:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I would not dive with it but it should work at least 2m under water.

The main problem is the clickie switch will get pushed in under pressure.

I know there is at least one person here who uses a P1D-CE as a back up dive light.

:welcome:

JB5

Newly Enlightened
The description on the fenix store page just says to IPX-8 standard but I am not sure what that is.

Last edited:

Midnightrun

Newly Enlightened
The description on the fenix store page just says to ICP-8 standard but I am not sure what that is.

IPX standards are for marketing, they never give you a clear idea of the water resistance. I wish manufacturers would stick with a depth rating.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
IPX8 means it can be submersed past 1 meter for over 30 minutes. How deep and how long, I think there was that info somewhere from Fenix. 4sevens might have posted it.

rotisiao

Newly Enlightened
bah..guess it would be useless for diving. It will stick to offroading and trekking then. Thanks Guys!

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
[SIZE=-1]IPX-8 - water-tight under immersion for 30 minutes under 2.6 meters (8 feet) of water.[/SIZE]

I'm sure this is just common since but I would use a certified dive light for diving, not a light rated IPX-8.:shakehead

Bill

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto on what Hitthespot said...most waterproof lights are NOT submersible...checks the spec's...this usually has to do with the tolerances between the O-Ring and the body, and are usually given only for "informational purposes". For example, "Waterproof" to "MIL-STD-810F, Method 512.4" only means that it meets requirements for fording operations...if you have this light in your bag on the outside of a tank/hummer, crossing "rough" waters, it will stay dry on the inside for AT LEAST 30-Minutes, and still function. If it say's "water/weather proof", that means that the manufacturer "thinks" it is. Until a light has a MIL-Spec (military specifications) attached to it(meaning that it was actually subjected to those conditions), the "weather/water-proof" statement is only realible as the light/manufacturer it-self.

Illum

Flashaholic
forget the IPX-8 standard, static pressure tests don't exactly work the same as an actual submerging.

Proper Lubed and cleaned...I was told its safe to be used within 2-3 meters..

refrain from using the twisting operation underwater unless there are two O-rings on the body.

if your really worried about it, then put some scotch tape over any openings on the body, as long as it doesn't heat up too badly you can remove the tape afterwards without any leftover residue.

I've used nothing but 3M tape on a modified 2D Eveready and it made its way to the bottom of a 8 feet deep pool with no bubbles:grin2:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
2-3 meters is not very deep diving. :nana:

IPX-8 is more for "in case I drop my flashlight in a puddle" situation. I'm not a diver, so I can't say for sure how deep it can go before :poof: I wouldn't risk it though.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Another poster has gone diving with a P1D with no problems, and a few other posters have accidentally run theirs through the wash without a hitch. No clicky means no problem :)

Jauno

Newly Enlightened
I have kept P3D (and L2T v2.0) in two meters underwater for max. 2 hours and no signs of leaking water at o-rings or anywhere else. No problems at all.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
You maybe could use waterproof tape or something of that nature to seal with theads, so you can then use the button, presuming the button is secure enough :confused:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread makes me want to take a P3D out to the lake and lower it down to 100+ feet and leave it there for awhile. :)

Last edited:

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
This tread makes me want to take a P3D out to the lake and lower it down to 100+ feet and leave it there for awhile. :)

I think that would be a smashing idea, take a p3d and tie a thread to it, and dangle it somewhere good for testing, so we can all see the results! Please keep all arms and legs inside the thread at all times.